• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Red? Plucking?

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway

Sammy's been itchy lately, and upon closer inspection, there's a spot of red. Sometimes, she makes noise, like she's in pain. Is this from pin feathers? Are her wings irritating her back? Please, please help.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sorry this is happening to you and your bird. At first glance I thought maybe pin feather but then looking closer I don't think so. I wouldn't think it's her wings causing it.

The sad thing is there are many medical conditions that cause picking. I'd advise you go to a vet to rule medical reasons. Sometimes it can be behavioural. If it is behavioural there are treatments you can try. But its important to make sure it's not medical reason first. I wish the best of luck with it. And please keep us updated

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I hope you can solve this Quickly:( I wish your bird and you all the luck you can get!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What @Sarahmoluccan said. Definitely seems to be plucking. Get it checked out and treated ASAP, because if you don’t manage to successfully stop it now, it may become a habit - and an unending pitched battle. :(

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
It looks like plucking to me as well. Plucking can have so many causes that it would be a good idea to get this birdie into an avian vet to get a check up. Usually they check for external parasites as well as diseases the bird could have.

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway

Hi, everyone. Thank you for your responses. We've made an appointment to take her to the vet on Saturday morning, but right now, the redness seems to be gone. She still has small patches missing near her tail, but I'm hoping.. things will be okay.. <3

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
Hihihi, everyone. Sammy went to the vet today. The doctor took a sample from her, and it seems like she has some sort of medical thing. Medicine is coming soon, so for right now, I just have to keep an eye on her. Lots of baths in her future.. poor itchy baby.

Thank you for all your support. <3

Attachments

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Aww, hope she gets better!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I hope she feels better soon!

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Hummm, I have heard of mites and birds but I have never had a bird that had mites. Did the vet talk about any other possibilities?

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
Hummm, I have heard of mites and birds but I have never had a bird that had mites. Did the vet talk about any other possibilities?
It could also be related to some sort of infection, I think? I'm not sure. The medicine she'll get treats multiple things, so it hopefully covers whatever's wrong..

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
One of my ladies had a tendency to get mites and we couldn't figure out what was happening. Mites like wet warm areas. They will get under the feathers and cause a lot of irritation for the poor bird. It's why I'm so crazy about the diatomaceous earth since it was so inexpensive and worked in two days. I would just go out, take the earth with my hand, then kind of massage it into the affected areas. My Oko seemed to absolutely love the attention a the massage (she loved having her wattle massaged and being petted behind her ear). That being said, my girls are kept outside in a heated coop. My neighbor who shares the fence with the hens had a pipe that was leaking water and attracting the little critters. That was eight years ago and we haven't had mite, roach, flea, etc. problems.

I would be curious as to what type of infection. Was it an infection based the scratching? The itchiness based on the mites? Thank you for sharing the information! I want to keep it in my list of potential issues.