• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recommendations: carrier / travel-cage for little birdies

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I did read that it is very heavy... but I really am probably not prepared for just HOW heavy! LOL.
Hopefully I can just lug it to the porch, or maybe I should buy some more rolling tables! ;)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Irene&Momo and @MommyBird - Well... it arrived. OMG... ya'll surely were not kidding when you said heavy.
It took two people to put it together, and we were wishing for a third to lift it after it was all assembled... OH MY GOSH!
The latches with the springs were not exactly the easiest things to work, and one youtube video said they never did get
the latches to the feeder doors working right. We did manage to get everything where it is supposed to go, and operable, so
I am quite grateful for that. Well, I did need some exercise, but WHYYYYY would they make these things SO heavy?

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@Irene&Momo and @MommyBird - Well... it arrived. OMG... ya'll surely were not kidding when you said heavy.
It took two people to put it together, and we were wishing for a third to lift it after it was all assembled... OH MY GOSH!
The latches with the springs were not exactly the easiest things to work, and one youtube video said they never did get
the latches to the feeder doors working right. We did manage to get everything where it is supposed to go, and operable, so
I am quite grateful for that. Well, I did need some exercise, but WHYYYYY would they make these things SO heavy?
yeah, you could use it to anchor a boat.
Maybe they want to be able to say the price per pound is a great deal?

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
@Fergus Mom, that's to bad! Are you going to keep it?
Maybe some people like it because of the weight it stays put in the care?

I have made my decision, I'm going to order the Pak-o-Bird. I would really like it to take Momo out and have her comfortable for at least a few hours.
So thank you all for the advice and tips. But if someone has more to share, I still like to hear it!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
yeah, you could use it to anchor a boat.
Maybe they want to be able to say the price per pound is a great deal?

@Fergus Mom, that's to bad! Are you going to keep it?
Maybe some people like it because of the weight it stays put in the care?

I have made my decision, I'm going to order the Pak-o-Bird. I would really like it to take Momo out and have her comfortable for at least a few hours.
So thank you all for the advice and tips. But if someone has more to share, I still like to hear it!

Oh yes, I'm keeping it... I can't imagine paying the freight back on this weighty thing! (I'm picturing a million dollars here LOL)
Given the fact that Fergus and Fiona have only been in any travel cage about two times, it might just sit across from their cage and look pretty in all it's ruby colored glory! Since the huge door opens all the way, today I'm going to try putting travel cage blocking their door - here's a photo. I titled the photo "And now, we wait. And wait, and wait...." LOL Stubborn little rascals aren't they? F & F TRAVEL CAGE WAITING.jpg

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

I love the cage that @MauiWendy got with this door! I don't know how I missed that one when shopping!
@Farlie - I think the bar spacing would be too wide for budgies, with your Amazon dog crate, right? Of course it doesn't tell about bar spacing, since a dog can't get through!

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy

I love the cage that @MauiWendy got with this door! I don't know how I missed that one when shopping!
@Farlie - I think the bar spacing would be too wide for budgies, with your Amazon dog crate, right? Of course it doesn't tell about bar spacing, since a dog can't get through!
I do believe the bar spacing is too large for budgies. I love my travel cage. It’s all set up to use in a pinch/emergency.

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I wanted to thank you all once more!
Last Wednesday I bought the green Pak-o-Bird (small). I'm in love with it. Since I'm still training her to be comfortable in it I have no fun pictures yet. But they will come!

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Simon always wants a date on a string and a small paper bag before he will get in. I'm sure Momo will enjoy it so much she will ask to get in or even just get inside and sit on the perch anytime she wants to go out. Simon will go and sit by the Pak-o-Bird if he wants to spend time on the porch with me and the outside birds.

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
@simon777 that sounds very reinforcing! Thank you.

This is her set up right now. Everyday I put something nice in her bowl so she will associate it with nice things. And hopefully the adventures we will take will be the reward itself.

Attachments

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
And here I sit envying everyone with these great travel cages loved by your birds!!!
(with my 842 thousand pound cage)... Hey - to their credit, they are eating millet from the edge of the door that is touching the window perch today... that's as close as they have gotten to this behemoth of a cage! I told them today I hope to heck by the time they get in the dang thing I'm not too old to tote them to the front porch!!! :coffeescreen:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Irene&Momo Awesome setup!

And here I sit envying everyone with these great travel cages loved by your birds!!!
(with my 842 thousand pound cage)... Hey - to their credit, they are eating millet from the edge of the door that is touching the window perch today... that's as close as they have gotten to this behemoth of a cage! I told them today I hope to heck by the time they get in the dang thing I'm not too old to tote them to the front porch!!! :coffeescreen:
:lol: awww hopefully they will get used to it soon! :)

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
:spinning::whip2: we lack an emoji for weight-lifting. like I said, mine makes a nice small table. no lifting required.

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
@Fergus Mom, last week I asked my boyfriend in the bird store to humor me and lift that same cage up. Well... at least it feels robust :pinkgrin:
I put bells in mine because I no she likes those. Maybe put a nice toy in it that you know they like? Keep us updated!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Fergus Mom, last week I asked my boyfriend in the bird store to humor me and lift that same cage up. Well... at least it feels robust :pinkgrin:
I put bells in mine because I no she likes those. Maybe put a nice toy in it that you know they like? Keep us updated!

LOL...! But you didn't pick it up huh?
I can't say as I blame you. :)
So far, in this anchor weight of a "travel" cage, we have:
One comfy rope perch, one plastic perch, LOTS of millet, a mirror with a bell, 2 wood block toys, (oops, no, make that 3), a flat round wooden perch, a finger trap for shredding, and the Croc shoe with shredder material. Oh, not to forget a dish of seed.
I'm doomed I tell ya!

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
@Fergus Mom, if it was big enough I would go and sit in it! Sounds like a true 'play-resort' (if that's a thing)! Maybe you can make a trail that goes in it with little seeds? But I get it, Momo is still skittish of going in to her €300 carrier. The things we do for love(birds).

And well, okay... I'll be honest... I tried to lift it...

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Since going out on walks and cycling through the dunes she visits her pak-o-bird a few times a day and gets excited every time I touch anything in it... Worth every cent!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s awesome! :cool: