• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regrettable situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett s

Strolling the yard
I have a problem , my life has taken a turn and I need to regrettably rehome a sun conure , he is very attached to me and I have had him for around 5 years, I know they are hard to take on but I'm hoping someone with the time and knowledge may be able to give it a go , I won't charge anything for him and I'll throw in the cages and food and everything else. I'm in Toowoomba in Queensland and am happy to deliver him to anywhere within a few hours . If anyone has any advice or suggestions please feel free to help. Thanks . IMG_1037.JPG

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Have you contacted Parrot Rescue Centre? They could help you foster or adopt him out, and you can be sure he's going to a good home. I would advise against giving him away for free, just simply in case of flippers.

You actually don't live far from me. I'd be willing to give it a go, if not for the fact that one of my birds is a psittacosis carrier. Rather not risk it in anymore birds than I already do.

brett s

Strolling the yard
Thanks , I will be screening any potential owners , he is an awesome bird and very friendly with me, obviously he will be a handful for anyone who takes him on for a while so I'll only let him go to someone who knows what they are doing.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Well, I'm sorry you are going through this. He's a beautiful bird. I would still try PRC and see if they can help find someone. If your situation is temporary, they might be able to help find a foster. I also believe that you would still have the last word on any potential candidates if you adopted him out through them.

Edit: forgot to add, the application process for adopting a bird from them involves a very detailed questionnaire, so you should have a good idea of the people asking after him.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry you have to rehome him. He's beautiful.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry to hear this. @Casey I don't know if this is anywhere close to you or if you would be willing to take in a little guy needing a home.

peppermint

Meeting neighbors
i'm also sorry you have to rehome your baby. i can't imagine how hard it is.
good luck!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:

OOOhhhso sorry as I know how much he means to you & he you...

I hope you find the best forever home for him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that you need to rehome. Hope that you can find a wonderful new home for him. Perhaps you can find someone who can keep him temporarily.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If i lived closer, we could have seen how he'd go in my home. I already have a male sun conure, so I'm aware of their noise and needs. But I'm all the way down in Sydney :(

I'm so sorry that you need to rehome him. Getting help from The Parrot Rescue Centre is a great idea.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ohhh that would be nice. He is a sweet beautiful Sun...

Towoomba is a distance from Sidney but maybe it could be worked out...

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am so sorry to hear this. @Casey I don't know if this is anywhere close to you or if you would be willing to take in a little guy needing a home.

Aww, thanks for the thought Zoomom :hug8:
Unfortunately I live on the bottom Australia and they live at the top.

Sorry you're having to give up your baby.
I agree PRC are the way to go, they are lovely to deal with. Once you read the surrender form you'll quickly realise how thoroughly they'll assess homes for you, well worth the small fee :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am so sorry your having to do this.:hug8:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
He actually hasn't been sexed so may even be a female , I'd almost drive him to Sydney to be with the right person , thanks for all your input.
It may not be just a case of the initial one way trip of 860km (535 miles), but the issue of what happens if the 2 suns don't get along. My bird room isn't big enough for another bird if they don't get along. Not to mention not having time to juggle separate out of cage times. I already have to have sep out of cage time for my Sun and my Hahns Macaw and I don't think each bird will get its fair share of time out if I have to do this with 3 birds.

If we lived closer, I'd be more than willing to try it - but its such a long trip if the 2 suns can't co exist peacefully.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You could consider looking into Qantas pets if flying the bird down do TWR was an option. Their website now does live quotes and is much easier to use than previously.
Then I suppose worst case scenario, you fly them back.
All booking can be done online too, super easy.

However it'd cost you probably $100 each way. (again, the website will give you an instant quote)

Domestic Shipment Registration Wizard

Anyway, probably not what either of you want to do, but it's an option.

brett s

Strolling the yard
Thank you everybody for your response, I've gone in a different direction now and decided to keep George, I think the separation would have been too stressful for both of us. I've had to change his routine and he now has to spend time at home alone, he seems to be ok although a little louder but always happy to see me after a few days away. Thank you again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.