• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RANT If you can't take care of them....

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I used to look under every piece of furniture and all closets. If I heard a noise in the night, I didn't want to drive myself nuts with my active imagination.
That's when the emergency protocol kicks in. You pull the covers up to your neck, stay absolutely still in bed, close your eyes and hope you fall asleep (before what turns out to be the furnace kicking on) or you have to go potty. Are you sure we aren't twins who were separated at birth?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are you sure we aren't twins who were separated at birth?
Maybe.

I'm not taking that DNA test thingy to know for sure. I have 15 siblings already. Plus I'm genetically modified (credit a friend for that term) since I have somebody else's body part to fix my torn ACL. There could be MORE of us!!!!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe.

I'm not taking that DNA test thingy to know for sure. I have 15 siblings already. Plus I'm genetically modified (credit a friend for that term) since I have somebody else's body part to fix my torn ACL. There could be MORE of us!!!!
15 siblings! Holy :andorspony:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Pbffft. Amateurs.

Everybody knows you're supposed to take a flying leaps from the bed to the middle of the room (and back) so that if there IS something underneath the bed, your ankles are too far away to grab.

Of course, that's a young person's game. I can't really manage flying leaps these days, so I just store lots of boxes under the bed. That way, nothing else can fit!
Freakin' hilarious!!!! Because I used to do that!!!!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Maybe.

I consider myself partly bionic since both knees have been replaced. Hasn't changed my speed (or shape) though.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Some people just don't pay attention to their kids. And some don't teach them respect.
I got my first parrot at 19. A macaw ( lou) , it actually belonged to a friend of family. We grew up with that family and went to school with them.
a tragic auto accident claimed the entire family one afternoon.
One of the older daughters was not in the car that afternoon. I remember the devisation..
I was asked to look after Lou while everyone ( including myself) digested all this. After a while the older daughter said " keep lou, take care of him, I can't deal with it right now. " I wasn't at all prepared for this, though I knew Lou and have held him quite a bit prior, I just wasn't ready.
But he ended up being with me another 36 years.
Point of this story, is my daughter's were born and raised around lou, and major, ( major Mitchell cockatoo I got a few years after lou.) I had no problem teaching my daughter's about parrots. Yes they gotten bitten a couple times, but they learned. Now they're around 30, they both own parrots as well. Ringnecks and caiques.
A child can learn the ropes of parroting, with proper guidance.
My Mom learned parroting because of me. I've always been fascinated with birds and as a family when we found a hurt critter we'd take it in and do what we could, lots of baby birds and we always had all kinds of pets. We also had Budgies when we were little kids and I always wanted a parrot so I got a BeeBee parrot when I was 11 or 12 I think. I managed to eventually wear him down til he chose me and we were great friends but my step dad hated him so after a while he forbade me letting him out. Ralph did not understand that so one day I snuck him out and he was upset and attacked me. It totally hurt my feelings so in a fit with my step dad urging me on I packed him up and sold him back to the store I got him from.:( I have regretted that to this day and my mom was furious with him and never forgave him. When my real dad died flying a plane into a mountain when I was about 18 I still wanted a parrot so my mom convinced step dad to let me get another bird. She found TWO Maximilian Pionus parrots together and we made a deal for them as they were very quiet and calm birds and appeared to be brothers so shop wanted them to stay together. That was Ferd and Nerd bird and they were inseparable. Ferd was the bigger, gentle, and nicely feathered one of the set, Nerd was skinny, very skittish, and had all kinds of yellow and white feathers and was missing some flights on his left wing. A few years in Ferd very suddenly fell ill and died the same day, Nerd and I grieved and bonded and we were best buds for 31 years. Mom always cared about him, and when he finally left us in 2009 we Found Lurch and I brought him home. He was nothing like Nerd. He was scared to death, mad at the world, and quick to bite without any warning. Over 5 years we came to a understanding and he chose me and would fly after me if I tried to leave the room. Mom would come over and try to interact with him if he seemed to be in a good mood and one day she reached to touch him and he NAILED her. She of course couldn't help it and pulled away suddenly and pulled him right off the chair he was on kicking and screaming and hanging onto her finger. After he let go and nobody was seriously hurt mom said oh, that was my fault, I shouldn't have reached for him and pulled away when he snapped at me, I hope he's alright.:xflove: She always cared for my birds or any critters we've had and always seems to find the good in anything they do even with a bloody finger.
Now Dobby for some reason LOVES to mess with her when she comes over, lunging and bluffing and making noise at her and she has nothing but love for him. Either she reminds him of his grandma that had a stroke so he knew she was different and wouldn't play with her anymore, or he just loves the way she screams and reacts when he messes with her. She is so far the only person I'm worried he may bite, he loves everyone he meets, but she deals with him and we keep an eye on those two.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My Mom learned parroting because of me. I've always been fascinated with birds and as a family when we found a hurt critter we'd take it in and do what we could, lots of baby birds and we always had all kinds of pets. We also had Budgies when we were little kids and I always wanted a parrot so I got a BeeBee parrot when I was 11 or 12 I think. I managed to eventually wear him down til he chose me and we were great friends but my step dad hated him so after a while he forbade me letting him out. Ralph did not understand that so one day I snuck him out and he was upset and attacked me. It totally hurt my feelings so in a fit with my step dad urging me on I packed him up and sold him back to the store I got him from.:( I have regretted that to this day and my mom was furious with him and never forgave him. When my real dad died flying a plane into a mountain when I was about 18 I still wanted a parrot so my mom convinced step dad to let me get another bird. She found TWO Maximilian Pionus parrots together and we made a deal for them as they were very quiet and calm birds and appeared to be brothers so shop wanted them to stay together. That was Ferd and Nerd bird and they were inseparable. Ferd was the bigger, gentle, and nicely feathered one of the set, Nerd was skinny, very skittish, and had all kinds of yellow and white feathers and was missing some flights on his left wing. A few years in Ferd very suddenly fell ill and died the same day, Nerd and I grieved and bonded and we were best buds for 31 years. Mom always cared about him, and when he finally left us in 2009 we Found Lurch and I brought him home. He was nothing like Nerd. He was scared to death, mad at the world, and quick to bite without any warning. Over 5 years we came to a understanding and he chose me and would fly after me if I tried to leave the room. Mom would come over and try to interact with him if he seemed to be in a good mood and one day she reached to touch him and he NAILED her. She of course couldn't help it and pulled away suddenly and pulled him right off the chair he was on kicking and screaming and hanging onto her finger. After he let go and nobody was seriously hurt mom said oh, that was my fault, I shouldn't have reached for him and pulled away when he snapped at me, I hope he's alright.:xflove: She always cared for my birds or any critters we've had and always seems to find the good in anything they do even with a bloody finger.
Now Dobby for some reason LOVES to mess with her when she comes over, lunging and bluffing and making noise at her and she has nothing but love for him. Either she reminds him of his grandma that had a stroke so he knew she was different and wouldn't play with her anymore, or he just loves the way she screams and reacts when he messes with her. She is so far the only person I'm worried he may bite, he loves everyone he meets, but she deals with him and we keep an eye on those two.

Great post Terri! I enjoyed it. Donny sounds like my zon, likes to mess with my wife. They used to be buddy buddy, but one day really attacked my wife, and since then it's been that way. Wants to hiss and growl at my wife.
But will talk to my wife, and sing with her.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great post Terri! I enjoyed it. Donny sounds like my zon, likes to mess with my wife. They used to be buddy buddy, but one day really attacked my wife, and since then it's been that way. Wants to hiss and growl at my wife.
But will talk to my wife, and sing with her.

Why do Zon's do this bluffing crap? Is there an actual reason. Buddy will do this w/ my husband, head down (scritches) then a minute or so goes by & clamp down on the finger. :unsure1::arghh:

This isn't an all the time scenario, I did even know it was a thing, until I found it in an article (on spruce pets) I think. We knew Buddy was doing it I just didn't read anywhere about it before a month ago. All the reading I do for him, I must've read it before somewhere but I'm pretty positive I haven't. I do have that getting up in years condition of CRS tho. May have something to do with it! :rofl:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret does it with me. I think they're scared. Just my humble opinion.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Why do Zon's do this bluffing crap? Is there an actual reason. Buddy will do this w/ my husband, head down (scritches) then a minute or so goes by & clamp down on the finger. :unsure1::arghh:

This isn't an all the time scenario, I did even know it was a thing, until I found it in an article (on spruce pets) I think. We knew Buddy was doing it I just didn't read anywhere about it before a month ago. All the reading I do for him, I must've read it before somewhere but I'm pretty positive I haven't. I do have that getting up in years condition of CRS tho. May have something to do with it! :rofl:

I do not know... Once my wife and Zon were pretty tight, preferred my wife. Then turned and prefers me now.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
When I first got Dobby he loved me, wanted to feed me and get scritches. Then he discovered that sister looked a lot like Momazon and she does cool things in the kitchen, he's very food motivated. Now I'm relagated to providing walnuts and protection, she gets scritchen duty and he tries to feed and woo her.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When it comes to Henry I don't take it as a bluff..... it's a threat. Leave or the threat will be followed through with an attack.
Yep, hubby just says something to the affect of "Ok, I'm done", then he does get to do the next fun thing. Off to the basket of solitude, or I just have to leave immediately & not be able to take him to... Whatever.

I do not know... Once my wife and Zon were pretty tight, preferred my wife. Then turned and prefers me now.

I worry about this, but being the one & only food delivery machine, it's doubtful. My husband even has the Buddy's addiction. Cashews! Just don't get it.

Secret does it with me. I think they're scared. Just my humble opinion.
For Buddy there's no fear to it. It's enticement (I'm so sweet & cute) & then groov...chomp! He can go into an attack mode if it's pushed & he has been known to try to re-entice. Just like @Mockinbirdiva said.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch there was no warning at all at first just the quickest and hardest bite he could manage. I think the leftover family he was stuck with was scared of him and he never understood why his very old man owner he loved left him because he went to a care home. So he was mad and didn't like them and acted out so they probably hit at him and stuffed him in a room by himself. The lady I got him from got him from the family and had 23 other birds. She didn't have the time to work with him and hard clipped him probably for self protection. Her birds seemed well fed and warm and clean anyways and Lurches nails were trimmed and everything. She more than likely also needed the money to support herself and her other birds. It took a long time to get to a understanding with him but he was happy at the end and could fly well again. He did start giving warnings again once he realized he was safe and started to care for me but being grumpy and biting was a feature for him. If he was in a pissy mood I left him alone till he sweetened up or had to be fast, or I paid the price.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lurch there was no warning at all at first just the quickest and hardest bite he could manage. I think the leftover family he was stuck with was scared of him and he never understood why his very old man owner he loved left him because he went to a care home. So he was mad and didn't like them and acted out so they probably hit at him and stuffed him in a room by himself. The lady I got him from got him from the family and had 23 other birds. She didn't have the time to work with him and hard clipped him probably for self protection. Her birds seemed well fed and warm and clean anyways and Lurches nails were trimmed and everything. She more than likely also needed the money to support herself and her other birds. It took a long time to get to a understanding with him but he was happy at the end and could fly well again. He did start giving warnings again once he realized he was safe and started to care for me but being grumpy and biting was a feature for him. If he was in a pissy mood I left him alone till he sweetened up or had to be fast, or I paid the price.

Buddy just gets to be a stinker! I do know he's in pain sometimes. I don't think he's been abused, but my Dad was a little hard for me to deal w/ & I didn't live w/ him, ever. Buddy dealt w/ him daily for 20 + yrs. Maybe he feels after looking down on my Dad, for days after my Dad passed on, that he can go thru that again. He won't let himself get close. My daughter & I talk almost every day, & unless hubby's alive & I'm gone, Buddy goes to her. It's doubtful he'll have to go thru that again. Thank Goodness!

I'm glad that Lurch found you & you found Lurch. Even if he can be that stinker, you still love him. To bad he got a bad deal in the beginning of life, hopefully, he won't have to go thru anymore bad homes!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well unfortunately he escaped in spring of 2016 and I climbed two trees and we watched over him for 2 days and finally crows scared him away :( Now I have Dobby, the most social, hyper, Maxi I've ever known. He refuses to bite and loves my sister. I renew Lurches lost ad every week just in case and hope someone found him and he's happy if they chose not to find out where he came from.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
For Buddy there's no fear to it. It's enticement (I'm so sweet & cute) & then groov...chomp! He can go into an attack mode if it's pushed & he has been known to try to re-entice. Just like @Mockinbirdiva said.
That is exactly what Secret does.

I just think, somehow, it's fear motivated. Over the years it's talking longer for the bird to snap at me.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yep, hubby just says something to the affect of "Ok, I'm done", then he does get to do the next fun thing. Off to the basket of solitude, or I just have to leave immediately & not be able to take him to... Whatever.

I worry about this, but being the one & only food delivery machine, it's doubtful. My husband even has the Buddy's addiction. Cashews! Just don't get it.

Well poppers was originally a woman's bird. When I first got poppers, poppers would sit and cuddle up to my wife, on her shoulder and sing. Didn't care for me.
Now it did a 360, she cuddles with me and will hiss and growl at my wife. She attacked my wife real good once, leapped to her and bit bit bit!!!
Got her really good, on neck, below eye and wrist.
She won't hold poppers any more, but will talk to her from a few feet away. Even now, two years later, poppers will run up get in front of me and hiss at wife. When my wife is far enough away from me, poppers goes back to what she was doing. So my wife goes...look I'm touching daddy, and here she ( poppers) comes growling and hissing.