1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RB parrots .... Australia pricing Why so high?

Discussion in 'Poicephalus Place' started by iamwhoiam, 1/6/19.

1. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Avenue Spotlight Award

You may find some of the birds on this list may only be for that particular state. Each state has a few different laws and requirements. I live in Victoria and do not need a licence for Burt here, but if I were to move back to WA I would need a licence to keep him. I think WA may have the most restrictions but I am not positive on this. We can keep most native birds without a licence but some you must have a licence for no matter what.

iamwhoiam and Eloy like this.
  2. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

From wha I've read about taking your bird to Australia they only allow native species such as tiels & toos.

The pair of Hawkheads stolen were never recovered & a reward of about $50K was offered.

They also do a DNA analysis & warned any Hawkheads sold would be subject to testing to see if they came from the stolen pair...That would be legal sales but I'm sure on the black market if you had the cash & did not care the babies were "hot" then there was not much to be done. They are not easy to breed & don;t have alot of eggs.

Sad for me as my Penny is a Hawkhead & if I went to live there I would not be allowed to take her..

AUS is a PITA but I understand as look at the rabbit/mouse etc problem with non native species.

Could not have a bunch of $25K Hawkheads flying about! :tmsmakesme:

iamwhoiam likes this.
  3. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

4. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Avenue Spotlight Award

I know of a few people with licences for some of their birds(Major Mitchell and Emu) and from what I know(which honestly is not an awful lot) they have had no problems but there are different requirements for each species that must be licensed. Some can not be kept without a bonded friend of the same species. For Emu you must have had a level 3 licence for a minimum of 2 years and you need to have over 1 hectare (min) for the emu to live on. The Major Mitchell you need an advanced bird keepers licence and possibly a certain size area for the bird to fly. I think these licenses are mainly for the purpose of making owning them a little harder so those who are not really keen on bird care and extra fees/responsibility wont bother with them and also because I believe if you have a licence then the authorities can come and check on the birds at any time they like.
    I can not remember all of the ins and outs as it was quite some time back I discovered all the information......I asked a breeder from a bird club ages ago about licencing as I was interested in Major Mitchells but after hearing of all their possible quirks I decided to leave that wish for a little while longer. I am not sure I have all the information completely correct but I am pretty sure it is fairly accurate.

iamwhoiam and Eloy like this.
  5. ChirpyMacaw

ChirpyMacaw Meeting neighbors

Joel
    basically every state has different rules on animals, with wa and tas being the most strict. the licensing in vic is pretty stupid anyways, if you pay a small fee of 300 a year (advanced wildlife license) you can own crocodiles whithout prior experience, and this also applies to harder birds on the license, too.

iamwhoiam and Shezbug like this.
  6. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

That's really bizarre. It sounds as if they just want the $$$ rather than being concerned about the care of the bird or other animal and the knowledge and experience of the caretaker.

ChirpyMacaw and Shezbug like this.
  7. ChirpyMacaw

ChirpyMacaw Meeting neighbors

Joel
    hit the nail on the head.

iamwhoiam likes this.
  8. iamwhoiam

:( :headsmack:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)