• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rat teeth trimming

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So my little girl managed a disappearing act for her top incisors last week. She is already on antibiotics for the infection (caused by bottom teeth rubbing gums) and had her bottom teeth trimmed back by the vet. Problem is she already needs them trimmed a week later and I can't really afford a $60 trim bill every week for the forsee able future. Does anyone in the dallas-fort worth area know of anywhere that will safely and correctly trim teeth cheaper? Or are there toys she can chew that will griND her bottom teeth without damaging her upper gums?

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Odd, that really seems much too early. I provide my rats with branches. Sometimes they chew, sometimes, no. Mine REALLY like bones. Everything I've read says they are safe, but do your own research. My rats will chew down the bones significantly to chew out the marrow.

Maybe you could just call the vet, and get some advice over the phone?

If she will let you, you might be able to manage with a Dremel tool on your own, which is likely what the vet uses. Again, get some better informed advice. I think the vet will understand that you would rather not have weekly visits. They have to deal with personal budgets too.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I've seen people do it at home with claw-type squeeze clippers, but there's a pretty high risk of fracturing or otherwise breaking the tooth. It's better left for a pro or someone experienced at least. Hope you can figure something out

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Yes, the snippers can crack the tooth to the root. I doubt that is what the vet uses. The vet might be open to one more appointment showing how to the trim properly with the best tool for the job. Money aside, most people are too busy to be hauling critters off to exotic vets once a week, and those offices are petri dishes for germs anyway (I don't care how clean they are), so that's not great care either.

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Definitely was not going to attempt the clippers... *shudder* I have seen some of the after pictures from using them. Not sure how they did it last time as they took her in back... I will check with them though tomorrow and see. She has always been finicky about chewing anything (the one toy I could get her to chew was discontinued).

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the info on the bones also. I have read in numerous places that they are safe. I am not sure if they should be cooked or not (I know cooked is a no-no for dogs and cats). There is also a couple other specialty vets in the area so going to call them as well to see if they have a "trim" price as compared to an "office visit" price.