1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red bellied macaw

Discussion in 'Macaw Motorway' started by Perryberry, 10/11/17.

1. Perryberry

Perryberry Strolling the yard

I've seen a few threads from years ago about red bellied macaws. Any updated info? Are there any breeders in the U.S.? Are they ever available? They are really intriguing!

2. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    So popular I'm not sure I know what one looks like. :shy: Hope someone can comment.

3. Joseph012

Joseph012 Walking the driveway

To my knowledge they are not present in the US. They are quite difficult to breed in captivity and those who tried in the 80s/90s when it was easy to import had very little luck. There are several pair in Europe. One successful breeder in the UK recently passed away, and I'm sure his birds are for sale, but probably couldn't get them to the US very easily.

4. cosmolove

cosmolove Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Erica (:
    I never even knew what they looked like until this thread and I googled them! They're pretty but I don't think I've ever seen anyone post about having one in the US

5. aooratrix

aooratrix Macawaholic Super Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Matthew
    I have not seen any available for years. I can't think of anyone raising them, and I could point you to just about any psittacines species kept in America. According to Voren (not my favorite aviculturist), they didn't adapt well to captivity and had dietary requirements that were hard to meet in captivity.

faislaq likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)