• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Refillable toy idea

Jewells

Moving in
Birds destroy toys very fast and it can get costly having to buy them new ones every other week. But a simple and cheap way to entertain your birds is by using a millet spray holder. Just fill it with things such as cardboard, paper, ribbon, treats, and even hay. When there done pulling everything out and making a big mess all you have to do is just stuff it again. It’s my parakeets favorite toy and they play with it everyday! You can hide treats in it for a good foraging toy! 22951719-592D-4762-9A61-287174057D44.jpeg
There favorite thing for me to put in it is Timothy hay. But make sure it’s not sprayed with pesticide or has any bugs! 95A3615F-AD13-409C-BC69-EA5A36064411.jpeg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Great idea! I love a good old foraging toy:p

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I would avoid ribbon, if I were you. It's not easily cut through by a small beak and the silvery coating is probably hazardous. I'd stick to crinkle paper sold by bird toy vendors.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Good idea! Please keep a close eye though; I have sadly seen smaller birds get stuck in these holders and perish :(

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my God! I went on to her FB page. Can you imagine if she didn't find her in time? So glad this had a happy ending.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There are baffle cages for the same thing but the birds are not able to get inside it. My bird loves his baffle cage even if I just stuff all the same things back in it that he just pulled out.

That poor budgie wedged in that millet holder looks so scary, I am so glad the owner was there and the bird was alright.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Mhert do you actually own one of those toys you posted about?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The forage balls are great for all sizes too, though they're kind of a pain to thread open/close. :lol:
We have the foraging balls. Buzzard is the only one who plays with his. He loves it & it has held up but it is loud when he bangs it around his cage. o_O And I agree, the tiny threads on it are a pain to get right without crossing them.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Mhert

Meeting neighbors
@Mhert do you actually own one of those toys you posted about?
I have two of the blue ones, the openings seem like they might just be big enough for a budgie or a similar sized bird to get their head caught in.

I also have a few smaller and larger forage/buffet balls. They're a headache sometimes, but I really like them on the kabobs or for the bigger guys to knock around on the floor.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have one of the ones you posted a link for. The first one i got broke as soon as my bird stood on it (faulty screw bit) and the second one i put in the cage he had undone in less than five seconds. No use putting it in considering he has it open faster than I can open it :/ I am not a big fan of this particular forage toy (neither is my bird to be honest) but there are some great refillable ones out there.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Though technically not “reusable” because the boxes themselves are paper. My birds love their Chinese take out boxes that I make for them.
I put toys, favorite nuts, crinkly paper, and grapes in the boxes before closing the boxes. Remarkably these are some of the longest “lived” of my toys and they are super easy and cheap to make.

Attachments

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I have the Hol-ee roller and Hol-ee football for my birds. I use them in a similar way by stuffing different things in them, but the holes are smaller and it's made of rubber. The rubber is a bit "bulky" though and might be better suited for medium sized birds rather than smaller.