• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Red and swollen eye

Echolicious

Moving in
Real Name
S
I NEED HELP ASAP

I took my 5 year old Alex to get his nails and wings clip. When I got home.i put him and his cage and left . I got back and noticed he wouldent open one of his eyes . It looks red and swollen . It's nearly 1 am here so all the vets are closed and I'm close to having a panic attack . Is there anything I can do to help his injury. I have contact solution and an eye drips for humans but im not sure if thats safe. m guessing his eye got hurt while his nails were being done . I'm gonna call the people up tomorroe but for now i just want my baby to feel better. He won't open his eyes up . There's no discharge from the eye nor it is crusty . He keeps rubbing . I tried to put cold water but I think it's getting him . Please anything would help

Attachments

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Poor baby. :c I'm not sure what you could do for him, other than maybe applying some aloe vera to his skin to help with the itchiness or run a humidifier. I wouldn't use eyedrops or contact solution, though. I'm fairly certain they're not bird-safe.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You should be able to use saline eye drops. My vet's office uses them.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I’m sorry that something happened to his eye and I hope it heals quickly!

Echolicious

Moving in
Real Name
S
Update 1

So last night I used an ice pack and put it close to his eye . I woke up and made an appointment for the vet but thank God his eye looks much better. He still closes his eye but then after a minute or two he will open it . It's still a bit swollen but not as much as before .I'm going to see if I can try and ice his eye again and get some saline drops to help him . I'll wait another few days and hopefully his eye will be better otherwise it's vet time ! Does anyone know the best kinds of saline drops ?? A picture will be helpful . Thank you for everyone . I'll update soon :)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
It could be allergy

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I wonder what happened? Maybe they clipped his nails with a dirty clipper & he scratched his eye & got an infection? Clippers should be at least wiped w alcohol between birds & I have read that not even that is effective at killing everything.

A birds nails are in contact with poop & they could also just wipe it into there eyes but it seems odd that it happened after the nail clipping.

Hope he will be fine...

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your bird's eye. Hope it is better soon. When is his vet appt? Maybe you can get in sooner than a few days.

chyenne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chyenne
Hopefully, your bird gets better!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He could have an infection in that eye

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
More than likely if you vet uses a dremel he could have gotten some dust in his eye from that. Not much you can do other than saline solution and give it a day or two! Keep an eye on it and visit the vet if it does not I'm prove in a couple more days! Hope all is well soon!