• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Refinishing a Cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
My mom is getting rid of some of her older cages. One of them was for her G2. It would be perfect for Tiki the Caique. However, like most older cages, there are areas of rust, mainly on the bottom pan. She offered it to me but otherwise it will probably go up on craigslist for practically nothing.

Does anyone know of a safe way to refurbish/refinish a cage like this? If I can refinish it, I can give it to Tiki and give my Senegal Tiki's current cage. That way they'd both be in bigger cages and I'd only be out the money for the repair materials.

I've read conflicting things so far so I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me something more definitive or maybe even first hand experience.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If it was my cage I would try to replace the bottom with a piece of plexglass or something and turf the old one. If the bird doesn't spend time on the bottom of the cage I would just get rid of the small bits of rust left with a steel brush or steel wool. You can touch up the spots with some paint like Krylon. As long as the bird isn't a bar chewer.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If its just the grate that is rusty, and the cage is going to a smaller species of parrot that doesnt mess with the paper on the bottom of the cage... I would just put paper down over the grate until you can have it either re-powdercoated or see if a cage company could sell you a spare grate.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I was going to recommend contacting the cage company about a replacement grate/tray as well. :)

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I have no idea who the manufacturer is unfortunately. I know one of the cages she has is a California Cage, which I know is no longer in business.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it was my cage I would try to replace the bottom with a piece of plexglass or something and turf the old one. If the bird doesn't spend time on the bottom of the cage I would just get rid of the small bits of rust left with a steel brush or steel wool. You can touch up the spots with some paint like Krylon. As long as the bird isn't a bar chewer
Try this it's a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.