• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raw Food Diets for Cats?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Looking for suggestions. I may know a lot about birds, but when it comes to cats and dogs, well, not so much... despite having been raised with dogs and cats my entire life but only having birds for a little over half of my life.

Not to say that I'm stupid... I mean, I feel like I know more than the average pet owner. I've learned that the diets that my family has always fed their animals (dogs and cats) is, well, crappy. I've done my best to provide *better* diets to them, but I know that their diets could still be lacking.

My mother has a 14 year old male cat. He was neutered at a young age, and he also developed the urinary crystals... $1,000 vet trip later (that we couldn't afford at the time...), he was put on a special diet, which, at the time, cost around $55-$60 for a 17lb bag... he wasn't kept on this diet because, well, Target sells a similar diet that's much cheaper! Six months later, and another $600 vet trip..... he's back on the prescription diet that's now about $70! It's the Royal Canine Urinary S/O diet.

He's always puked up food, although it was usually infrequently. Maybe a max of 2-3 times a week? Never was an issue though, he always maintained weight, acted normal, etc. Never could figure out the reason behind it, either... Was an indoor/outdoor kitten, but after getting sick once, he's remained an indoor cat ever since.

When he was younger, he easily weighed 11-13 lbs, but wasn't a fat cat. He had his belly flub but that was it.

Earlier this year, I had to put his sister down due to cancer. (second pet this year that I've lost to cancer, worse, in the same month, as well) I don't feel like this is part of the issue with his health, but who knows... Squirt (male cat) does not like other cats. His sister, Sprite, was the only cat he ever accepted, and because he grew up with her. Towards the end of her life, Sprite was moved to a separate home where someone could keep a closer eye on her. (only found out she had cancer on the day that I had to put her down, despite previous vet visits and being under the care and guidance of my vet for her failing health - no doubt now due to the cancer) The last two times that Squirt saw his sister, he hissed and growled at her. You could tell that he *knew* she was familiar, but her smell, or something about her, wasn't right. He didn't treat her like a new cat, but also didn't treat her like he normally did.

Squirt has been a cat to eat almost anything, including dog food, cabbage, brussel sprouts, corn, peas, green beans, etc.

This year, he's had noticeable weight loss, and it just seems to be getting worse... The last time I weighed him, which was a couple of days ago, he was down to 6.2 lbs. He's lethargic, not eating as much, puking more frequently, less annoying and demanding...

He's also started pooping and peeing outside of the litter box, which may be related to hip issues, or something else. Recently set up a new litter box, which might be helping... except for the fact that his butt hangs over the side... so even if he's *IN* the freakin litter box, he still poops outside of it... (always been an issue with him if using the short cat litter boxes...)

Most of his pops are normal and firm, but he does get the occasional diarrhea.

Just over a month ago, he was taken in for blood work, x-rays and some other tests. (whatever the vet recommended!) Nothing came back conclusive. He was also at the vets earlier this year (with his sister, before her passing) Back then, he was put on antibiotics and probiotics. He's still getting probiotics.

So, in short...

Neutered male cat
14 years old
Been on Royal Canine Urinary S/O dry diet over half of his life
Losing weight
Puking much more frequently
Not eating as much food
Cares less about eating a varied diet
Bathroom issues
Is being seen by my vet

Last night, he was put on Prednisone in case he also has cancer (not that any was found over a month ago) and to hopefully increase his appetite.

Considering the way his health is going, I realize he may not see the end of the year... and it's been a pretty crappy year. (well, years... :depressed:)

My vet has basically said to feed him whatever he wants, despite his urinary issues, so he's been getting fed canned food more frequently, and he was recently introduced the FreshPet Cat Food that comes out of the fridge in the store. He loved it at first, but now there's hardly any interest in it.

He is no longer eating his dry food, despite having the same access to it as always.

My mother is now wanting to try him on a raw food diet. I've made this post long to hopefully get some ideas, suggestions, thoughts and ideas.

Between my mother and I, we've found "two" options for raw food diets. One, pre-made raw food diets for cats. Two, raw food diet supplements - just add meat!

So with all that in mind, looking for suggestions. (will also speak to my vet about this diet change - since it's my mother's cat, it's happening regardless of what the vet says - although it does fall under the category of "feed him whatever he'll eat"...)

1.) Recommendations on a 'complete' raw cat food diet brand
Natural Selections™ Raw Cat Food - Darwin's Pet Food (one brand I've seen recommended)

1a.) Anyone who has a single cat being fed pre-made cat food, what brand do you use and how much does it cost a month to feed? (just to get a general idea of cost)

2.) Thoughts on the following products that you add to meat
Amazon.com : Better in the Raw for Cats - Make your own homemade raw cat food! : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : TCfeline Raw Cat Food - A Premix (Supplement) to make a Homemade raw cat food diet. All Natural, Grain Free, Human Grade and Species Appropriate Raw for Cats. (with Chicken Liver - Trial 4.2 oz) : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com: Life Extension Cat Mix 100 Grams Powder: Health & Personal Care

I've noticed that one of the supplements contains whole bone extract. While looking at the raw food diets, I saw that at least some of the recommendations was to include ground bone. Some of the pre-made diets include bone in their ingredients list. Would it be necessary or not to source someone who sells ground bone and meat if feeding a supplement that doesn't contain bone? Or would it be fine to add any of them to just ground up meat?

Following along that line of thought, is "any" ground meat fine, or again, should we source someone who can sell ground meat with organs? Then add the supplements?

(picture of Squirt from his younger years...)

SquirtProfile.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jasmine is 16 and was puking near daily, lost a ton of weight, and was licking all the fur from her stomach and legs. Bloodwork etc perfectly fine. Diagnosis: food allergy.

In cats, the main allergens are chicken, beef, fish, grains, and things like carageenan and guar gums. The raw food may help that problem too. My cats won't eat raw, so we just use a high quality canned food. The canned food would also help with the urine crystals as dry food doesn't provide enough water, and they are designed to get most of their moisture content from their prey. A water fountain also helps encourage them to drink.

There are some excellent resources on raw diets here: https://thecatsite.com/threads/raw-feeding-resources.264154/

The advantage to something like Darwin is that it already predone, super easy, etc. They also have a trial offer for cheap. ($30 for 10 lbs of food).

The disadvantage is that they are usually more costly, and they also seem to be higher in bone content.

Other options to Darwins and Freshpet are Stella and Chewy's frozen food, and Primal frozen food. You could also do freeze dried food that you mix with warm water. Advantage is that freeze dried is cheaper than frozen, it is generally easier to convert a cat too, and it still doesn't have all the additives to the food that most dry food and some canned foods do.

Homemade can be easy provided you have a good source for meat (I recommend Hare Today and buy as much as you can fit in your freezer at once to save on shipping) and follow a GOOD recipe and/or use a good supplement. Alnutrin is highly recommended on The Cat Site. Most of the supplements have a recommended recipe on them, and will specify so much in muscle meat, organ meat etc. There are ones that you mix with JUST meat, some with meat AND organs, some with raw meat, some with cooked meat, etc. And make sure you know which count as organ and which count as muscle!

When I tried raw, I opted for the eggshell calcium Alnutrin vs the ones with ground bone or need to have bone added because bone is harder to digest with our older kitties and can cause constipation.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Haven't had any issues with fur loss, but wouldn't be surprised if something in the canned food could be bothering him... I mean, he typically gets Friskies because it's cheap.

I'm aware that feeding canned is better than dry for cats, but this being my mother's cat, she wasn't willing to spend even more money on canned foods. (back then) Now that his health is going down the drain, that's changing, of course. (cost can still be an issue, though)

She's going with one of the supplements and adding it to ground chicken, but I don't know that it will be enough. I don't see bone as one of the ingredients, but it does contain calcium in another form... since it doesn't mention adding it to raw food, I feel like it might be lacking in what's necessary. It says to add to the cats food, not to add it to raw food... and right now, we don't have a local source for ground meat and bones. Attempting to look into it now, though... otherwise, will see about ordering over the internet.

I don't think it should be an issue to get him eating a raw food diet... he's stolen raw chicken off the counter before, that was in a ziplock bag and chewed through the bag to get to the chicken.... even pulled loaves of bread off the counter, chewed through the bag and ate a few bites of bread. His current lack of appetite though is a concern. Still eating, just not eating enough.

Thank you though for all the information. I will pass it along!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah, if it doesn't mention adding it to raw food, it's not complete. :( Do you know if it contains liver? Taurine? Cats are also susceptible to Vitamin A overdose so that is a consideration too when mixing supplements and meats.

I do understand cost being an issue; I have two cats so it is for me! I can't spend more than $60/month and really $30-$40 a month is more my comfortable limit.

I fed dry kibble only for about 13 years. Then we started doing just one can a day split between the two cats for a meal, the rest dry. This helped Jasmine's constant throwing up a lot. We now do all wet for Jasmine, avoid chicken, grain, turkey, and fish, and no throwing up.

Most canned foods seem to overestimate how many calories a cat really needs - for my two 10 lb cats, who are older and spayed, I have calculated they need 180-200 calories a day. For brands like Natural Balance Limited Ingredient, you can get a case of 24 for about $20 on chewy.com, and they are about 180 calories per 5.5 oz can. So even with two cats, it only costs me $50 a month ($0.83 per can, 2 cans a day, over 30 days) to feed 100% canned diet. So you could easily get away with $25 a month for a good quality, canned cat food, and they have lots of flavors to keep it interesting for him.

A raw diet they say the cat should eat about 2-3% of their healthy body weight a day. So for a 10 lb cat, that's 3 to 5 oz a day of raw food divided between 2-3 meals a day.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also for a litter box, Jasmine has arthritis and issues with peeing over the side too. We use a Sterlite 18 gallon tote and cut a hole from the side like this:

No more messes on the floor because she can't put her butt out, and I cut the door low enough so that she can get in and out easily.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
My Border Collie girl is a crystal maker and we had her on that ridiculously expensive crystal diet for years. It recently jumped to over $80 a BAG and my mom started searching for an alternative. She was told by another vet while getting Aarkie's teeth cleaned that if they eat anything other than that diet, that it screws the whole thing up. So we've been pouring money down the drain for years! Mom's always given the animals the occasional table scrap... or dad's "accidentally" dropped a bit of something while grilling. I was so proud of mom though. She searched on her own and found that list of dog foods that grades all the brands out there and found a happy medium that was better for Aarkie and easier on the wallet.

I'm hoping your mom can find that balance of good for kitty and easier on the wallet too.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yeah, if it doesn't mention adding it to raw food, it's not complete. :( Do you know if it contains liver? Taurine? Cats are also susceptible to Vitamin A overdose so that is a consideration too when mixing supplements and meats.
Taurine, yes. I mentioned that I wasn't sure the one she chose was "good", since it didn't contain bone. She chose it based on the Taurine.

Amazon.com: Life Extension Cat Mix 100 Grams Powder: Health & Personal Care

I fed dry kibble only for about 13 years. Then we started doing just one can a day split between the two cats for a meal, the rest dry. This helped Jasmine's constant throwing up a lot. We now do all wet for Jasmine, avoid chicken, grain, turkey, and fish, and no throwing up.
It seems that adding more canned food to his diet has potentially resulted in more throwing up... might just be the wrong food though...

Also for a litter box, Jasmine has arthritis and issues with peeing over the side too. We use a Sterlite 18 gallon tote and cut a hole from the side like this:
He has something like this, but no "door" cut out. Well, has that and a "regular" cat box, and it seems like he's choosing to use the regular one more often? He does have hip issues. Still jumps up on things, but quite possible that some things he doesn't feel like jumping up on.

My Border Collie girl is a crystal maker and we had her on that ridiculously expensive crystal diet for years. It recently jumped to over $80 a BAG and my mom started searching for an alternative. She was told by another vet while getting Aarkie's teeth cleaned that if they eat anything other than that diet, that it screws the whole thing up. So we've been pouring money down the drain for years! Mom's always given the animals the occasional table scrap... or dad's "accidentally" dropped a bit of something while grilling. I was so proud of mom though. She searched on her own and found that list of dog foods that grades all the brands out there and found a happy medium that was better for Aarkie and easier on the wallet.
I think Squirt has been on the Urinary S/O diet for 8 years?

I'm hoping that my mother will either do the raw food diet *RIGHT* or choose to go with a commercial raw diet... which I think would be best. Might be more expensive, but worth it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've used this product with Major since he arrived. I know he's a dog but the food is for dogs and cats. Major's fur has never looked better. His poop is small and well formed which tells me he is getting a lot out of the food with very little waste. When I fed him kibble in the beginning his poops were like soft wet hot dogs. Lot's of filler.

This is the best raw "I" can find.

Carnivora Cats - Cats are Strict Carnivores

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm not sure if there is a supplier for Carnivora in the USA. They may still be able to deliver to the USA though, but might not be the best of options.

Passed it along regardless. Thank you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Looking around at various companies and prices. Haven't really checked freeze dried prices, I mean, I've looked at them, but didn't jot down notes or anything to compare prices.

(Raw) Primal is cheapest, followed by Darwin's, although I'd rather not buy in bulk. (not that I don't have the space to store it, or anything like that - just, starting out, it's a lot of money!) I did see their trial offer though, which I am considering. At minimum, going full raw diet, I'm looking at a cost of $35-$43 per month, which, even coming from an expensive prescription diet, is still a huge leap in cost!

Darwin's Raw Cat Food - $5.85 per lb

Feline Natural Freeze Dried Cat Food
Feline Natural Frozen Cat Food - $$$
Instinct Raw Freeze Dried Cat Food
Instinct Raw Frozen Cat Food - $$$
Meg's Meats
Primal Freeze Dried Cat Food
Primal Frozen Cat Food - $5.66 per lb
Rad Cat Frozen Food - $7.74 per lb

Stella & Chewy's Freeze Dried Cat Food
Stella & Chewy's Frozen Cat Food - $7.99 - $13.99 per lb

I've picked up some Rad Cat food samples as well as a Primal starter pack. Squirt has, so far, devoured all raw food placed in front of him, and he may even be preferring the raw over everything else - including food that he wouldn't eat at first, then ate above everything else for a bit. Tuna and tuna water has been a big hit with him as well, although he'd rather eat raw over tuna. We're pretty much at the point of trying to get him to eat anything he will, hopefully keeping it down, and putting weight on. At a younger, healthier weight, he was 11-13 lbs. For the past few weeks or so, he's been hanging around 6.2 lbs or so... skin and bones. August 7th, he did weigh in at 7 lbs in the morning, however I don't know how much of this is food and water vs actual body weight... but that's far more that he's weighed in the mornings than before! He's been up to 7 lbs before, but the next morning he'd be back down to 6.2 lbs or so... so he's definitely gotten his appetite back!

Squirt was on the Prednisone for ~3 days, and he just got worse. Last Monday, July 31st, he was basically on deaths door. We figured we would have to probably put him down on August 1st, he was doing so horribly. I stopped the Prednisone and started fluid therapy, now he's on fluids and Metronidazole - along with supplements. (DMG, Probiotics, Enzymes, and if he's getting it, the cat supplements...) He's been on probiotics since March when he had a slight infection, and was never taken off of them. He is getting different probiotics than what the vet prescribed, but still getting a "good" probiotic.

He's extremely weak, but doing much better than a week ago. A week ago, he was listless, lethargic, unresponsive, only moved to find somewhere else to lay, stumbled occasionally, always ate or drank laying down, non-vocal unless in pain. Now, he's up and moving around, responds to people talking to him (even if it's flicking his tail or turning an ear, if not actually moving his head), coming when called, is more vocal (I'm hungry, feed me!). Still rather lethargic, still awkwardly eating... but it's from an awkward sitting position, to awkward laying position, to just laying down. Overall, he's slowly improving and very slowly gaining some strength back.

Since Rad Cat has gotten such good reviews from the limited amount of people I've managed to speak with, I feel like I want to start him on this diet, but price-wise, I'm leaning towards Primal... and if he does well on Primal, and money is less of an issue, then I could always switch to Rad Cat or another brand. We already have some Primal Raw Freeze Dried Chicken & Salmon, although I don't know if he's been fed any of this yet... loves freeze-dried chicken that I got from someone else.

Still something I'm looking into, still considering a DIY diet, or buying "home-made" (someone who sells raw diets locally), instead of the more commercial raw diets, but more heavily leaning towards the commercial raw diets for right now. (and not having the right supplement?)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My cat has also been on Royal Caninn SO for more than half of her life for bladder stones. I tried many times to feed her less costly urinary formulas but no go. You may encounter problems switching to a raw diet as this cat may not eat it. Also a raw diet may not support the needs of a cat with urinary problems.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My cats like the freeze dried Primal, they didn't like the primal pronto (which is now expensive than the chubs of meat) but they don't care for raw in general so I'm not helpful anyways! I really think Primal vs Rad Cat is likely trivial, unless Primal has a lot more bone than Rad Cat. That'd be the only thing I'd check.

Glad he's eating!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My cat has also been on Royal Caninn SO for more than half of her life for bladder stones. I tried many times to feed her less costly urinary formulas but no go. You may encounter problems switching to a raw diet as this cat may not eat it. Also a raw diet may not support the needs of a cat with urinary problems.

He's eaten another one vet prescribed one before, and didn't seem to care for it as much. I don't remember the brand off hand... but I think it was somewhat cheaper. As mentioned, he couldn't be on a much cheaper Urinary S/O diet.

The raw diet may or may not be okay, and that is a concern. With how moist the diet is, it should be far better than a dry diet, at least.

He is already eating *some* raw... (mentioned in my previous post) and seems to prefer it over dry, canned and tuna. Tuna being one of the things we *can* get him to eat with gusto lately, and dry food as well. (not his prescription diet...) Generally speaking, he is not a picky eater... He's eaten...
  1. Dog food
  2. Green beans
  3. Peas
  4. Corn
  5. Brussel Sprouts
  6. Cabbage
  7. Bread
To list a few things... and the veggies have often been without butter. When making bird chop, I've had to keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't go digging around in the veggies, picking things out to eat!

When you have an animal that's at deaths door, you kind of want them to eat whatever it is that they'll eat, whether or not it's actually healthy for them.... which is why we haven't been making him eat his prescription diet, despite having 24/7 access to it. The vet is in agreement with feeding him whatever he'll eat, too, despite knowing he's been eating a prescription diet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just double checked and it's actually the Primal Freeze Dried Rabbit Formula, not Chicken & Salmon... and he hasn't had any of it yet...

Just weighed, and up to 7.4 lbs... again, not sure how much this is food and water vs body weight, but he's been chowing down! Hoping it's a good sign.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mine won't touch the freeze dried dry, they love it rehydrated though (which is how it should be served anyways). Rabbit is their favorite!

A good fish to try would be canned sardines in water. Excellent source of Omega 3s and my cats go crazy for it. They each get 1 fish a week.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Canned sardines... nasty stuff! LOL He'd probably love it though!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Same weight as yesterday, 7.4 lbs. Apparently, likes the freeze dried rabbit, too! (haven't seen him eat it) Glad he's not picky like his sister. (RIP) But that also means he'll eat things he shouldn't be eating. (re: vegetables and bread) :rolleyes: Well, thinking about it, I really don't know how big of an issue vegetables are, because many of the animals that wild cats prey upon eat grass, seeds and other things. If the wild cat consumes the stomach contents, along with their prey, then, well, they are consuming other foods. Just one thing I don't know much about, but I know that cats don't need rice and vegetables in their everyday diet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think it's mainly that the body just isn't well suited for digesting them. In an animal they'd eat, they would be partially digested already. However, most cats avoid eating the intestines and stomach if possible (bigger prey like rabbits, not mice) so they really aren't relying on that for their diet like canines do.