• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RAW Sweet potato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
yams and sweet potatoes are two completely different things, they are not even related as far as plant species go, but the same rules apply. Or at least I apply the same rules.
Apparently there are yams, "yams," and sweet potatoes. Just for fun!

Yams are a completely different species and part of the plant from sweet potatoes. They also need to be cooked, but you'll never find one in the US. According to the library of congress website (US), what Americans call "yams" at the grocery store are actually just a different variety of sweet potato.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen

mine won't eat it unless it has been cooked, mashed and sprinkled with a touch of cinnamon
:rofl::rofl:
Now I ask you, where in nature are birds going to find cooked, mashed, seasoned sweet potatos????? Here's to parrots with picky palates...gotta love 'em :lol:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Apparently there are yams, "yams," and sweet potatoes. Just for fun!

Yams are a completely different species and part of the plant from sweet potatoes. They also need to be cooked, but you'll never find one in the US. According to the library of congress website (US), what Americans call "yams" at the grocery store are actually just a different variety of sweet potato.

The things we learn on this forum!!!! :)

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
Yup! In fact Yams are WHITE inside contain NO vitamin A at all.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I guess Grandma knew what she was talking about..lol:p

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
:rofl::rofl:
Now I ask you, where in nature are birds going to find cooked, mashed, seasoned sweet potatos????? Here's to parrots with picky palates...gotta love 'em :lol:
I understand your point completely and agree - I never did learn what country the pellet tree is in, even though I do give mine a few pellets with their other stuff

but to answer you question (in jest) :

here at the Coast Cafe - every last being that lives here is ROTTEN! :heart::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I've been told not to feed it raw, too, glad to know why! Cookie wouldn't TOUCH it cooked at first, but now i have her eating it very lightly cooked. It has to be still pretty hard for her - she doesn't do soft.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
I do par cooked which is fine, and it allows for more nutrients.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Thanks for this information, I didn't know that about raw sweet potatoes, never researched it.
same here ..dont feed raw much but i have before and the birds loved it...humm ill make sure i dont do it any more..Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.