• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

R.R gave me a mini heart attack

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Left the big door of their cage open so they can fly around if they wanted to.

Had to rescue Sherbert from under the table and the ceiling fan light. Then while I’m still helping Sherbert R.R decides to fly out and go who knows where. I went full panic mode trying to find him. I was worried he flew into the turtle tank or in the sink or got stuck behind the fridge.

Next thing I know he flys out of nowhere on top of the group cage and is just playing with string.

I need some help with him.

Sherbert is currently doing decent with getting on a perch not completely ready for full hands yet. Doesn’t get scared if I put her near my face.

R.R is the one I need help with if you don’t mind, he a little scared if I try to get him to step up, maybe more plain annoyed than anything. Not to bad if I get my hand near him, but a bit of the time won’t let me touch him.

Any help with this? Also, R.R is fine. I’m watching him walking on top of Jesse’s cage right now.

Any help with his behavior and any future training for the budgies is helpful.

Sorry to bug you. Bye!

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Wonderful. Now they are both playing on and in the fan.... 4CE03EA4-8540-4D6A-9E5D-2ACF5C922767.jpeg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
When Fergus first got here in June 2017, he would spend LOTS of time just sitting to whatever perch he decided to fly to. One time he spent over 3 hours on my hanging capiz shell floor to ceiling lamp. It's like he flies there, and is scared to come down! But I gave him all the time he needed, figuring he would finally come on down, and he did.

Then there was the time he flew behind the oven when Fiona first got here in November... Oh my - talk about heart attack. I thought I'd never see my little boy again. Now when they have fly time, my door is always closed where they can't get in the kitchen! Lucky I had a drawer in the bottom of my oven, or he might have met a bad fate. When I slowwwwly pulled the drawer out, there he was sitting on the very back of it. When I shone a flashlight in, he flew out. He flew behind some curtains and didn't peep until Fiona called out for him!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
O dear, that must have been quite a scare @Fergus Mom !

@Stevetomobs it seeds like you are making progress already! But what sk you mean with being touched? Because Some birds just don’t like being touched on their body, none of mine really enjoy that. Fëanor is not a bird for cuddles and kisses, we do a Kiss game where he Will/softly nip my face, them I Will give him a quick Kiss, and so on. But he is really excited while we do that, jumping and vocalizing and if I don’t watch out he might bite out of exvitement! On the other hand, Henkie loves kisses and cuddles up to my face all the time, and Some days he enjoys scritches with my hand. So Maybe that is just not R.R.’s thing?
Fear of hands on the other hand can be remedied! Try to give him LOADS of positve experiences with your hand and avoid scaring him(Unless of course he is in danger or anything like that). I would start by giving him a treat every time you walk by for example.
You could also start clicker and target training. Teach him that a click means he is doing something right by clicking and immediantly giving him a treat. You know he ‘gets’ it, when you click and he looks up from whatever he is doing to see where his treat is. Then you can start desentising him to your hands. Place you hand somewhere near him, not too close so he won’t be scared. Now, when he looks at your hand click and treat. Then you can start to only click when he moves towards your hand. Slowly increase the distance he has to walk to your hand, so when in time he Will have to be next/on your hand in order to recieve a treat.
Target training him is another way to train him, teach him to touch the end of a target stick(that can be a chopstick for example) using the clicker. Then you can start trageting him around. Slowly increase the distance he has to walk/fly to the target, So that eveantually you can target him back to his cage for example.
Hope this helps a bit!

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
O dear, that must have been quite a scare @Fergus Mom !

@Stevetomobs it seeds like you are making progress already! But what sk you mean with being touched? Because Some birds just don’t like being touched on their body, none of mine really enjoy that. Fëanor is not a bird for cuddles and kisses, we do a Kiss game where he Will/softly nip my face, them I Will give him a quick Kiss, and so on. But he is really excited while we do that, jumping and vocalizing and if I don’t watch out he might bite out of exvitement! On the other hand, Henkie loves kisses and cuddles up to my face all the time, and Some days he enjoys scritches with my hand. So Maybe that is just not R.R.’s thing?
Fear of hands on the other hand can be remedied! Try to give him LOADS of positve experiences with your hand and avoid scaring him(Unless of course he is in danger or anything like that). I would start by giving him a treat every time you walk by for example.
You could also start clicker and target training. Teach him that a click means he is doing something right by clicking and immediantly giving him a treat. You know he ‘gets’ it, when you click and he looks up from whatever he is doing to see where his treat is. Then you can start desentising him to your hands. Place you hand somewhere near him, not too close so he won’t be scared. Now, when he looks at your hand click and treat. Then you can start to only click when he moves towards your hand. Slowly increase the distance he has to walk to your hand, so when in time he Will have to be next/on your hand in order to recieve a treat.
Target training him is another way to train him, teach him to touch the end of a target stick(that can be a chopstick for example) using the clicker. Then you can start trageting him around. Slowly increase the distance he has to walk/fly to the target, So that eveantually you can target him back to his cage for example.
Hope this helps a bit!
Thanks for the advice, and what I meant by ‘touch’ is more he’ll deal with my hand but moves away once I get too close or am annoying him by trying to get him to step up.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for the advice, and what I meant by ‘touch’ is more he’ll deal with my hand but moves away once I get too close or am annoying him by trying to get him to step up.
Ah okay, I thought Maybe as in petting him! R.R. Sounds like a feisty little character:D