• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Rare"? Or sick? :(

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Hey y'all,
So, I am not planning on getting another bird any time soon, but I will confess, I sometimes day dream about adding a pionus to my flock, and so, I occasionally check places like petfinder and hoobly to see what pionus parrots are available... I don't know why I do this. But that is not what this post is about.

I've seen these kinds of posts before of pionus parrots that are advertised as "super rare," like this one here:
G8Yf2kzxXa.jpg

But..... is there actually such a thing as a "rare mutation" pionus parrot?
Frankly, I am worried about this maxi pionus... He doesn't seem to look too good... But I'm not sure. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Without knowing anything about the lineage/age, I'd say that's a sick bird. Probably liver related.

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I saw a hybrid zon once who had a color pattern like this, and it was pretty but strange. I am not sure of the pose here--are there tail feathers? He looks odd, clinging to the side.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Could be asper, could be a weird mutation, I'd be very concerned too. Nerd had bad white and yellow feathers when I got him, his brothers feathers were perfect and he was bigger and weighed more. I eventually gave Nerd some feather vitamins and he eventually molted out all the bad feathers and they never came back but I never found out what it was. The few times he went to the vet his blood work was good and asper was never mentioned. SOME birds have managed to beat it or live with it ok for years but for most it eventually takes them.
Nerd never had that many discolered feathers all over so that poor bird needs to see a vet to see what's going on. You wouldn't want a bird with something very serious making the rest of your flock sick with something that will eventually take them out too.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And I also think that this is a sick bird but I hope I'm wrong. I know we had a similar thread for some years ago but I can't find it.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would also guess this bird is sick. Probably liver. Poor little creature :heart: :(

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Darn.... That's what I was afraid to hear... According to the ad, he is somewhat close to me too...
I can't help but wonder if the person selling this bird is simply uninformed and truly thinks this is a healthy, rare bird, or if they know that this bird is sick and they are trying to play it off as a rare bird in order to get some extra money out of him. :(

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
According to the ad, he is somewhat close to me too...
I suggest that you go and visit him. :)
I can't see his tail, I think he doesn't have any, if that's so I think they are trying to fool someone.
And if they don't know that he is in bad condition, you can convince them that he must see a vet.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I suggest that you go and visit him. :)
I can't see his tail, I think he doesn't have any, if that's so I think they are trying to fool someone.
And if they don't know that he is in bad condition, you can convince them that he must see a vet.
It's tempting.... But then I think I would end up bringing him home with me. :confused:..........:rolleyes:
Perhaps I could just.... inquire? Ask about the bird's lineage, the original breeder, his diet... his most recent vet visit. :(

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
I once saw a mutation bird that was beautiful and it was healthy. I think I still have the pic. IMG_0550.JPG

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
This bird doesn't look right :( but there is a mutation that looks similar. I have to say that some color breeding I don't like at all, like when they try to make these 'pastel' colors, it is the strong colors that makes the beauty of a parrot for me. Some look washed out, sad.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well that picture gives that guy some hope of actually being healthy and a color mutation some Pionus get.