• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Redbelly weird "chewing" motion when I talk to her.

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
video

she only does this when I am actively speaking to her. I always wonder if she is pretending to talk? She doesn't have a regurgitation issue which is the other thing I would worry about. Does anyone elses bird do this?
She is a 3yo red belly parrot, has a clean bill of health was just at her check up a while ago and has no hormonal or aggression issues.
I'm pretty sure she's just being goofy, but I didn't see anything on google about other peoples birds doing this. Any thoughts?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think she’s happy that you’re talking to her. If it’s the same kind of thing that my cockatoo does, it’s basically like she’s talking back to me sort of. She also does it when I’m giving her a scratch in a really good spot.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I’m not sure but she’s absolutely gorgeous. Either it’s a happy behavior like Xoetix said or it could be something to do with her sinuses. My GCC was doing some unusual tongue action for a while. I took him to the vet and it turned out he had some old feathers and whatnot stuck in his sinus cavity. She gave him a sinus rinse and it stopped immediately. He hasn’t done it since.