• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recall training, exercise, etc FLYING ADVICE

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Hi all! I have just started recall training my amazon Pi, recently. Not sure why I didn't start before but I've always really wanted to start doing this training with her. She spent the whole first 4 years of her life as a perch potato (never had toys). I've had her for a year now and she's come out of her shell to a degree... plays with toys and sits in different spots rather than the same old spot her last home had for her, as they had a swing she mained and then had maybe 2 extra perches in her cage.
However I have to place her toys strategically in her favorite lounging spots or she will not dare touch them.

Anyways, I have done so much research! I've read a ton online about activities to do with flying and the basics of recall. However, now that it is officially in practice, I am feeling I don't know if it's overwhelmed, confused, or what lol.

Basically, I would like a few pointers from those who do indoor fly training and activities related to flying.

Firstly, our favorite treat to get her to fly to me is sunflower seeds. I figured for the short sessions and because she IS flying and burning calories more than usual, they will be okay. I see other people using them as training treats. Is it alright for me to use them as training treats? She really likes them.

Second, how short should our sessions be at this moment? I think in a perfect world doing 2 sessions of 5-10 minutes each for the start a day would be ideal but it appears that I only have time for 1 session a day that I can truly commit to at this moment. What are signs she is getting bored?

Thirdly, I suppose I will target train her to have an easy trick for her to do when she starts getting frustrated and needs some easy victories to make it a positive experience. Thoughts?

Fourth, how do I know she is properly building muscle and stamina to advance to more challenging and physically challenging flights & how slow should I take it to ensure she doesn't overtire or get sore? She has been flighted her whole year with me and I believe her year with the previous family. I know she did NOT fledged properly as she was clipped as a baby. She does do laps around the room occasionally if excited, scared. And she occasionally flies to me if shes excited to see me or if I have food she wants (but i never share unless it's healthy).

And finally, if you have ANY sort of advice or additional fun games we can use in flight training, I would love to know.

My end goal MIGHT have to do with outdoor freeflight but I am uncertain right now... I might do that course instead of attempting (and probably failing) to do it on my own.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
On another note, Pi already appears happier & and excited when we have done these flying exercises twice so far in short sessions! She makes cute noises while flying to me, and talks a bunch when she lands on my hand, and her eyes pin in excitement when I squeal at her for her success!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Firstly, our favorite treat to get her to fly to me is sunflower seeds. I figured for the short sessions and because she IS flying and burning calories more than usual, they will be okay. I see other people using them as training treats. Is it alright for me to use them as training treats?

To keep your bird interested you need to switch up the treat. If you always offer the same thing, she will think ¨hmm, do I want a sunflower seed right now?¨ and could decide, she does not.
If you switch the treats, she will have to come over to find out which treat is available this time. I don´t mean, use sunflower seeds today and almond tomorrow, I mean, each time must be a random treat.

You can use sunflower seeds, but use other things too: small chunks of almond, small diced pieces of fruit, you can even use pellets.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
She will only work for high-reward treats. She used to be a seed junky, specifically a sunflower junky and safflower seed junky but the safflower seeds are challenging for me to use, they are so tiny, and I believe too tiny a reward for her to TRULY care about working. She loves apples so I can add apples to the mix... other than that, she isn't too ape-crazy about things other than Nutriberries but they take too long to eat.

I've followed a few training resources for flying and read that their highest value reward (for her, probably sunflower seeds) is ideal to be used and ONLY used in training. She otherwise gets no sunflower seeds, I do not add them to her breakfast, lunch or dinner so it's a super special yummy for her. Sadly she won't touch almonds. I keep one in her food dish at all times and she won't touch it. It's been weeks! She's taken it from my hand many times and instantly drops them.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I have no advice since I haven't started any kind of training with Tibs, we have a free flight thread somewhere on here, right now he's just excited to fly to me so I open his door and back away. But - I will say that's awesome that you've got Pi flying! Can you cut up the Nutriberry? Give it to her in smaller pieces maybe? I know the avicakes could be pulled apart into tiny bits, not sure about the Nutriberries since Sam won't eat them.
I understand the almond thing - every other bird on here seems to love Red Palm Oil but, not my macaw. It's tough when they make their mind up like that.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I pinch the Nutriberries into little chunks. BTW, excellent thread for me, as well. I’ve been target training and both of my little conures love playing along. Recall training could be so vital in times of emergency, as well as other times. Thanks to all who offered input. Does Pi like pecans?

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I pinch the Nutriberries into little chunks. BTW, excellent thread for me, as well. I’ve been target training and both of my little conures love playing along. Recall training could be so vital in times of emergency, as well as other times. Thanks to all who offered input. Does Pi like pecans?

Havent tried many other nuts. Was gonna try pine nuts.

carwife

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary Ann Donaghy
I have a bird who isn't treat motivated. I've tried everything except sunflower seeds. Apparently I've got treat snob on my hands. Anyone have any ideas?

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I have a bird who isn't treat motivated. I've tried everything except sunflower seeds. Apparently I've got treat snob on my hands. Anyone have any ideas?
Clicker training?

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Are they motivated by attention? Tibs can be attention motivated, or you can get see if he's interested in eating something that you are eating. Tibs is more interested in anything that I'm eating.
So you tried pine nuts and avicakes? Sometimes it's just about finding that one thing.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Tibs is more interested in anything that I'm eating.
:lol:As is my Max! If it’s going in my mouth, it MUST be good enough that WE should share. My Gus, on the other hand, is suspicious of anything offered to him that isn’t seed. He gives me the “eye”, as if to say....that’s not seed, it MUST be poisonous...:rolleyes::joyful: