• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ravena's first fresh food in years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaktel

Moving in
Real Name
Kelley
Hi guys, so yesterday was the big day. My mom and I drove 1.5 hours to pick up this darling beauty, a 14-y-o CAG with scissor beak and possibly slightly splayed legs. And what a craving for attention! She hadn't left her cage in probably years (except for the occasional escape), and had primarily been fed pellets for pretty much her whole life. I cleaned her cage thoroughly, rinsing it off in our yard currently covered in snow, and set her up. Within minutes she said a few words, and later that evening she suddenly opened up with what seems like a big vocabulary. This morning I chopped up an apple for her, and she beelined straight for it! I'm in love! She's definitely not used to human handling, so I'm not even thinking about trying that for a while. But she seems to be adjusting and she likes talking to me.

Just a few questions. Does anyone own a CAG or other parrot that has scissor beak, and have you done anything to fix it other than the occasional filing? Anyone with an adult bird with splayed legs? She's got no problem eating, no problem climbing around although she takes it slow and easy. I'm just curious if anyone has insights on how to help birds with these issues. I don't think her perches or toys have been changed in a long time, so I think that's the next step for me right now...

Attachments

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Congrats. I would take her straight to the vets for an evaluation and blood work. I would also buy her some platform perches so that she can have a comfortable place to rest.

Do you already have a vet or can we help you find one?

Ginger

vaktel

Moving in
Real Name
Kelley
I've looked for certified avian vets and the closest one is in Mountlake Terrace near Seattle, WA (I'm in Bellingham, WA). I'm going to call them early next week and see what we can arrange -- but thank you!! If you know of anyone in particular that is recommended in the Seattle area, I'd love to know.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, you need to take her to a vets..but so glad you have her now..slow and steady....fresh fruits and veggies will sure help win her heart...

carlottalyn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Kelley, congratulations on your new Grey. :) I'm so glad you brought her home. Looks like she's loving that apple!!

Have you looked into Village Vets? Even if just for a local option to get acquainted with in case of emergencies? My boys have gone to see Dr. Bangert, she's been fantastic with them and really seems to know her stuff. She has a few parrots herself and sees others often...if you want local, she'd be the best bet most likely. :)

vaktel

Moving in
Real Name
Kelley
Thanks Carlie! I just found out about them yesterday, and I think that's where I'll be taking her. Just waiting for the weather to warm up first...

carlottalyn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Great! :D Isn't this cold crazy?? At least it's sunny today!

Oh and btw, the staff at Village Vets (and Dr Bangert) are soooo sweet...which is a nice added bonus. Best of luck with your new gal. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.