• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reed diffusers (and other odor/fume exposure questions)

MochiRed

Moving in
So to preface, I’ve been pretty on top of making sure there’s no fragrances or candles are used around Mochi. It haven’t been much of an issue since the house has two separate HVAC systems for each floor and it seems to do a pretty good job at keeping the rare candle use separate judging by the air quality monitors.

However, a bit ago my sister got a Reed diffuser because she was getting annoyed with the smell of dog in her room. Initially I thought Reed diffusers were probably fine since they are passive diffusing, but a lack of information on the topic has me rather nervous now. Most information points at it might not being ok in the long run but there is no real definitive answer. Cannot convince her otherwise that it’s likely not a good idea for both the dog and Mochi, and my family is thinking I’m just being paranoid about it.
So the question is, would a Reed diffuser in an entirely separate room be ok? Mochi’s cage is now currently sitting at the top of the stairwell (not a seperate room, it’s the hallway) so I’m seriously concerned about the exposure risk here.

Which now leads me to the second question!
We’ve been planning to move Mochi’s cage downstairs since finding out it’s likely not healthy for us to have her cage in my room. She will be placed in the living room, and we will be building a small outdoor cage for her to enjoy some outdoor time as well. However, the spot in living room is right next to the garage door, which is where I keep some chemicals for printing and stuff. Likely I can move most of them to the shed, but I’m still concerned about any potential fumes getting to her when I use them, such as the heat press I have for heat transfers. The garage itself has a separate AC unit and vents to the outdoors, similarly to the way our oven/cooking vent is set up. I figured that should I use them, putting Mochi outside would probably be best to prevent any sort of exposure to anything harmful, as I previously had my past birds in the outdoor aviary with no problems. But still, I’m a rather nervous person :shocked4:
How long do you think I should wait prior to letting her back in should we need to use anything that may emit harmful fumes for? Would the rule of being unable to smell anything = safe apply in this case? In terms of odor, the worse I use would have to be something called Rapid Tac, which is essentially similar to goo off in which the main ingredient is D-limonene. I had actually spilled a fair bit in an interior room downstairs and had to call them for proper clean up. I was told that once the odor is gone it would be safe, and while the odor from both inside the garage and inside that room seemingly is gone, I’m still rather unsure how much longer I should wait before moving Mochi down to the living room >_>