• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red bellied parrots- Sad Update Post #41

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
So with a heavy heavy heart I'm updating you on the pair. The test results came back as positive for beak and feather. After a discussion with my vet, I decided to euthanasia them. All the people I know have birds and I couldn't put them up for free for the chance of someone trying to think they will make a quick dollar and get someone else's birds sick. I also have other birds and couldn't take the risk of them getting infected.
When I brought in Dill, the vet said he looked more infected due to his demenor of being on the bottom of the carrier. I am truly heart broken today.
For the week that I had them, I showed them love, patience and kindNess. I hope that they will at least know the feeling of being loved.
Thank you for all your kind advise and experience to help me with them, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so very,very sorry. :crycry: Thank you for taking them in and giving them kindness for the last few days of their lives. It's too bad that you or the vet couldn't have found a kind person who didn't have any birds who would have taken them. Maybe that first person who sold to the kid has sold other birds with PBFD or may be breeding them.

Last edited:

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I am so, so sorry for your l loss. Thank you for giving them love in the end.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
The vet told me that the female was so unhealthy that it wouldn't be fair and by the looks of Dill he was too.
It was sad by the time we got to the vet, Dill was at the bottom of the carrier with his head down...kind of like he was taking a sleep on an invisible pillow. Daff was up on the perch scared as anything. :(
I spoke softly to them before the vet came in, they wouldn't let me be with them that moment of their last breaths. Oh how my heart aches.

I am so very,very sorry. :crycry: Thank you for taking them in and giving them kindness for the last few days of their lives. It's too bad that you or the vet couldn't have found a kind person who didn't have any birds who would have taken them. Maybe that first person who sold to the kid has sold other birds with PBFD or may be breeding them.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I am so sorry.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh no, I am so sorry! :sad11:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm so sorry to read this :( please be sure to clean VERY thoroughly wherever these birds were kept. PBFD is a very hardy virus and can persist in the environment for up to 6 months. A bleach solution is going to be your best bet.

Unfortunately the discoloration in the feathers that one of them had is a classic presentation for PBFD in some species. It's a heartbreaking disease for sure. It is thankfully becoming more rare but there are still disgusting people out there still breeding birds knowing that they have it, and are exposing other vulnerable species to it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Once again, so sorry. You tried and that means a lot.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
I just read through this post and I am so sorry for your losses.... Thank you so much for taking them into your loving home even when you knew that they were not in very tip top shape.... Even if they were scared, I'm sure they knew very well that they were in great hands.. The fact that you tried and helped them means a lot to all of us... Thank you again for taking them in and giving them the best last few days...
:sadhug2:

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Apparently it is going around where I am. I spoke to someone who owns a parrot shop in Mississauga...I'm in ontario canada... and has been told from a couple of vets that several parrots have come in their clinic with it and have asked her to warn customers.
I posted a short shorty of what happened to my birds and myself and the owner commented back that there was someone in the store today that their baby bird had it.
From the grape vine, it is becoming more common in the Mississauga and Toronto area. Not sure if anyone reading this is from that area but please be careful!!

I'm so sorry to read this :( please be sure to clean VERY thoroughly wherever these birds were kept. PBFD is a very hardy virus and can persist in the environment for up to 6 months. A bleach solution is going to be your best bet.

Unfortunately the discoloration in the feathers that one of them had is a classic presentation for PBFD in some species. It's a heartbreaking disease for sure. It is thankfully becoming more rare but there are still disgusting people out there still breeding birds knowing that they have it, and are exposing other vulnerable species to it.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your losses.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania