• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rainbow Lorikeets and other Parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
Hey just wondering if anyone has other parrots along with their rainbows? I found a few youtube vids of people with Rainbows and Greys together, but they don't seem to really get along. How have your experiences been? (Cheeky has chased and tried to eat my doves! so no more out-together time!)

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
I don't have a rainbow but Noodle likes to terrorize Abby and El. She chases them and takes over their toys, perches etc. She is a bit of a mini monster really when it comes to them. I swear she taunts them after by imitating Abby's contact call.

Evil. Pure. Evil.

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
OMG, why is that guy letting the rainbow mess in his mouth and get all the bacteria? Gross, for the bird!
I have my first lory and it's a Red Lory. He is as sweet and playful as can be. But let another bird near him and he opens his mouth wide and makes a really ugly noise. I took him with me to a friends house and she has his sibling and about 4 other Lories; he jumped right in and played with them. Maybe they just like their own species.

MerryWings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rahni
Lories are notorious for not being good with other birds and for a reason! At best they will just ignore other birds or tolerate them, there are a few exceptions but they are rare. I am birdsitting a lorikeet that get's on ok with other birds, but she is a rare thing. I would not even try with my guys, someone would end up hurt! They really do speak a different language to other birds. The only other parrots I think they might get along with would be caiques, though that is pure speculation.

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
It could also be something to do with them being brought up together, well if the Rainbow lori was still a baby when it was brought into another birds household. Maybe?

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
My rainbow has no boundaries or sense of personal space - he either can't read the other birds' signals or just doesn't care and he is way too high energy for them to tolerate. I will have him out with others but I am his playstand so he is 100% supervised - he can't be trusted to stay put on a playstand and not bother anybody.

Jess

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jess
I have found that my lorikeets have not got on well with others, my rainbow was incredibly aggressive towards the other birds and couldnt be out in the same room as them. My lory Summer was very friendly as a baby and loved to play with the others, but now he's got to about 6/7 months and is growing up a bit he has decided he wont tolerate them at all. He's ok out in the same room as long as they dont come near him, he wont fly over to attack or anything, but if the others get too near he wiill scream and threaten them, and he would bite them if they didnt take the hint.

This was summer as a baby with the others:

Ashling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mel
My lorikeet gets on relatively well with other birds... when she's naughty, she's just trying to have fun. My three small parrots live in the birdroom together and usually get along. Sometimes my lorikeet will amuse herself by chasing my cockatiel and delights in hearing him screech at her, and recently she pulled out a feather to get a reaction out of him (and then laughed when I scolded her). My pearly conure established early on that he won't tolerate her mischief, so she gives him plenty of space.

She likes to taunt my galah, too... but that isn't allowed, for obvious reasons! She only taunts birds that give her a funny reaction (just like she'll bite people who give her a funny reaction...)

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I tend to think Lori's are kind of like Caiques... they have the reputation but don't always fall under it!

Hi Mel! <3

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I have 3 now, which are all very aggressive to my other birds. I have to keep them separated from them when any of the birds are out of their cages. I had a rainbow lorikeet in the past who was not aggressive to the other birds, however. She even willingly paired up with one of my conures. They shared a cage for a few years before she died.
My Chatterings & Duyvenbode will intentionally seek out the smaller birds and try to attack them, so I have to supervise them very carefully.

NZ michael

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michael
I have a IRN who dislikes my lori cause he wont leave her alone so when there out i have to supervise them all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.