• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recall training

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I had a semblance of it going some years ago but didn't reinforce it so they forgot. Chickie is readily flying short hops when I say Chickie come. JoJo associates it with being caged so wouldn't listen. Today he trusted me and flew to my finger for a sunflower seed. I immediately put him back on the play top. We did this twice and I used a different tactic to put him in for bedtime. We should get stronger with this training tomorrow hopefully.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I trained Pilo to fly to me with a whistle and clicker training just in case he ever decides to escape to the outside world without me. Albeit I have never had the need to use the whistle inside the house as he never leaves my side and will always fly to my shoulder when I am out of his sight! Guess he loves me as much as I do him, in a paternal manner of course! :rolleyes:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Both JoJo and Chickie are flying over short distances to me from a playtop level with my eyes. Not from a height though.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is a great start.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Rio doesn't step up yet, but he readily flies to me when called. He will also go to a perch I indicate. But he'd rather go on my head.

Torrie *wants* to fly to me but she just can't make herself. She paces frantically when I call her.

Skittles flies to me very well now, and will go to a perch when asked.

Those are the ones cooperating at the moment. I had let 'fly to me' fall aside. Gotta nail it, just in case they ever get loose.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Mo doesn't like it when I look like I'm going to leave his sight. He flies to me. But when I try the recall training he thinks I'm gong to put him in his cage... Hmmm I gotta do something about that. He gets millet when he comes and even more in his cage when he's been a good pupil.

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Great job Chickie!!