• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitating

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
My male has been regurgitating while with me. He wiggles his neck and then slings his head back and forth so the food goes flying. Is this a bond to me or is he sick? I've been doing some painting in the house recently and although the smell is not perceived by me could this make him vomit? What would other symptoms be of him becoming ill because of paint fumes? I had them outside during the actual painting but after the paint was dry some hours they were brought back in the house. I am also noticing his stools are a bit runny and he refused his usual treats this evening. So now I am worried...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fligging the head is a symptom of vomiting, not regurgitation. Does he look like he is yawning a lot of panting, gasping for breath? Energy level? Wings drooping? All can give you clues about illness.

The fact that he is vomiting, coupled with loose stools and lower appetite says to me that a vet visit is in order, or that he at the least needs to be removed from the house.

How far from the painting is he? Did you use Low VOC paint?

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Regurgitation is an up and down bobbing of the head and birds very rarely actually bring up food when they do it, generally they just go through the motion as a sign of affection.

Vomiting is a more violent, shaking of the head side to side, flinging food, they have no control. If your little one has been doing this regularly, he needs to see a vet as soon as possible. In the meantime get him someplace where he's well ventilated in case it is the paint fumes.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That is regurging for plets, milo does the same thing. I call it the wiggle neck dance.

I just saw the part about him being off treats, definitely take him in for a checkup.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is regurging for plets, milo does the same thing. I call it the wiggle neck dance.
Well you learn something new every day!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny

Well you learn something new every day!
Let me try to find a video, if you look up koolaid the plet on youtube there's a video where he's excited about having egg to eat and he does the wiggle neck dance, he doesn't bring food up though that I can think of.

I do want to reiterate that if the little one has been off food, even treats, then he should be seen by a vet asap!

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my questions. I moved my birds into a back bedroom last night..far away from any paint fumes perceived or not. I don't know if it is the bird safe type of paint and I will assume not. Rio seems good this morning but I know how good they are at masking being sick. He ate the usual this morning so I will watch him today. He was shaking his head back and forth and food slinging so I would call it not a bonding behavior. I have seen him do the wiggle neck dance many times as he and Raina are a bonded pair and have had a clutch together this spring.
I have a screened outdoor pool deck where I can put on a gently blowing fan and give them fresh air today. I just don't know how long the paint would continue to be toxic to them? It has been 24 hours since it was applied.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Personally I would have given it a few days to air out before bringing birds back in. Can you open up your windows today? If you feel it is truly vomiting then he should definitely be seen by a vet. Part of the trouble with Plets is that they are just so small, he doesn't have a lot of physical reserve if he is sick. Very glad to hear that he's eating better today

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Actually they have been in fresh air all day today. Rio has not continued vomiting...that was last night and he seems 100% this evening. He is eating his treats and acting normal. Lesson learned...should have known better.
Personally I would have given it a few days to air out before bringing birds back in. Can you open up your windows today? If you feel it is truly vomiting then he should definitely be seen by a vet. Part of the trouble with Plets is that they are just so small, he doesn't have a lot of physical reserve if he is sick. Very glad to hear that he's eating better today