• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitation

Shell79

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle Mylroie
Hi all I have a 18 year old amazon I think he is regurgitating his food now and again how would I know the difference if it is sick or not thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Regurgitation is controlled. The bird brings it up and gentle pushes it from their mouth onto a certain spot.

Vomiting is bringing the food up and shaking their head side to side quickly resulting in the food going everywhere.

If you are not there to see it happen, you can tell if it is vomit as it will be all over the walls and generally all over the place and sometimes even stuck to the birds head etc.

Shell79

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle Mylroie
OK thankyou he has only done it twice in the last week never seen him do it in 28 years he is also very horny rubbing himself on his perch never really seen him do this either not to this extent and also some of his poops just have the white urate and no poop will see how he goes.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
My 36 year old BFA does this occasionally during the summer. He will "feed" his bells and toys as if they are babies. Doesn't really bring up much, and it only lasts a couple of weeks. I guess it would be around the time they would have young.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
There is abnormal regurgitation - in which the bird brings up food with a head bob, and doesn't "deposit" it or swallow it back down, and it kinda just spills out of the beak. Or they'll sling it like they would if they were vomiting.

You can spot the difference easily if you're keeping a close eye, as abnormal regurgitation is a symptom of illness and is often accompanied by other symptoms, like lethargy/sleepiness.

Shell79

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle Mylroie
He had dropped it to bottom of cage once just a neat clump not that wet and 2 other times just keeps it in his mouth then eats it again. Seems to be he starts in the morning rubbing his privates all over his perch with a funny noise then later starts attacking his toy then brings up the food. He is on antibiotics at the moment to rule out an infection will have to see what happens

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Shell79

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle Mylroie
Thanks for replying yes I'm from Blackpool and he had some funny poops they was just white urates with no actual poop I had antibiotics left over from a previous time I contacted my vet to ask if I should start them again but now I'm thinking it all could be hormonal most of his poops are ok