• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quiet Ringneck?

Northwinds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela Hendrickson
Our new IRN came home last Thursday. He is about 4 months old and so quiet. I was under the impression they are a chattier bird. I haven’t heard him make a sound yet.
He is adjusting well and making friends with our Sun Conure. Will he always be this quiet?

Attachments

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
he'll more than likely start talking more once he gets really comfortable, but every bird is different with different personalities so that might just be the way he likes it.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
He's very new. My Pionus was silent for a week when he came to live with me. He has just lost everything he knows - his old flock, familiar surroundings, familiar cage, familiar food, etc. He needs time to get used to his new flock and surroundings. As Kaden said, as soon as he feels more settled and relaxed he will start vocalizing.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree with all the above posts. He will find his voice when he adjusts. IRN have lovely voices :xflove:

Look how yummy those beans are! nom nom nom nom! :p

Are you going to let his wings grow in? It will be best for him to have flight. IRN are active birds and it will be a great way for him to burn off that energy. :fairy:

Northwinds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela Hendrickson
I agree with all the above posts. He will find his voice when he adjusts. IRN have lovely voices :xflove:

Look how yummy those beans are! nom nom nom nom! :p

Are you going to let his wings grow in? It will be best for him to have flight. IRN are active birds and it will be a great way for him to burn off that energy. :fairy:
Yes, both him and the Sun Conure came to us with their wings clipped however we will be letting them grow back. Just feels wrong to be to clip a birds wings. Like taking away what makes them a bird in the first place. I know for many it is a safety issue. My biggest concern is windows and then hurting themselves if they fly into one. We have window decals on all the windows that they are able to get to. Also have a outdoor cage for them to enjoy the sunshine in and hope to have a “Avery” built for them to enjoy one day.:marlenesmile::smileflower:

Reactions: tka

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yes, both him and the Sun Conure came to us with their wings clipped however we will be letting them grow back. Just feels wrong to be to clip a birds wings. Like taking away what makes them a bird in the first place. I know for many it is a safety issue. My biggest concern is windows and then hurting themselves if they fly into one. We have window decals on all the windows that they are able to get to. Also have a outdoor cage for them to enjoy the sunshine in and hope to have a “Avery” built for them to enjoy one day.:marlenesmile::smileflower:
When I got my Pi from the breeder they clipped him. I was heart broken. Birdies need their wings. I hope his first molt goes smoothly it will give him MUCH more confidence to fly. :hug8:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
You never know. Kiwi was a very quiet baby. She started talking (yours may or may not talk) around 8 months. As I always say on here...she is LOUD.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
None of my fids are ringnecks, but all of them were very quiet and reserved when they first came home. It's an adjustment period as they learn about the new world they're in, but once they find their place and they're confident, the vocalisations follow.

Mantis64

Our new IRN came home last Thursday. He is about 4 months old and so quiet. I was under the impression they are a chattier bird. I haven’t heard him make a sound yet.
He is adjusting well and making friends with our Sun Conure. Will he always be this quiet?
You could try to play natural Indian ringneck sounds on YouTube this is what I did to get my Indian ringneck to start talking and now when he wants something he let's me know.

WindGlider

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara McQuirns
Ours was the same when he came home at 4 months. It's been 7 months and chatters for hours on end. Some are words and phrases we use like peekaboo, tickle tickle, what do you want, I love you, give me a kiss, thank you, good boy, baby blue, come here, step up and more. Then, he fills in with cute little chatter he's made up. It started suddenly, as though it all made sense to him at once.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ours was the same when he came home at 4 months. It's been 7 months and chatters for hours on end. Some are words and phrases we use like peekaboo, tickle tickle, what do you want, I love you, give me a kiss, thank you, good boy, baby blue, come here, step up and more. Then, he fills in with cute little chatter he's made up. It started suddenly, as though it all made sense to him at once.
Super cute! :swoon:

Buganjimo

Meeting neighbors
ive had my IRN for about two years this august, and she is *so loud* they really get their voices when they start to get more confident. mine doesnt talk, but she does mimic my laugh. yours is so cute