• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quick Question- Safe herbs?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hi all!

I just have a quick question pertaining to herbs.

I'm making up the batch of chop for the next few days. Right now it's got carrot (about half of one), broccoli, a couple of almonds, a couple of walnuts, some pellet dust and a teeny (and I mean teeny) dash of powdered cayenne pepper.

So I'm looking for other herbs that are safe to put in there, that you think might go well with the other ingredients! I've got a ton of stuff on hand. Basil, bay, rosemary, anise, thyme, all kinds of good stuff! I'm just not sure what's gonna be safe.

Suggestions?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
parsely dandelion milk thissle in small quanties

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Cilantro, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, sage. :) Ella loves fresh cilantro.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I know you want SAFE HERBS....but worth reminding people -
Avoid nutmeg - there's a reason kids once used it (very commonly) as a cheap 'high'.
NOT safe for birds - Please read -

"Nutmeg is known to be highly toxic to dogs, causing neurotoxicity. Nutmeg contains psychoactive substances that, in large doses, can cause poisoning and psychoactive and hallucinogenic effects in people, due to the presence of myristicin in nutmeg.

Whole nutmeg nuts and nutmeg spices are considered a risky food for parrots, with no reason to provide them with this food. The potential health risks make this is a food that is not suitable for birds to consume."

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Cilantro, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, sage. :) Ella loves fresh cilantro.
Huh! Just so happens that we have most of those! Rosemary is my go to herb with about anything I eat. :)

I know you want SAFE HERBS....but worth reminding people -
Avoid nutmeg - there's a reason kids once used it (very commonly) as a cheap 'high'.
NOT safe for birds - Please read -

"Nutmeg is known to be highly toxic to dogs, causing neurotoxicity. Nutmeg contains psychoactive substances that, in large doses, can cause poisoning and psychoactive and hallucinogenic effects in people, due to the presence of myristicin in nutmeg.

Whole nutmeg nuts and nutmeg spices are considered a risky food for parrots, with no reason to provide them with this food. The potential health risks make this is a food that is not suitable for birds to consume."
Thanks for the information! Better safe than sorry :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Okay, cool! I think I have some garlic powder and ginger powder, as well as golden flaxseed (Bob's Red Mill). I used to have a wheat grass plant in Chirp's cage (100% organic) but then it died because the roots were effectively strangling the plant. I'll pick up another one next time I go to Petsmart.

I know for a fact I have cayenne pepper, and I think I've got cinnamon, but I'm not sure what kind. Is there any way to easily tell between Cassia and Ceylon varieties?