• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Really Worried...New Baby Green Cheek Panting (video included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I looked at the new videos and I can only emphasize that that bird is ill. His eyes are not all that bright and focused and he is blinking often.

@WendyN @Monica

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you decide to take the other bird make sure you check him out thoroughly and bring him to vet ASAP even if he appears healthy. Does the store offer a health guarantee? If I walked into any pet store and saw a bird panting like that little one or keeping the beak in an opened position almost constantly even without noticeable panting I would do the same as you and question the health status and also advise the salespeople/owner to get him/her to the vet. I would be hesitant about purchasing. It's important to have the baby checked not just for her/his sake but also for the other birds in the store especially the ones he/she is housed with.
Wishing you the best with whatever decision you make.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
How does the bird act while with the others? How does it act before being handled by humans? How about after?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In looking at your videos I think there could be a congenital problem, possibly cardiac because he is panting at rest. I agree with @Hankmacaw about taking the other bird.

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to reply and help me. Your advice was really useful and I did what you guys advised. I visited again today (earlier this week the manager called me and told me I could choose another baby if I'd like). The manager told me they tested him, made him fly, etc. and that it was true what I said, that he did get winded a lot easier than the others. She said that they will be taking him to the vet and she advised me that I should choose another bird and that they will put him on hold until they find out what's up with him. Poor thing :'(. I chose a yellow-sided baby. This whole thing left me really upset (I visited the little turquoise baby for many weeks) but at least he will be getting care whereas he might not have if I hadn't noticed it. I would love to nurse a sick baby back to health but I don't have the resources or knowledge to do that. I'm glad I trusted my gut and that you guys all backed up what I felt. I hope the turquoise boy isn't sick, and that it's something minor...Hopefully he finds a loving, wonderful forever home <3.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Great news, proud of you for sticking to your guns, she finally listened to you!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that things did not work out with the baby but it's good that he is going to be taken care of. It's good that you stayed strong and pushed them to getting help for him. Let us know if you find out what the vet has to say about him.
Congrats on the yellow sided. When will he be going home with you?

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
So sorry that things did not work out with the baby but it's good that he is going to be taken care of. It's good that you stayed strong and pushed them to getting help for him. Let us know if you find out what the vet has to say about him.
Congrats on the yellow sided. When will he be going home with you?
Thank you!! Tomorrow :) He's already weaned. I had already bought a cage and toys weeks ago, and finally set them all up today. I'll post a pic when I have him tomorrow!!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:fairy2:

Sorry about the turk! I love the blue colors & you have been bonding with him/her but could have some defect in lungs or heart or whatever so its best to avoid that heartache.

Does it look like he has barring on the edge of the feathers? Could indicate stress/ food problems or illness???

:sadhug2:

Last edited:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
This is a little weird because I know we interacted last weekend at the same store where I put a deposit down on my pineapple GCC (Waffle). I am glad they took you seriously but so sad for what you experienced & hoping things work out with the new sweetie! It does really give me pause about how they are raising the birds, though. ☹ I will keep a close eye on my baby. I just want him to come home!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you!! Tomorrow :) He's already weaned. I had already bought a cage and toys weeks ago, and finally set them all up today. I'll post a pic when I have him tomorrow!!
Did you get the baby?

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
This is a little weird because I know we interacted last weekend at the same store where I put a deposit down on my pineapple GCC (Waffle). I am glad they took you seriously but so sad for what you experienced & hoping things work out with the new sweetie! It does really give me pause about how they are raising the birds, though. ☹ I will keep a close eye on my baby. I just want him to come home!
Omg, hi!! Small world! I don't think there is anything to worry about with your little guy to be honest. I think it was just the little turquoise baby who was acting that way. None of the other birds were doing it, and they do seem to really care about the birds' well-being :). They told me they are going to get it looked into and make sure he's okay..They really did seem concerned after I brought it up again and again.

Last edited:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
You got the little shoe toy!!! :D I've seen that online. So cute! S/he looks like a happy dude!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gorgeous! Beautiful coloration. Does he have a name yet?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Congratulations on your new baby.

Status