• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RB2 Help Pls

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
I already posted a similar thread in the cockatoo causeway. But I need help and advice please.

He already eats millet out of my hand, but if I lay it in my palm, he will not hesitate to bite. He is not fearful of me, but can be aggressive. He's currently in an outdoor aviary, but will come right up to the bars to greet you. Is friendly, but bites if you get too close.

Also, I thought to bring him inside for taming, as I could let him out, but just read on AA that a budgie's training went backwards when the budgie was moved. Should I bring him inside anyway?

Please help, he is a rescue bird, and I took him from the first hand situation, and he may have been abused- he is terrified of sticks, but is getting better.

Thanks in advance :)

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Best of luck getting some advice!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Yes bring him in and expect the need to re-earn his trust. How can you "tame" him if he is in an aviary?

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Thanks, I will try to bring him inside- now, how do I convince dad? :eek:
Pros & Cons pls ;)

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Ok, I know I said it jokingly, but I actually do need to convince dad to let me bring him in- pls help

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ok, I know I said it jokingly, but I actually do need to convince dad to let me bring him in- pls help
So you don't actually have control of this bird. Ugh. :(

Start taking control. Stand up to your father.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Ok, thanks :)
To be fair, he is my bird, but dad doesn't want him inside cos he doesn't want to stress him :/

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
To be fair, I am his primary caregiver- I give him food, water, treats, love, train him- everything. But dad doesn't want to 'stress him' (he means it tho, and loves animals) by bringing him inside.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you work on target training?

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Yes, that's actually what I'm busy doing- it's really helping. He will now take things from between fingers without biting, and, as for targeting, will follow it wherever it goes :)

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Have you thought about talking your dad into bringing him inside at night?

Routine helped me tame a rescue mini macaw that I had for a few months before my sister took him home.

We used the sleep cage method.

If you can get him used to this idea... It makes interaction on a daily basis something he comes to expect.

You can use this time to a climate him and train him as well.

We used a dog crate as the 'sleep cage' with a perch stand on top for daily training time c:.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Have you thought about talking your dad into bringing him inside at night?

Routine helped me tame a rescue mini macaw that I had for a few months before my sister took him home.

We used the sleep cage method.

If you can get him used to this idea... It makes interaction on a daily basis something he comes to expect.

You can use this time to a climate him and train him as well.

We used a dog crate as the 'sleep cage' with a perch stand on top for daily training time c:.
Thanks- I will try this! :)

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Sleep cages are awesome.

I'd get somethi g large enough that you don't mind keeping him in it for a couple of days, that way if you want to keep him inside you can.

Two perches food and water dishes and a couple small toys.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
We actually have a large enough cage to suit for this, as it's the one we took him home in! I'll clean it out this weekend maybe, and fix it up :)

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
I posted a private conversation to you and the message would be the same for this issue. Great resources available out there that have saved me a great deal of frustration and my relationship with many of my rescued FID's.