• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Qurantine is over- Time to meet and greet

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I am hoping that Bella, approx 1 yr, and Cowboy, 8 both CAG, can become friends. Cowboy is very afraid, still, of his own shadow. I think Bella can show him the ropes and he might be able to relax. So today is the last day of the quarantine, such as it was. Bella snuck into Cowboys room on 3 separate occasions. They also began calling to each other.

Originally my thought had been to wheel Cowboys cage out next to Bellas, but was foiled because with the seed catchers in, it's too wide and I don't have help right now. Then I put him in the atom next to her cage last night and that went well.

Just now I decided to let them play on or around one of the cages. I read somewhere recently that putting the newbie on the old hands cage...not a good idea. So I put Bella on Cowboys cage. They interviewed each other quietly for awhile, making nice noises, then there was a fracas, feathers flying everywhere.

So I tried something more neutral, the play stand. They definitely postured to each other and i waited, with a towel, nearby, in case my intervention was needed. Now, for the moment, they seem to be playing happily on the play stand together.

All throughout this the nice clucking noises are being made.

Now, as far as Cowboys fear is concerned, it has only minutely improved. He screams and thrashes if I try to put my hand in. But I pushed the play stand up to the open door of his cage, and he comes out frequently. From there I can give him a treat or maybe get a step up. The step up usually comes once he has hurled himself to the floor. At that point, no fear, easy step up, never even the slightest hint of a bite. So I'm thinking, hey! All the negative behavior emanates from the cage. What if I could arrange a cage free situation for him and build on the positive

Last edited:

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The cage-free setup for Cowboy sounds like a great idea! I wonder if he was forced/dragged out of the cage in the past?
Hope he and Bella forge a beautiful friendship. :)

Hallie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
His behavior is very similar to Oliver.
I can tell you that a cage free set up alone will not help. I've been trying this with Oliver, but it only makes him more defensive. He feels more secure in his cage when I approach vs. when he is on top of his cage or out. Like cowboy, the only time he steps up easily is if he flutters to the floor trying to get away from me and knows I'm his safe way back to the cage. He steps up for anyone if he's in a new place, but once he feels comfortable enough he'll get defensive when asked to step up. If I try to use a perch, most of the time he is terrified and falls out of the cage, but I think someone has been very mean to him in the past. Oliver is obviously a work in progress, but I have a good idea of how good things will get with him and I.

My advice for you is not to expect too much, and get him comfortable in the cage first. Oliver also frantically tried to get away if I put my hand in the cage, but after a week or two and LOTS of good treats, he would cautiously walk to the door for a treat. Also, what has helped me tremendously is letting Oliver hang out alone while I wash dishes, watch tv, etc. He still flinches if anyone moves faster than a tortoise, but it's helped him get more comfortable around me in general.

I don't know if Cowboy's situation is anything like Oliver's, but his behavior sounds the same. Good luck with him, and thanks for giving him a good home! :hug8:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
moonchild;1670196]The cage-free setup for Cowboy sounds like a great idea! I wonder if he was forced/dragged out of the cage in the past?
Hope he and Bella forge a beautiful friendship. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm really thinking something bad having to do with the cage happened. I want to be able to work with him, and for Bella to have positive interaction with him, but how can that happen up if each single occasion starts with a trauma.??

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
His behavior is very similar to Oliver.
I can tell you that a cage free set up alone will not help. I've been trying this with Oliver, but it only makes him more defensive. He feels more secure in his cage when I approach vs. when he is on top of his cage or out. Like cowboy, the only time he steps up easily is if he flutters to the floor trying to get away from me and knows I'm his safe way back to the cage. He steps up for anyone if he's in a new place, but once he feels comfortable enough he'll get defensive when asked to step up. If I try to use a perch, most of the time he is terrified and falls out of the cage, but I think someone has been very mean to him in the past. Oliver is obviously a work in progress, but I have a good idea of how good things will get with him and
My advice for you is not to expect too much, and get him comfortable in the cage first. Oliver also frantically tried to get away if I put my hand in the cage, but after a week or two and LOTS of good treats, he would cautiously walk to the door for a treat. Also, what has helped me tremendously is letting Oliver hang out alone while I wash dishes, watch tv, etc. He still flinches if anyone moves faster than a tortoise, but it's helped him get more comfortable around me in general.

I don't know if Cowboy's situation is anything like Oliver's, but his behavior sounds the same. Good luck with him, and thanks for giving him a good home! :hug8:
That is very valuable input. I really don't know much about Cowboys past, but what you describe sounds familiar. When you say you let Oliver hang out with you while you are doing dishes, etc, where is he? Still in a cage, loose, playstand? Thx.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Wow, you're moving fast with him! I think a cage free set up would be wonderful with him, if you can ensure safety. I'd also introduce them (just my opinion) a little more slowly, and allow them to make the decision to get closer to each other. I'd probably put a stand between the two cages, that would allow each of them to slowly get used to each other, and then decide when to move closer to each other.

Have you ever clicker trained? I hear it's awesome for building trust, and helping with birds that are fearful.

So glad Cowboy is now with you and seems to be doing well. He's such a cutie pie. Hoping he and Bella do become good friends in time.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Katy - your photos of your precious ones are often sideways. Any way to rotate them?

I love your positive energy about your birds.

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
Sounds like lots of progress is being made. I hope Bella and Cowboy become friends. :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
It looks like they will get along!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The biggest mistake anyone can make is to "rush" things. The slower you take things the better the chance of success. Do not set "expectations" and just go with the flow. (baby steps).

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Hope all goes well with Cowboy and Bella. I do not have any African Grey's - no advice but my thoughts - sometimes good relationships happen over time. Good luck! :)

Hallie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
That is very valuable input. I really don't know much about Cowboys past, but what you describe sounds familiar. When you say you let Oliver hang out with you while you are doing dishes, etc, where is he? Still in a cage, loose, playstand? Thx.
When I let him hang 'out' and watch me, he's usually alone in my living room on a towel on the back of the couch. He likes it there now and will hop off of my hand to the back of the couch when I'm taking him into the living room. I give him fruits and bread (he's obsessed with bread) when he's on the back of the couch, and he loves it. He's even started coming to me when I'm watching TV.

The key is just to let him observe outside of the cage. It makes the bird feel comfortable and safe, and helps it get used to regular everyday activities. If you always get him out of the cage to interact with him, it could backfire and make him even more scared of coming out. I've shown Oliver that coming out of his cage does not equal unwanted attention or a taming session.

I hope you can do more with Cowboy than I have done with Oliver. :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Katy - your photos of your precious ones are often sideways. Any way to rotate them?

I love your positive energy about your birds.
I am aware they are often sideways. I apologize. I've tried and tried. I take pics with my iPad usually which has a self -rotating feature. A couple of AA members have fixed a few for me. I think they have to be removed offsite, then fixed and uploaded from there. More time and energy than I have right now, having just doubled my flock. Again sorry for the inconvenience. :huh:

Last edited:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
When I let him hang 'out' and watch me, he's usually alone in my living room on a towel on the back of the couch. He likes it there now and will hop off of my hand to the back of the couch when I'm taking him into the living room. I give him fruits and bread (he's obsessed with bread) when he's on the back of the couch, and he loves it. He's even started coming to me when I'm watching TV.

The key is just to let him observe outside of the cage. It makes the bird feel comfortable and safe, and helps it get used to regular everyday activities. If you always get him out of the cage to interact with him, it could backfire and make him even more scared of coming out. I've shown Oliver that coming out of his cage does not equal unwanted attention or a taming session.

I hope you can do more with Cowboy than I have done with Oliver. :)
That sounds very smart and very reasonable. The difference between Gizmo, here one week, but with problems, and Cowboy here one month, is huge. Gizmo you can see is carving out his territory and singing and making noise. Cowboy was doing ok and something spooked him. Becky mentioned to be careful not to go too fast. Perhaps I did, because after being with Bella on the playstand yesterday, which did result in at least one feathery fracas, he now has eaten nothing all day. I need to remind myself that even when things seem to be going great, GO SLOW!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
The biggest mistake anyone can make is to "rush" things. The slower you take things the better the chance of success. Do not set "expectations" and just go with the flow. (baby steps).
Thanks. So much against my nature. I no doubt will have to learn this the hard way. Poor Cowboy. After all he's been through, does he not deserve someone with half a brain for a parront?:confused:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow, you're moving fast with him! I think a cage free set up would be wonderful with him, if you can ensure safety. I'd also introduce them (just my opinion) a little more slowly, and allow them to make the decision to get closer to each other. I'd probably put a stand between the two cages, that would allow each of them to slowly get used to each other, and then decide when to move closer to each other.

Have you ever clicker trained? I hear it's awesome for building trust, and helping with birds that are fearful.

So glad Cowboy is now with you and seems to be doing well. He's such a cutie pie. Hoping he and Bella do become good friends in time.
Yes, Becky, before Bella got sick we were clicker training a couple times a day. She just wasn't feeling well, didn't have the energy, etc, so we stopped. Now I'd like to get everyone going again. For Cowboy the major issue will be getting him out of his cage and onto a playstand or Tstand. So even before that, I think I had better follow yours, and Johns and Maxsmoms, and several others and slow down and take more time to get him comfortable in his new home. Then I do plan on doing clicker training.

Last edited: