• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red bellied parrots- Sad Update Post #41

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Iamwhoiam, ymdo you breed your rb or are they pets?
I'm just curious if you think that they are plucking each other due to hormones or if being together is stressing them out and monkey see monkey do?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to breed but stopped several years ago. Ricky & Lucy are the parents of the babies I have. They never plucked one another but they did start fighting and Lucy got hurt twice. The first time was minor but the second time she needed stitches and that is when I separated them. I kept some of the clutches caged together for many years but then they started fighting with each other, too. Mulder and Scully were getting along fine but Scully got sick and so I had to separate them and he's better off in a smaller cage. All my r-bs now have their own cages.
Monitor and see if they are hurting one another or if they are pulling their own feathers.
If you can set up a camera so that you can watch from another room that could be helpful.
There could be medical reasons for the feather issues so the sooner you get the two of them into the vet the better. Do you see any fresh blood? As I wrote in previous post it looked like there was dried blood under the wing.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Thanks for your constant replies!
I don't see any fresh blood, no. The closest vet appointment is on Tuesday.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that there is no fresh blood. Hope things go well at the vet's.
How are they doing?

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
So kind of you to ask, thats much appreciated.
They are still scared. I'm trying to use millet to ask them to let me near them. So far, they just fly around and scream. I'm only giving millet at this time for this purpose. Along of course with their main pellets and veggies, I was hoping this treat would go over well, I'd love to use nutriberries as I've put that in the cage with them but they just are so terrified. And to be honest, the nutrition berry is small and they tend to bite out of fear.
I'm trying to limit my interaction with them to allow them to settle in and also because I'd like to wait to see what the females blood work comes back at.
I spoke to someone who suggested to test the female at least for the beak and feather and the other main diseases. They said, if she has it the male may also have it as they are together.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
See what the vet has to say regarding testing for PBFD. I was going to suggest that but the feathering issues could, of course, be due to other things and didn't want to go there although since you have another bird in your home it would probably be good to do that. It's good that you are not forcing them to interact with you. It's probably extra scary for them going from one place to another and then finally to your home. Who knows if they were elsewhere before the seller sold them to the kid. It would have been good if that kid or his parents could have let you know who had them before because then perhaps you could contact that person and get more info.
If you knew what they were eating before that would be helpful but that kid probably has no idea about that. My red-bellies don't like millet. As treats they like Lafeber popcorn, Avicakes, pine nuts and almonds. They get Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill, Caitec Oven Fresh Bites pellets and mixed veggies. Mine are not big into fruit.
Do they seem to get along with one another since they were sold as a proven pair? Do they sit together and preen one another?

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
I know that's what I was saying to the kid that sold them to me. I asked if he even had the persons contact information and he said no. I was so shocked as he hadn't had them for that long, why not keep the number to keep in touch? No idea!!
They appear to get along. The male likes to be by the female I noticed. When I go in my spare room, they are usually perched together. As I get closer, she tries to move around to get away from me and he stays there until I'm in the room for a couple of minutes and he goes to the perch with her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It really is strange about him not being able to tell you who had them before him. Did he tell you how he purchased them: from an ad, at some kind of bird mart or swap meet???
It's good that they get along. Mine can visit with each other but only under supervision.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
All he told me was some guy off our local ad site, kijiji.
I wanted them because they are not common here at all and I thought if they breed they breed and if not then they can live as they choose to here. I'm not asking anything from them if they don't become tame.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
If you know how long the kid had them, maybe you can look on past ads on the site....as they say...if its online....its there forever

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ricky and Lucy aren't really tame. Ricky will interact with me more than Lucy and he does step up on a stick. I've heard Lucy say "Hello" but Ricky is very chatty and says a few words and phrases. When I first got them it was the opposite. Lucy was friendlier.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Well, we went to the vet. He said he doesn't believe it to beak and feather disease but maybe chlamydia especially not knowing the history. She weighs in at 95g and shows signs of vitamin a deficiency. She is supposed to be 110 to 115g.
He suggested at this time to do what I'm doing at home and by Thursday I should have the results. I got her blood taken for chlamydia and beak and feather. He suggested to go by aloe vera water concentrated to spray on her wing that's been chewed and to get vitamin a capsules, to make a small pierce in one and out one drop on her pellets along with better the diet diet I've been giving to her.
He said that if she has chlamydia that the male would more then likely have it so he would treat him too.
Let's see what Thursday shall bring! I hope it's neither!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update. Did the vet do a full blood panel in addition to the tests for Chlamydia & PBFD?
95 grams....that is low. 110-115 is still a bit on the low side, IMO, unless she is a small female rb. My females weigh in the low to mid 120s.
I really hope that they will be OK and that the test results come back negative.
Are they eating better?
Sweet potato, carrots and squash are good sources of vitamin A.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Hi.. he said to wait to see what the results come back as first before further testing.
If it's chlamydia I'll treat it but if it is beak and feather, well let's not go there yet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that they are eating more as well as eating healthier foods.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
I agree with iamwhoiam. My female rb weighs in around 130g and is a healthy weight for her size, with good body condition, according to the vet, so 110-115g seems low. Hopefully they are well on their way to being healthy and happy now that you have them. My two's favorite treats are almonds, walnut pieces and blueberries (blueberries are also a part of their diet a few days a week, but they never get tired of them, so they're good treats in moderation also). However, none of those items are really easy to hand to a scared, bitey bird, so I'm not sure how that is helpful :( Mine also don't like millet. They both love to chew on paper though. Maybe you can start by rolling up paper or crumbling it like a toy and putting treats inside the paper & handing it to them once they get used to you being around them a lot and they are feeling better (healthier). With her weight being so low and the condition of the feathers being so poor, I imagine this is not the best time to try and actively bond with them since they likely feel pretty bad. Maybe more passive behavior, like just being around them in the same room and talking to them without the added pressure of touching or closeness.

Last edited:

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
@AMidnightSoul Are Gizmo and Darby bonded?
@iamwhoiam No, but it's not because of a lack of trying on Gizmo's part in the beginning. They get along well most of the time and frequently sit together and preen, but Darby only preens Gizmo for a few seconds as a way to prompt him to preen her or regurgitate for her and she never regurgitates for him. She doesn't care that it should go both ways. She really has no interest in returning the favor for Gizmo except as a ploy to get him to continue preening her. He doesn't mind for the first hour or so, but after that, he'll ask her to stop and when she doesn't, he'll fly back to his cage or somewhere next to me as a detour away from her and occasionally she throws a fit when he does that and flies after him like she's going to force the issue and I have to sternly say her name so she leaves him alone because it intimidates Gizmo.

I have a feeling the dynamics of their relationship will likely change as time goes on. Gizmo is 14 and Darby just turned 2 in March. I've only had her for about six months (I've had Gizmo for 4 yrs), so I suspect there might be a day when I can't let them out together any longer. I hope not, because Gizmo is a mostly hands off bird with people (he loves petting, but he'll eventually nail you and his bites require stitches or cause nerve damage) so it's good for him to have another living being that can snuggle close with him or show him hands on affection, but Gizmo is easily intimidated by other birds and if she learns that she can easily bully him, I have a feeling she will try to take full advantage once she gets a little older. I've been working with her on boundaries so I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but I know it's not guaranteed.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@jeansie1988 Any update on test results yet?

@AMidnightSoul It's possible that they will stop getting along with one another. I had that happen with several rbs who were caged together. Now everyone has their own cage. They are OK out of the cage together except for Sophie and Claudé who start bugging each other too much. Hope this doesn't happen with Gizmo & Darby. Also I don't have the girls hang out with the boys. The sisters are sweet but the boys can be nippy. Got nailed by Scully today. :( However he doesn't like taking his meds and he is getting tired of me poking a syringe in his mouth twice a day so he lashes out. He bit me through the towel. My other boys will bite, too, though and it isn't always predictable.