• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rüppell's parrot

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Just wonder if anyone has any info on them and what they think of them in the parrot forum.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@GlassOnion has one, but has not been on the forum lately.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Ruppells is the mystery parrot of the highly successful Poicephalus family. I have always thought they were beautiful, although the Meyers is more colorful, in my opinion.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm in love with them but the size has always kept me away since I have medium sized parrots and have always kept to that size for worry of a certain grey (who shall go unnamed...Tuchis TAG). Glass Onion seemed to really enjoy her little boy but he seemed to have a bit of spirited streak if I remember correctly! You can probably find lots of posts from her if you do a search on Ruppell's.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
A Ruppell's would fit in quite well here! :D
Yes, he or she would!:) I've always dreamed of having a little mini Poi aviary with a Sennie, a Red Belly, a Meyer's, a Brown Head, and a Ruppell's who all grew up together! I just think they are all totally awesome...that pesky little grey though...that pesky little grey....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, he or she would!:) I've always dreamed of having a little mini Poi aviary with a Sennie, a Red Belly, a Meyer's, a Brown Head, and a Ruppell's who all grew up together! I just think they are all totally awesome...that pesky little grey though...that pesky little grey....
I had the opportunity to buy a grey. The choice was a grey vs a bare-eyed. I chose the bare-eyed (avatar Cody). I love all my birds but there is something about Pois. If I could I would add a Cape, Jardine's, Meyer's and Ruppell's. Never seen a Niam Niam or a yellow fronted for sale or adoption.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have a friend in Sweden that have them. (breeding them too) They are like a Meyer. But as you know, all birds are individual. :)
When Eloy died I was going to get a Rüppel to Akela, but change my mind when I did find Maxis in Denmark.
That is telling that I really like Pois. Meyers and Brown Headed (that I have own) are great parrots. ♥

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I had the opportunity to buy a grey. The choice was a grey vs a bare-eyed. I chose the bare-eyed (avatar Cody). I love all my birds but there is something about Pois. If I could I would add a Cape, Jardine's, Meyer's and Ruppell's. Never seen a Niam Niam or a yellow fronted for sale or adoption.
I am absolutely in love with the Slender Bills as well but I swore we would only have one white Cockatoo in our house at one time and Reggie Lou D2 is it! I love our greys, probably more than the pink fink Galah snots. I started with Tuchis TAG though and just never thought that he would be accepting of a Poi. There were a few Sennies along the way that I would have brought home in an instant but didn't dare because I was too worried that Tuchis would probably kill them because of the size difference...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have a friend in Sweden that have them. (breeding them too) They are like a Meyer. But as you know, all birds are individual. :)
When Eloy died I was going to get a Rüppel to Akela, but change my mind when I did find Maxis in Denmark.
That is telling that I really like Pois. Meyers and Brown Headed (that I have own) are great parrots. ♥
That whole small Poi family...:heart::heart::heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How does the Ducorp's compare to the Goffin's or the Bare-eyed?

You can't predict how birds will get along with each other. My Goffin's and YNA are not trustworthy around the smaller birds whereas my BFA is usually OK. My bare-eyed is a big "chicken" and it would be more likely that one of the red-bellies would bug and hurt her than her hurting any of the other birds.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
How does the Ducorp's compare to the Goffin's or the Bare-eyed?

You can't predict how birds will get along with each other. My Goffin's and YNA are not trustworthy around the smaller birds whereas my BFA is usually OK. My bare-eyed is a big "chicken" and it would be more likely that one of the red-bellies would bug and hurt her than her hurting any of the other birds.
The D2 is a whole different animal. I love Reggie so much but I don't even know how to describe him and from all I've learned, D2s in general are fairly similar. He's very, very needy. I got him at about 2.5 years of age from a local pet store and he's very bonded to me. He's very loud too and will scream for long lengths of time for no reason at all. Someone at the pet store taught him how to do this and I've never been able to break him of this habit. I've probably made it worse over the years. He will be 16 in March. He's not inquisitive like some of the G2s I've met but that might just be because of how he was raised. I've also met G2s who are a lot like him who don't really want to play with toys and want to be with you 24/7. If he could be surgically attached to me he would be. He had a bought of zinc poisoning around the age of 7 that we just could not get rid of despite several chelation attempts and finally decided that his personal number of 3.9ppm was normal for him but I had him tested again about a year ago and it was down to 2.9ppm so it had to have been abnormal then. He's torn out all his feathers except for some down feathers and his head feathers, but I still love him terribly. I have to be very careful with him though because I'm always worried that he might fall now that he doesn't really have wings to keep his balance. He's still as sassy as he's always been though! He was incredibly hormonal from about four years of age until about 12 and has since really mellowed. I don't know if I would get another one but maybe the issues I've had with Reggie were because I didn't get him from an early age. I met a Slender Bill in person at TASC this year and totally fell in love. I've liked them for years and seeing this little guy in person really sealed the deal for me. Of course I have more birds than I need at this point!:)

Parrots are funny little souls. Tuchis doesn't really get along with anyone. I think he thought he was going to be an "only child". That was definitely never going to be his fate! OMG! He is 14 today! He and Reggie who was my second bird never got along and still don't. There are a few birds that Tuchis either just stays away from or downright has been put in his place by and will not tangle with...that would be Iris our female BFA! LOL! He's actually really good friends with my first Galah, Kishka...they are like peas in a pod and if you let them out together, they will destroy the house!:) Such funny things they are...he is the reason I do not own Pois though...I think I would have definitely had a few, including a Ruppell's. Happy Hatchday my lovely little grey baby!:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy #14 to Tuchis. So Tuchis gets along with Kishka. It's good that he has a buddy. My Goffin's likes my BFA but she is a pest and bugs him too much which isn't a good thing. Last time she visited with him (she let herself out of her cage) she had slightly bitten his feet. I think he didn't want to bother with her and she got mad and bit him through the cage bars. I was very surprised because she had never hurt him in the past. When she comes out she always heads towards his cage.

Poor Reggie. He is lucky to have a very good home! It's great that his zinc levels have gone down and that he is not exhibiting any symptoms. My Goffin's is very independent. She does her own thing. My bare-eyed is more needy. Both are screamers but generally just at night when it's time to go to bed. Neither of them pluck (knock on wood). They are both fearful of new things but the Goffin's generally gets over that faster. The Goffin's plays more and likes to take things apart. The BE is afraid of strangers and new objects and if she gets to stressed she will seizure. I blame myself for the BE's sensitivity. When I got her I was not in a good place and she just stayed home with me and basically only saw me and my mom. I handled her a lot and handfed her for several weeks but didn't expose her to enough unfamiliar people. She had lots of toys, though, and used to "play catch" with with a Kong toy (still does that).

My BFA would sometimes let himself out of his cage and he never bothered anyone. The one thing he would do was remove every key from the computer keyboard. That was his entertainment when he got out.

My flock is very full right now but if someone stopped by and handed me a Poi, especially a Ruppell's, I wouldn't refuse.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
LOL! Like you, if someone stopped by and offered me a Poi of any kind, it would be very hard to say no! I really like the Capes too...I need another bird like I need a hole in the head though! No more Amazons (she said that three Amazons ago!), no more Ekkies, definitely no more Galahs! I would take a female grey in a heartbeat. Other than that, I have an awful fascination for most Cockatoos out there...Major Mitchell...I'm there! Red Tailed Black...I'm there...like that's ever going to happen! LOL! Bare Eyed, I'd have to think twice about...and my Slender Bill. I would definitely have to quit my real job and be a stay at home birdie mommy if we took in any more birds which I would be more than happy to do...Jon isn't so keen on that idea since I make more than he does! LOL!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have multiple jobs: looking after your birds, looking after your husband, your outside job and your bird toy making job. You are a very busy person. I can understand why Jon wouldn't like you quitting your job.

I would take a Major Mitchell's, a Black Palm or a Vasa parrot. Wouldn't mind an Aracari like Kevin :D @Calpurnia.

You could always put your Pois in a room separate from the other birds.

@Eloy You could still get a Ruppell's some day. If you get one and decide you don't want it I know where you can send him/her. :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You could always put your Pois in a room separate from the other birds.
Don't tempt me! I've already got the plans for our bird room floating around in my brain...I could sneak in a little area for a Poi room couldn't I?:xflove: