• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RainMaker air filter question/essential oils.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I have Paco in my room and he is dusty. I can't afford a Hepa filter. I did get a rain maker that the salesman says it filters the air with water and it is great. He did put 2 drops of essential oils in it. He assured me it was 100% natural. I have it out in the kitchen 2 rooms away from the bird. I have read that these oils are dangerous to parrots. I have since washed it with soap and water, ran plain water in it for weeks and then water with vinegar. I contacted the company and they told me to wash it with alcohol. Will it be safe to use? I don't want to take that risk.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks guys. I am still nervous about using it. I need to do something they are quite dusty birds. I now give him a shower twice a week and wipe down the furniture. Other then that he is finally, FINALLY starting to calm down some more and his now head bobbing to music!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The filter itself is and will be fine. It's not doing much 2 rooms away. It needs to be near the bird.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I know it's not doing any good 2 rooms away. I was so afraid that the oils would kill him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you have done what you said you have done the oils are long gone and the unit is safe. You can use it next to your bird now. And you should use it there.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks Hank. Now can anyone tell me where I find the link to the sprouts? Daily Waley? LOL I can't remember and I thought I book marked it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are many sources of sprouts - Waley's Dailies is one of them. just Google "waylie's daylies".

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I found it despite my lousy spelling, LOL thank you.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well guys thanks for your help. I must have cleaned it pretty good, Paco is still alive and the rainmaker really helps with the dust and floofies from Paco.