• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I hope I am in the correct place for questions
I am hoping someone will have the answer as to why my little girl(Chloe)has been lifting one foot up? and there are eenings when she switches on feet. It's like she will lift one for a hour, then the other for a hour. I keep her cage very clean, is this just something they do? or?

Also I was wondering if someone would know of a site, I could go to (or how do I look at sites listed on this site) find those Capes" that us pet bird owners can wear to protect our clothing from those "poopy" times. I don't feel is is good for a birds health to try to train them to hold their poop. I know as humans, I know I wouldn't/couldn't do it!, lol for real
Thanks replies will be so appreciated

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
What you are describing is normal behavior; birds can either sit or stand on their legs and their legs get tired: so birds will stand on one leg for a while and then switch to the other one when tired. This is most obvious in water birds who hunt for fish and such like herons.

Make your own poop cape with a large bath towel. Drape it over your shoulders and down you back and front like a shawl. Easy, fast and efficient.

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
Thank You so much for your answers, very helpful!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
You can train your bird to poop at designated spots.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Sunflower has a poop perch over the trash can that she uses when she feels like or she wants a treat. Otherwise, she poops wherever. It does cut down on the amount to clean up, though.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I personally just use a towel over my shoulders when I'm letting a bird sit on me. I personally am not a fan of poop training as sometimes birds can take the training a little too far and hold their poop for longer than they should causing health problems if you forget to put them over their poop zone. I usually use a handtowel and shrug it over my shoulders :) I also keep baby wipes near by to clean up any messes that happen

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I hope I am in the correct place for questions
I am hoping someone will have the answer as to why my little girl(Chloe)has been lifting one foot up? and there are eenings when she switches on feet. It's like she will lift one for a hour, then the other for a hour. I keep her cage very clean, is this just something they do? or?

Also I was wondering if someone would know of a site, I could go to (or how do I look at sites listed on this site) find those Capes" that us pet bird owners can wear to protect our clothing from those "poopy" times. I don't feel is is good for a birds health to try to train them to hold their poop. I know as humans, I know I wouldn't/couldn't do it!, lol for real
Thanks replies will be so appreciated

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I still cannot find what to click on, to post a question, I've been reading but still cannot figure it out, so I just happened to find a spot here(I don't even know how I found this)
Hoping someone can help me out, I (by mistake) purchased cockatiel seed, with the shelled sunflower seeds and stuff in it. Would it be ok to give this to my Chloe, she is a budgie? I also have some black and white sesame seeds, would it be fine to feed her these as well?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
At the very top left, where it says "forums" in blue - click that. Choose which forum seems most appropriate for your questions and click that. You will see a 'start new thread' button. That is how you post a new question.
I will let the budgie people answer about the food. :)