• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rare Fallow chicks are almost here!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
They are soooooooo cute.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
That is SO ADORABLE!! I'm not sure how you manage to let some of them go to new homes...

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
The chicks have officially fledged and have left the nest box. Here they are with dad, enjoying breakfast this morning. They definitely are NOT going to be picky eaters! Nom Nom Nom.

Look at those hungry babies go! Oh my gosh they are so pretty. :heart:

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I really don't know how you do it! I'd be tempted to keep them all!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I really don't know how you do it! I'd be tempted to keep them all!

I usually breaks my heart to let them go, I miss them so much! BUT on the other hand, I'm happy to see them go to loving new families where I know they will be spoiled rotten and loved to death. AND, I get my sanity back for a little bit. (I don't breed year round)

Raising baby budgies isn't easy, even if it's just 2 of them or 20 of them. Cages still need to be cleaned, nest boxes need to be cleaned twice a day, lots of extra food needs to be prepped, extra supplements need to be on hand, babies need to be monitored for weight gain, and I track EVERYTHING! Date the eggs were laid, if the eggs are fertile or not, dates the eggs were hatched, sex and mutation of each chick, leg band numbers of each chick, "pedigree" of each chick, some going back 5 or 6 generations, contact information on each home that the chicks go to.

Each chick is sent home with a health guarantee, a hatch certificate, a Budgie Basics guide, a sprouting guide, veggie mash guide, information on our local avian vet, a favourite toy, and food.

So needless to say, I don't just toss together two birds, and then send babies home....unlike some people...

P.S, anyone notice how lovely and quiet it is in our forum again :)

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Raising baby budgies isn't easy, even if it's just 2 of them or 20 of them. Cages still need to be cleaned, nest boxes need to be cleaned twice a day, lots of extra food needs to be prepped, extra supplements need to be on hand, babies need to be monitored for weight gain, and I track EVERYTHING! Date the eggs were laid, if the eggs are fertile or not, dates the eggs were hatched, sex and mutation of each chick, leg band numbers of each chick, "pedigree" of each chick, some going back 5 or 6 generations, contact information on each home that the chicks go to.

Each chick is sent home with a health guarantee, a hatch certificate, a Budgie Basics guide, a sprouting guide, veggie mash guide, information on our local avian vet, a favourite toy, and food.

So needless to say, I don't just toss together two birds, and then send babies home....unlike some people...

But you have a male and female! :depressed: Who wouldn't want inbred budgies? It's not like there are a lot of them out there, leaving breeders no need to resort to inbreeding to keep the species going. You might get cool morphs, like curly legged budgies and-
:barf:
I can't keep this up.

:gag::gag::gag::sick::sick::sick:

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I keep track of every egg laid and when eggs are due to hatch and etc I only breed in the summer bred two hens twice spring then summer first hen hatched and raised 6 her second clutch there was 4 but she raised three last egg I fostered to give it a chance other hen had two chicks the first clutch and 5 the second one being a fostered egg but they were bred to different males each time my lines go back to 2008 lol my males carry my lines is why I seldomly ever pair the same two twice.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I usually breaks my heart to let them go, I miss them so much! BUT on the other hand, I'm happy to see them go to loving new families where I know they will be spoiled rotten and loved to death. AND, I get my sanity back for a little bit. (I don't breed year round)

You are so thorough, comprehensive, and thoughtful to the owner as well in breeding!
A baby would be lucky to be born in your flock!

And YES to the P.S., I have noticed - whooo hoooo!!!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Not sure if I remember how to embed a youtube video... hopefully this works!

(The pink stained feathers are from a raspberry, nothing to worry about)

Those little floof balls are precious! Love the pink raspberry look... he/she is stylin'!