• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Really young conure with cataracts

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Ah thanks for getting those pics, yeah that is totally different.

Nah I don't have an UV lamp on him. Just having a read of that link now, I think I'm really going to have to get some sort of idea of what it possibly could be, as even when I spoke to them on the phone earlier they've not offered at all to do any tests etc
I very recently adopted a blind Quaker that has cataracts in both eyes, however, she's 20 years old and your gccs eye doesn't look anything like Polly's eyes do. Polly's are completely gray while your gcc appears to have a dot where the pupil would be. Does your gcc react to your hand on either side of her face when you approach her?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
About 10 years ago our Basset hound had something similar with one eye and the regular vet said it was ulcerated/had an ulcer in it. Hunny was eventually put to sleep due to various medical reasons which didn't involve her eye but she was 13-14 years old.

Agreed. I would seek out a second veterinary opinion. My non-vet opinion is that there is damage to the outside of the eye that has ulcerated or is inflamed. These are typically treatable with eye drops or ointments, but require quick intervention because eyes and eyesight can deteriorate rapidly.

Crunchypretzel

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jessica
Aww thanks a lot everyone I really appreciate all the input I've received. I know a really good avian breeder/pet store im going to contact them first thing tomorrow and try and find out what vet they've been using and take him there. As I think the last one was lacking to say the least.

Yeah he still reacts to hand movements either side of his face but he's had a lot of personality changes recently. The first couple of months we've been together I could sit and literally let him groom my eye lashes. Recently however, he's become so aggresive I'm scared to even let him on my shoulder as he'll latch onto my face. I've put that down to his loss of sight and things must be really scary for him

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
If he still has some sight then it's definitely worth checking out. It would be even if he didn't because you don't know what is causing the condition but time is of the essence. The sooner the better if you hope to save your fid's vision.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Jackson had this happen to both eyes, each one at a different time. He couldn’t see temporarily f rom that eye. Vet looked at it with a scope and said it could be cataracts but she wasn’t sure. During each eye episode he was in ill health so I think he was put on baytril. Each eye cleared up in time and he can see.

Crunchypretzel

Real Name
Jessica
Ah thanks I would love to be able to save his sight. I rang a local GCC breeder today to ask if she knew a good avian vet. Unfortunately the only one she knew was the one I'd used previously, she said herself though she wouldn't recommend them as her dad had lost 2 African greys there.

So just trying to find a good avian vet again

Crunchypretzel

Real Name
Jessica
I contacted the people who i bought him off and she sent the pictures I gave her to a few people who have been breeding for tens of years. They all think it could be a vitamin deficiency, I used to feed him on a cockatiel and amazon mix seed based diet. But a couple of weeks ago I've moved him onto roudybush California pellet formula. I've monitored his weight and he's doing well on it, hasn't lost anything. Is there anything else I can be doing, he's a nightmare to try and get to eat vegetables but I'll keep trying haha

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
If you can give us an idea of where you're located - city/state - one of the AA members might know of or be able to recommend an avian vet. I know they aren't easy to come by.

Crunchypretzel

Real Name
Jessica
Yeah no worries, I actually live in Newcastle upon Tyne in northern England lol. The vet I went too originally is Robson and Prescott but I don't really want to go back there

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Yeah no worries, I actually live in Newcastle upon Tyne in northern England lol. The vet I went too originally is Robson and Prescott but I don't really want to go back there
I had a school friend named Sharon Brown who was from your area.

Crunchypretzel

Real Name
Jessica
how old is she? I know a sam Brown actually lol.

Ah thanks but it's 3 hours away. But I'll bare it in mind.

I've been in contact with a parrot hobbyist today. The guy has over 120 parrots, some worth over 10 thousand. He travels all over the world collecting injured and rare ones. He never sells them to anyone, quite an amazing person really.
We've been through every possibility of what it could be and he thinks himself it's a type of cataract and that hes losing his vision. He's never even seen it himself in a bird so young but I guess it's just ones of those things.

Still going to do everything I can and who knows I'm going to start saving money and I might just find someone willing to try and remove them one day on a bird so small.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
how old is she? I know a sam Brown actually lol.

Ah thanks but it's 3 hours away. But I'll bare it in mind.

I've been in contact with a parrot hobbyist today. The guy has over 120 parrots, some worth over 10 thousand. He travels all over the world collecting injured and rare ones. He never sells them to anyone, quite an amazing person really.
We've been through every possibility of what it could be and he thinks himself it's a type of cataract and that hes losing his vision. He's never even seen it himself in a bird so young but I guess it's just ones of those things.

Still going to do everything I can and who knows I'm going to start saving money and I might just find someone willing to try and remove them one day on a bird so small.
It'll be easy to find out - ask if anyone in their family lived in S. America in the mid-70's. We gave Sharon's family our English cocker spaniel, David, because we couldn't take him with us. I'm 63 so you're looking for someone around that age (give or take). But a younger brother would be different. And Brown is a fairly common last name as was mine, White.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Here is a thought...is there a veterinary college closer to you than some of the vets you've found?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
It’s worth trying antibiotics...can’t hurt. See if they’ll prescribe you some. I use baytril under supervision by my vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would still get a second opinion from a vet rather than just the opinion of the hobbyist even if he has lots of experience.

Crunchypretzel

Real Name
Jessica
I've had a look but I can't find a vetinary college anywhere near.

Yeah I will get a second opinion from a vet because it's worth a try. I'm going to have another look tomorrow.

Yeah I think i would like to try him on some anti biotic or celebrix as it's worth a try

Thanks a lot everyone

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I hope you are able to get a second opinion and some better help somewhere else.

It isn't a great picture but I do have a one that showed Peanut's cataract saved too. Just a white disk that gradually became more opaque rather than starting as a point and halo. They are difficult to get a good picture of, at least in teeny black-eyed birds they don't always show up unless the light sorta reflects off them.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Looks like an ulcer and he could be very aggressive because he is in pain. My grey when young had one eye with damage from nestbox. Momma bird must have stepped on and tore the eye. She was treated with a non steroid, antibiotic eye ointment that cleared the ulcer portion but not the other issues. Strange though that it is in both eyes. Maybe you can ask vet to at least try eye meds, worth a try. If cataracts I would try red palm oil in his diet, has helped older birds to regain some eyesight.