• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions on making wood toys

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have a couple of questions
I am getting ready to dye my next batch of wood blocks. I have tried a couple of methods of drying them (on paper towels, on real towels...). All those methods result in one side (the side sitting down) having the color pulled out. I don't want to go back and re-dye one side as I have hundreds of blocks to do. How do you dry toys so the color ends up even?

On FB, someone is selling kiln dried hardwood-Oak, walnut, and one other I can't recall. He says they are clean, no chemicals, no preservative, no stain/polyurethane, just wood he buys and then sells the scraps. He said they are pretty dry and will crack easily. He is selling 40 pound boxes for $5-$8 dollars. Says most of his customer use the wood for making bird houses or for campfire kindling.
I did buy a box-most are perfect parrot sized, some would need to be cut in half/thirds. Does this sound like the type of wood that can be used? I believe I have mostly used pine and balsa/buy in bulk from Avian Antics (I think that is the shops name). I need to make toys for my bird/friends birds and the local rescue would like some for Macaws and Cockatoos (and others)

Thank you for recommendations

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Place the dyed wood on a metal rack or piece of metal fencing. Place bricks or blocks under the metal rack/fencing to keep it up. Put paper underneath to catch the drips.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I use a wire mesh or like a cooling rack that you would put baked goods on to cool, those are called cooling racks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use thin towels but I also dye with isopropyl alcohol, so I feel like I have minimal ghosting? So it could depend a bit on how you are dyeing. Otherwise yeah, using wire racks is the way to go.

I think oak and walnut are often on Not Safe lists.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Thank you for the replies. Looks like I have some kindling for campfires and that is ok. Thanks for the responses, the safety aspect is most imp. I don't want to take chances.
And will look on amazon for something wired for drying toys. @Mizzely, I also use isopropyl alcohol. Thinking I should let them also stay in the dye a bit longer.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just do a quick dip :)

Definitely would look at cooling racks If you're looking on Amazon!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
This is what I use. They are plastic and rinse easily. Dont have to worry about rust as I have had cooling racks rust over time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]