1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Red and swollen eye

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Echolicious, 5/1/18.

1. Echolicious

Echolicious Moving in

S
    I NEED HELP ASAP

I took my 5 year old Alex to get his nails and wings clip. When I got home.i put him and his cage and left . I got back and noticed he wouldent open one of his eyes . It looks red and swollen . It's nearly 1 am here so all the vets are closed and I'm close to having a panic attack . Is there anything I can do to help his injury. I have contact solution and an eye drips for humans but im not sure if thats safe. m guessing his eye got hurt while his nails were being done . I'm gonna call the people up tomorroe but for now i just want my baby to feel better. He won't open his eyes up . There's no discharge from the eye nor it is crusty . He keeps rubbing . I tried to put cold water but I think it's getting him . Please anything would help

Attached Files:

2. Garet

Garet Rollerblading along the road

Garet
    Poor baby. :c I'm not sure what you could do for him, other than maybe applying some aloe vera to his skin to help with the itchiness or run a humidifier. I wouldn't use eyedrops or contact solution, though. I'm fairly certain they're not bird-safe.

3. enigma731

enigma731 Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

You should be able to use saline eye drops. My vet's office uses them.

camelotshadow likes this.
  4. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    Aw, I’m sorry that something happened to his eye and I hope it heals quickly!

5. Echolicious

Echolicious Moving in

S
    Update 1

So last night I used an ice pack and put it close to his eye . I woke up and made an appointment for the vet but thank God his eye looks much better. He still closes his eye but then after a minute or two he will open it . It's still a bit swollen but not as much as before .I'm going to see if I can try and ice his eye again and get some saline drops to help him . I'll wait another few days and hopefully his eye will be better otherwise it's vet time ! Does anyone know the best kinds of saline drops ?? A picture will be helpful . Thank you for everyone . I'll update soon :)

6. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    It could be allergy

7. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    camelotshadow and Echolicious like this.
  8. Echolicious

Echolicious Moving in

S
    Thank you! I'll deffinetly pick it up today

9. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

I wonder what happened? Maybe they clipped his nails with a dirty clipper & he scratched his eye & got an infection? Clippers should be at least wiped w alcohol between birds & I have read that not even that is effective at killing everything.

A birds nails are in contact with poop & they could also just wipe it into there eyes but it seems odd that it happened after the nail clipping.

Hope he will be fine...

Last edited: 5/2/18
  10. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sorry about your bird's eye. Hope it is better soon. When is his vet appt? Maybe you can get in sooner than a few days.

11. chyenne

chyenne Meeting neighbors

chyenne
    Hopefully, your bird gets better!

12. greys4u

greys4u Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

He could have an infection in that eye

13. BirdManDan

BirdManDan Rollerblading along the road Vendor

Dan
    More than likely if you vet uses a dremel he could have gotten some dust in his eye from that. Not much you can do other than saline solution and give it a day or two! Keep an eye on it and visit the vet if it does not I'm prove in a couple more days! Hope all is well soon!

BooBooGuisewit likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)