• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Red? Plucking?

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
One of my ladies had a tendency to get mites and we couldn't figure out what was happening. Mites like wet warm areas. They will get under the feathers and cause a lot of irritation for the poor bird. It's why I'm so crazy about the diatomaceous earth since it was so inexpensive and worked in two days. I would just go out, take the earth with my hand, then kind of massage it into the affected areas. My Oko seemed to absolutely love the attention a the massage (she loved having her wattle massaged and being petted behind her ear). That being said, my girls are kept outside in a heated coop. My neighbor who shares the fence with the hens had a pipe that was leaking water and attracting the little critters. That was eight years ago and we haven't had mite, roach, flea, etc. problems.

I would be curious as to what type of infection. Was it an infection based the scratching? The itchiness based on the mites? Thank you for sharing the information! I want to keep it in my list of potential issues.
So it looks like it's an internal fungal and bacterial infection. We got oral antifungal medicine and oral antibiotics. There's also an external topical medicine we're trying. We're not sure what caused it, exactly.