• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red-crowned parakeet(kakariki)

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Does anyone here own a red-crowned parakeet(kakariki)? My local bird hang out just sold one but the owner had coughing issues since getting the bird so they are returning it tomorrow. With my limited interaction with this baby, it was super sweet and pretty hyper. The store's manager and employees think it may be a good bird for me. If you have been on the lovebird section you will not that I have had horrible luck trying to find a clean lovebird. Anyways if anyone has any experience with these bird when they mature, I would love to hear about it. Are they cuddly birds? More independant? Hyper? I haven't been able to find to much info on these guys as companion pets. I currently have sun conures and wanting to add a cuddly social bird to my bird family. Am currently waiting for disease testing on my 4th lovebird but they would hold the kakariki for me if I wanted it because they know I could give it a good home.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds like you really want this bird. I hope things work out for you. Pictures yet?

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Sounds like you really want this bird. I hope things work out for you. Pictures yet?
He is cute but I really don't know anything about this bird to make decision. All babies are adorable, the noises it makes is too cute for words... I need to know what its like 5 years from now lol. I'm not one to make impulsive decisions. I really want my lovebird but if this 4th one comes up positive for a disease, i think i will have to give up that dream for awhile and everyone is suggesting looking at a different species.

Last edited: