• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitating Sun Conure help!!!

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Hello everyone!
A particular habit I have noticed my sun conure has picked up on is regurgitating.

Its mating season for him because it is in conjunction with some birdie masturbation but I have noticed that my little Cygni attempts to regurgitate a lot! He sees me handling something with my hands, he starts head-bobbing rapidly and doing a "nom nom" motion with his beak. He sees a measuring cup, same thing. The orange dish-washing brush, ditto. Now however, whenever I remove the current stimuli, he finds something else he loves and immediately want to regurgitate on it! His rope toy he likes to sleep on, his steel cup for his morning fruits and veggies, his yellow wrapped dowel perch on his play stand, my bed! Just my bed! If he is on it, he'll run under a bunch of blankets and I'll hear him doing the bobbing motion. We have only one room in our apartment and if I enter the room no matter the time (usually around midnight) if he hears me make a noise, there he goes banging on his toy in that regurgitating motion! He never actually regurgitates up his food, only a little pellet-y liquid like he's just starting to. When he does it at night however I always find hardened green liquid mush on his sleeping toy and some remnants on his beak in the morning! I check the sides of his cage and his other toys and find no flecks of food (so not vomit) and he doesn't do a flicking motion its a definite head bob motion. His poop is normal, behavior is very loud and very horny but other wise normal. Feathers in good condition, his eyes clear, his nares are dry with some dry sneezes and the occasional wet sneeze but otherwise normal. His last check-up was in May.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to help tone down his regurgitation or have any opinions or similar stories about this sort of behavior???

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you know the difference between regurgitation and vomiting?

tasha1986

Moving in
Real Name
tasha dawson
My jenday conure is doing exactly the same thing, ive tried distracting her (at least we think its a her lol) doesnt work though, shes definitely regurgitating not vomiting.

Any tips would be appreciated thanks

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sneezing is not normal for parrots. What is the humidity in your bird room? It wouldn't hurt to have that checked out.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Do you know the difference between regurgitation and vomiting?
Thankfully yes! My little one gets carsick, so that was definitely a head flicking from side to side and food splattering everywhere in his carrier kind of action versus what he is doing now, which is a rapid up and down head bobbing followed by him licking his chops a little. It only occurs with stimuli as well and does not happen randomly.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Sneezing is not normal for parrots. What is the humidity in your bird room? It wouldn't hurt to have that checked out.
Unfortunately I am not sure how to figure out the humidity in my parrot room! I live in southern California and it is a tad dry. My bathroom however is in the parrot room (which is my bedroom) so I leave the door open after a shower so that can allow some moisture into the room and I make sure he gets baths every other day as well. He has had a warped nare ever since we adopted him and has been on antibiotics before to rule anything out and goes to the vet once a year. We believe he might be allergic to either my hair or my dander as well because he only will sneeze when he sits on my shoulder, when his warped nare bugs him, and occasionally after he as regurgitated. So he will typically sneeze 2 maybe 4 times a day, and he only sneezes when he is digging around in his nare. I definitely am always on the alert though when it seems abnormal and am constantly worrying about every little thing with my guy. Luckily my avian vet is 2 minutes away from my apartment so if anything I can pop if the sneezing gets out of the ordinary!