• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ratty feathers and sore in mouth?

pez0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Perrie
I took my new B&G Charlie to an Avian vet today
He commented on her tail feathers, which are quite damaged. Her breeder said it's just from the transport carrier but the vet said she had stress lines in her feathers and the transport carrier probably just broke the feathers at the stress lines
Her beak also is flakey
He mentioned testing her for beak and feather disease and I'm worried, but I won't know the results until 2-3 weeks time.
He also told me he noticed discolouration in her mouth that looked like a sore? Any ideas on what that might be? I didn't see it so I don't know what it looks like, and Charlie doesn't like me holding her beak.
I've only had her for 5 days, and help would be greatly appreciated
I apologise for the long thread.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Its good the vet checks. Hope everything is OK!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Did the vet give you any medication or directions on what to do with the "sore". Did the vet swab the "sore" for a culture. A sore could be caused by many things. A bacterial infection, a viral infection, or a yeast/fungal infection. It could also be caused by trauma such as biting into or onto something with a sharp edges or a burn.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh my, sounds like you did not see an avian veterinarian.

All babies have ratty feathers, my scarlet looked as if he had been run over with a lawn mower, twice! Babies play hard and those tails just get in the way. She has a lifetime to be beautiful, right now she wants to play. :)

It's extremely common for babies to have stress bars. Every body feather was growing in at the same time and any disturbance in food or temperature can make stress bars appear. Like the ratty feathers, they will molt with time and she will be beautiful.

A flakey beak is normal, beaks grow from the inside out so they shed the outer layers with new growth. A flakey beak on a young baby is not extremely common, they are pretty shiny and new at that age, picture's?

I test all my new birds for pbfd so take a breath. It's not very common as it once was, especially in macaws. What other tests did they run? Cbc, fecal or mouth swab? Did he actually say there was a sore or did he say she had blunting of her choanal papillae?

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I agree about the ratty tail feathers and stress bars. When I got Lucy her tail looked awful and she was covered in stress bars.
The stress bars are all gone now and she has pretty shiny feathers.
Her tail however still gets ratty from time to time, but she is only a year and a half old and plays hard.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hope Charlie is ok.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would be most concerned about the sore in the mouth - candidia, Vit A deficiency, fungal/bacterial infection or malnutrition are a few possibilities. Before you worry too much you should talk to your vet and get a better description of it. If your vet is not willing, nor able, to explain the "sore", it's time for a new vet.

Are you weighing your baby every day or very often? That is the best way to catch an illness before it becomes serious.

pez0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Perrie
I would be most concerned about the sore in the mouth - candidia, Vit A deficiency, fungal/bacterial infection or malnutrition are a few possibilities. Before you worry too much you should talk to your vet and get a better description of it. If your vet is not willing, nor able, to explain the "sore", it's time for a new vet.

Are you weighing your baby every day or very often? That is the best way to catch an illness before it becomes serious.
He said he swabbed at it and it didn't come off, that's about it. He also said it was different coloured to the inside of her mouth

pez0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Perrie
I agree about the ratty tail feathers and stress bars. When I got Lucy her tail looked awful and she was covered in stress bars.
The stress bars are all gone now and she has pretty shiny feathers.
Her tail however still gets ratty from time to time, but she is only a year and a half old and plays hard.
Alright thank you

pez0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Perrie

All babies have ratty feathers, my scarlet looked as if he had been run over with a lawn mower, twice! Babies play hard and those tails just get in the way. She has a lifetime to be beautiful, right now she wants to play. :)

It's extremely common for babies to have stress bars. Every body feather was growing in at the same time and any disturbance in food or temperature can make stress bars appear. Like the ratty feathers, they will molt with time and she will be beautiful.

A flakey beak is normal, beaks grow from the inside out so they shed the outer layers with new growth. A flakey beak on a young baby is not extremely common, they are pretty shiny and new at that age, picture's?

I test all my new birds for pbfd so take a breath. It's not very common as it once was, especially in macaws. What other tests did they run? Cbc, fecal or mouth swab? Did he actually say there was a sore or did he say she had blunting of her choanal papillae?
He did a faecal test and took blood to test for beak and feather

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Can you look in her mouth and see?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Call your vet tomorrow and ask. He should be able to explain to you want is going on.

pez0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Perrie

I'll take a better photo if I can at home (she doesn't like phones very much :lol:)

Attachments

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
She is beautiful