• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Factor Lovebirds???

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I was reading a book and saw a pic of a red factor lovebird. Just out of curiousity I was searching for info online and I really couldn't find anything useful. I am thinking about writing my next paper on what ever is going on with these genetics. Can anyone explain it for me :)

Attachments

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jennifer, I noticed there is a red factor in the new Bird Talk that just came. I think April's issue. I came across it and thought wow! It was just a picture.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
That sure is one pretty bird!! Never heard of a red factor lovie, but I suppose anything is possible :)

Can't wait to see that pic in my new Bird Talk! Neat!

Lex123

That is so pretty! Looks so fake, it is so awesome!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I find it looks weird...might just be because I've never seen this before but it just doesn't look like a lovie to me. I'm also looking forward to the next Bird Talk..

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I was reading a book and saw a pic of a red factor lovebird. Just out of curiousity I was searching for info online and I really couldn't find anything useful. I am thinking about writing my next paper on what ever is going on with these genetics. Can anyone explain it for me :)

Jenn!! Oh my gosh, I saw one in the newest Bird Talk and was going to do a search for them too. They are gorgeous!!

AZReno

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lynn
This isn't a red factor like in other birds. They call it red suffusion and there is not alot known about it. It's believed to have something to do with the birds health, it's been known to show up and disappear in the same bird and does not carry on genetically.

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
Jennifer, I noticed there is a red factor in the new Bird Talk that just came. I think April's issue. I came across it and thought wow! It was just a picture.
I was about to say!!! I saw that too, and It's may's issue.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
This isn't a red factor like in other birds. They call it red suffusion and there is not alot known about it. It's believed to have something to do with the birds health, it's been known to show up and disappear in the same bird and does not carry on genetically.
Tight thats it, I knew it was called that but I couldn't remember, I thought I read a long time ago that it was like a genetic anomaly or something that they couldn't re-create.

Just kind of happens.

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
Well, call me weird, but I'm perfectly content with my normal cute little yellow beast! lol. The red just kinda looks.... odd... and maybe out of place...

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
The name of the mutation is Danish Redino and it does exist, although I don't know if there are any in the US. If any of you have The Colored Atlas of Lovebirds by D'Angieri, there a little bit of information in there about it. The mutation is also on the cover of the book.

Baboo's Momma

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
The picture you showed is the same picture show on the african lovebird society page on Red Suffusion. Not much is known about it and it hasn't been able to be passed down again through breeding so is not technically a mutation , but an abnormality. As another poster said it is thought it may be connected with liver disease.

I have never heard of Danish Redino Val, would love if you could link me a bit of info. It would be very exciting to see red start to appear in peachies.

AZReno

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lynn
I trust the mutations listed in "Lovebirds, ownders manual and reference guide" more than I do the colored atlas, I have both. Van den Abeele wrote it and is a part of the Mutavi group that researches genetic mutations and feather structure. The red suffusion has not been shown to be a mutation, not even what they consider a modification.

mask

Walking the driveway
Real Name
mask
There's not one single case in the world where a red suffused bird has produced red suffused young, so it can never be classed as a mutation.

It is commonly a genetic alteration where the yellow psittacin in the feathers turns red, for an unknown reason. It's been seen in eyering and peachfaced species. Some are born with the colour and lose it, some develop it at an older age and die! I myself had a personatus born with a red collar, it lost the colours during it's juvenile moult though.

The atlas, whilst a wonderful book to own, has alot of out dated information which due to research over the past decade, is proven inaccurate. The redino is a prime example. :heart:

Eliza

Jogging around the block
The atlas, whilst a wonderful book to own, has alot of out dated information which due to research over the past decade, is proven inaccurate. The redino is a prime example.
I agree re: Alessandro D'Angieri's book (the one published in '97, anyway). I believe that he has published an updated version but it is apparently quite pricey.

I found Dirk Van den Abeele's book to be very interesting, even if a lot of it went WAY over my head :p The quality of the photographs is far superior to those in the atlas as well. Keep in mind that I bought both books out of curiosity (what can I say: I LOVE lovebirds) rather than an interest in breeding and/or the genetics behind mutations and feather structure.

mask

Walking the driveway
Real Name
mask
Dirk's book is fantastic for anyone interested in learning the ropes of genetics and mutations. Infact it's the only book I have ever read cover to cover multiple times! The BVA (belgium lovebird society) also do a monthly magazine and the articles in here are fantastic aswell, but they are in the Dutch language. I have offered to translate the articles for the BVA as I speak English and Dutch, but I don't think it will happen unless more interest develops. It's sad really as I always look foward to my monthly magazine arriving, each time there's new info and photo's that you won't find anywhere else. I'm sure there's tons of english speaking lovebird nutters out there who would love it!

I can't find anything about Alessandro's updated book, let me know if you find anything please! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.