• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent red swelling around cockatiel eyes

Carlos P.

Checking out the neighborhood
hello everyone, today i noticed one of my cockatiels had a little red swelling on the back of his left eye. im not sure of what it might be, scratching mistake, irritation, beginning of a disease.
all i know is that he is acting normally, no snezzing tail bobbing, no sick behaviour, and when i gave him scritches i touched it and he didnt seem bothered at all.
Is this something i should be worried about??
here are some pictures of the swollen eye and the other normal eye for comparasion

Attachments

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
It looks like a little mass. It could be something or it could be nothing. I would recommend you take him into the vet soon. Sometimes those things can large quickly and you don’t want his eyes/vision being affected. As long as it doesn’t swell larger you could probably go to the regular vet and not drag him off to emergency unless the vet at the emergency clinic is better than the regular one. Other than that he is a very handsome boy :)

Carlos P.

Checking out the neighborhood
It looks like a little mass. It could be something or it could be nothing. I would recommend you take him into the vet soon. Sometimes those things can large quickly and you don’t want his eyes/vision being affected. As long as it doesn’t swell larger you could probably go to the regular vet and not drag him off to emergency unless the vet at the emergency clinic is better than the regular one. Other than that he is a very handsome boy :)
i see thank you very much its smaller then when i looked at it before so ill keep an eye on it for today and if its not gone by tomorrow ill take him to the vet. And thanks i think he know how pretty he is since he poses for some photos hahaha :D

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Sounds like a good plan. You just have to be careful around the eyes because sometimes the swelling or issues are below the skin as well as above and it’s hidden because birds have larger eye sockets. If it goes away then no harm no foul. He probably just bumped the mirror making himself so pretty ;)