• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raptor ID help

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hi! After Miyetti (the Band Tailed Pigeon I raised last summer) was gone, and before I got TD, I became addicted to birdwatching. I only have my phone to take photos with. I am saving up for the Hasselblad Telephoto Zoom mod, but haven't gotten it yet, so I couldn't get a good close up of the bird I saw today.

In the past year I've had two confirmed "uncommon sightings". A Purple Finch and a Cassin's Kingbird! My fiancee and I were fortunate to see a Giant Roadrunner just two days ago! He says in the almost 40 years he has lived in the area he has only seen one, and that was over 30 years ago! Of course, my phone was turned off while charging when the Roadrunner came by.

Since becoming a birdy slave to TD, I haven't spent nearly as much time watching birds, but I do still watch.

Today I saw this bird...
IMG_20171109_133723226(1).jpg
9920.jpg

These pics were as good as I could get. I tried my Merlin Bird ID app but to no avail. Then I searched through hundreds of birds of prey pictures. The ones I kept returning to we're these:

Black Chested Buzzard Eagle
Barred Hawk
White Tailed Hawk

However, it would seem that none of these beautiful birds neither live nor breed nor migrate through, Southern California.

I know that the pictures aren't very good, but I was hoping that with the very distinct way the black on it's head comes down towards the chest, and with the shape of it's wings in flight, maybe one of you more experienced birdwatchers could give me an educated guess? Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm no expert but with a white chest and what looks like a reddish tail, personally I would rule out the Black Chested and White Tailed options. Just guessing though.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks like a RedTail hawk..you can kind of see mahogany tail feathers and they have cream breast with little brown spots.

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
You are so lucky! I've just googled Roadrunners - that must have been amazing. What a bird - didn't know it's a cuckoo! You've had some great sightings.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
OOPS! Saw the same bird the next day. This time on a closer light pole. I was able to climb up on to the roof of the RV. The hawk was engrossed in his meal (a bird). I have extremely poor eyesight. I always have. Now I also have cataracts. It is a Red Tailed Hawk.
IMG_20171110_091428364_HDR_20171116211855067.jpg
IMG_20171110_091513681_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171110_091848775_HDR.jpg

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Red Tail Hawks are all over the place in Southern California. It's one of the reasons I have never harness trained Gracie as much as I want to. She is snack sized.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
They are all over Ohio as well (where I grew up). I saw an American Kestrel not long ago at that same spot. I'm not much of a SoCal fan really, but they do have a large variety of birds!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Where I grew up in the high desert we would have a migration path of Turkey Vultures every year and a group of them would roost in our neighbors trees for a few days before moving on. It was pretty neat to see. We had Quail in our yard and road runners every where. Then there where the owls lol Screaming in the middle of the night great way to wake up lol

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
I'm so jealous of these sightings...on the up side, I suppose I didn't have so much to worry about when I had my pigeon. You can't have everything!