• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions regarding getting a second p'let

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
I thought I'd post a new thread as the questions I have aren't really related to my other one as I think I've decided to go for another p'let for Gizmo's new friend/neighbour. Gizmo is female and will be 1 year old on 27th January.

If I get another p'let is it better to go for a male or another female? or doesn't it matter?

Would it be better to get another p'let that is the same age as her (I always seem to have pets with large age gaps so one out lives the other :( although 1 year is a pretty small gap for a change) or get another from a baby so I can bring it up so it's used to our routine like Gizmo? or again does this not really matter from the birds view point?

Is it essential (I know it's probably preferable) to get another celestial p'let if I'd like them to share a cage at some point? (obviously if it they want to, they can just stay as neighbours and have free flight time together)

If I was to have opposite sexes and they eventually wanted to live together in the same cage how do you discourage breeding, I'm no good at rehoming babies I always end up keeping them and don't want to have more birds than I can comfortably look after?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm relatively new to p'lets and have always had a mixed flock before

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
I spoke to Gizmo's breeder and he suggested another female as I don't want to breed. What do you guys think?