• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Re-taming African Gray

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
Hello everyone.
I'm new to Avian Avenue, and birds as well. My roommate has an African gray he has had for several years. After his wife passed away, he barely took care of his birds. Since I moved in, and have an over active interest in the birds, he has become more and more involved with the birds again. His African gray talks up a storm. She dances and takes treats from our hands, but any time we try to get her to step up, she reaches over and bites our arm, hand, etc.
I feel she became almost cage bound over the time my roommate was grieving. She has started coming out of the cage, and will sit for hours on her cage door, but won't go to the top of the cage.
Being new to birds, especially a large bird like this, Im afraid of the bites. How do I know when she' ready to step up? I watch her body language, she's gotten scared and flown before. I used her food bowl to help her back in the cage, and she stepped on to my hand (scared me to death).....but she did fine.
I guess I just need advice to know how to approach her training. She's afraid of gloves and perches and won't step up on them.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
First off, greys are extremely sensitive birds, and will undoubtedly pick up on your anxiety while interacting with him, making him more likely to bite.
Greys need a TON of tenderly loving patience. I would first off begin by offering him little treats and softly talking to him while he's perched on his door. Watch his pupils. Large size ones means he's relaxed. Constricted ones means he's on high alert or stressed.
Once you've gotten passed the treats and soft talking and notice that his pupils are primarily dilated, you can offer your forearm while coaxing him with a treat. If his eyes constrict, that's enough for that session. I'd advise wearing a thick jacket to make you feel less fearful should he decide to bite.
Once he's perched on your arm, keep on feeding him treats while speaking to him. Make your session short at first, and increase the time spent on your arm as he becomes more comfortable with you.
In between training sessions, make certain you frequently pass by to speak with him. It's going to take a lot of time and patience, but it can, and will work!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Congrats to you for making an effort!

Greys are sensitive. Mine is a little spook-prone, too. Unexpected loud sounds (dropping a dish, etc.) tend to spook her even if they are sounds she's familiar with. Go slow and steady, yet, at the same time, don't over worry.

My grey has bitten me, but it was always a quick bite-and-release, not that kind of aggressive bite-and-lock or bite-and-grind/twist I've experienced from much smaller birds! So, I wouldn't let the big beak scare you too much.

I'd suggest setting up a routine where you let the bird out at the same time each day. Give her a treat when she sits on her door. Make it a simple, enjoyable, no-pressure experience. Let her do this for several days. Then I would suggest giving her that treat further from her sitting spot so she has to walk a few steps to the edge of her door. Do that for a few days and then move the treat down a few steps more. Get her used to that, and then move it further down more and more until she's comfortable moving down the length of the door to get the treat.

Then start offering your hand for her to step on at the end of the door and see if she takes a step up. And move the treat with your other hand further and further until she has to step up on your hand. I'd leave the hand there the first time or two or three she steps up in case she wants to dart back onto the door. You want your hand to be a stable and reliable place. After she's readily stepped onto your hand a few times and seems comfortable and is sitting there instead of darting back, go ahead and move it away a little from the door and give her a treat right away.

This is how I dealt with an older Meyer's. My adopted CAG came ready to step up.

Good luck!

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
Thank you so much for the great advice!! Ill give it all a try and post any progress. She loves peanuts, so I'll try using them as treats. Im pretty sure it's mostly fear that makes her nip. I've oticed she "puffs up" when I approach her too close, and I know that means anxiety, but I talk to her every day and spend time with her because she's so amazing. If she never steps up, I'll still think she's the smartest bird I've ever met

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
I adopted a Grey two years ago (she's now 14 years old), and she fits the description the other posters have mentioned. Scooter is apprehensive about anything new, different or unexpected. Gradually, she's become more comfortable in her new home, but is still reluctant to venture beyond the security of her cage. She enjoys coming out, and climbing all over the outside of the cage-- but it was several months before she felt brave enough to do that much. She still prefers stepping up onto a spare perch rather than climbing on me. I'm letting her set the pace for most everything, and slowly, she's becoming more willing to accept new things and less frightened of unusual sounds and movement. Watching Ralph the Quaker parrot and seeing how I interact with him have helped her feel safer too. Time and patience are our best friends when working with nervous Grey parrots.