• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recommendations: carrier / travel-cage for little birdies

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Hi everyone!

I'd like to hear and see what your recommendations are about carriers for a little bird.
I have one now, and I'm not happy with it. It is dark inside and very bad quality.

The reason to have one is off course to take her to the vet and in case of emergency. But now that the summer begins, I'd like to take her to the park, or somewhere else outside where she can enjoy the sun en fresh air. About this last part, please let me know what your experiences or thoughts are!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a dog carrier for the vet. It´s like a mesh thing, it is black so I don´t take any birds for days out in it. I use the harness and take the bag as a back up incase the harness breaks (I´m paranoid).
IMG_20190226_150525.jpg IMG_20190226_150415.jpg

@TikiMyn has a nice carrier, but I don´t know which it is.

Last edited:

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I have a Pack-a-Bird for Simon who is a rainbow lorikeet. Simon likes it. It has a perch and two stainless steel rings with removable bowls that can easily be reached from the perch. There is a double zip at the front opening flap. The front and sides have a fine mesh that allows in daylight and sunshine but also attach down, with Velcro, sides and front to reduce light or stop full sunshine if you wish. The back has a small mesh window with cover too. The shape is basically a backpack to be worn on the front with adjustable straps for over the shoulders. Bruce had it shipped to New Zealand from the USA somewhere. Bruce said there were 3 sizes to choose from. We got the large one because Simon has large feet. Simon goes to the vet in it and on outings like going into non-food shops or a walk to the beach or a bush walk. People love to ask Bruce what he is carrying because Simon will whistle and make happy noises. I would really recommend a Pack-a-Bird.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
The carrier you have looks like a Celltei knock-off. You get what you pay for.
I have the Celltei Birdie GoGo and there's lots of light and great visibility for them to look out.
The owner talked me into getting the rope perch instead of the wooden perch. I got both and he prefers the rope.

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Sorry I got the spelling wrong. It's Pak-a-Bird, no c. Bruce says he paid $250.00 for it five years ago. Very pricey but well worth it. And it can be worn front or back.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Sorry I got the spelling wrong. It's Pak-a-Bird, no c. Bruce says he paid $250.00 for it five years ago. Very pricey but well worth it. And it can be worn front or back.
actually Simon it is officially Pak-o-Bird (o not a in the middle). :) We know what you mean. Just giving you a poke.
and I wanted to send a hug to a kiwi in all this unimaginable sadness.
:sadhug2:

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Simon777's carrier is the best you can get since you can have the option for the mesh to be stainless steel. But they are bit on the pricey side. I use a puppy/cat backpack for my guys, I just added perches inside. The black one is 3 yrs old and has no sign of wear n tear.

The company just came out with their own "bird" version but it is nothing compared to the pal-o-bird. They seem to make the bird version on small batches and they sell out pretty quick. Its weird, it is normally $100 but when it is out of stock it jumps up to $200-400 which is crazy.

Here is my non bird version. Amazon.com : Petsfit Comfort Dogs/Cat Carrier Backpack, Hold Pets up to 15 LBS, Go for Walk, Hiking and Cycling (Grey and Blue) 17" H x13 L x11 D : Pet Supplies

20181105_142951.jpg

Last edited:

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
OMG! I'm so happy I started this thread! I love all the pictures, ideas and most of all, seeing all those happy birds well taken care of!
Thank you all so much for these nice ideas! If anyone else likes to share as well I'm happy to see more!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Irene&Momo .... Ahhh travel cages. The bane of my life... or perhaps, the challenge.
Where do I begin. Neither Fergus nor Fiona will enter a small cage (FULL of millet) I have three small cages now. The two that Fergus and Fiona were originally in, and one more that I bought for a travel cage. To NO avail. They STILL won't get IN the darn thing.

So.... I decided that maybe they weren't going in because the door wasn't large enough. I am going to be the proud owner of this one, as soon as it gets here, and SO help me - those birds BETTER love it! (AND GET IN IT!) LOL I mean, hey, it's a HOTEL for crying out loud! :rofl:

Midwest Poquito Avian Hotel

MIDWEST POQUITO AVIAN  HOTEL.png

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@Fergus Mom :laughin:
I've seen the one you bought. It is very pretty indeed! But did you know it is 8,5 KG? You probably won't have to go to the gym after the trip to the vet
I have one. I use it as a low table in the bird's room. It is so heavy and I hate it, and the bottom tray works funky.
way way way too heavy. One of my worst purchases.
I got the cellti birdie go-go then and some aluminum King's travel cages. All very light and well made. Best purchases.