• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

questions for my next phone call to the avian vet

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
I called the poor receptionist four times on Friday asking about cages and stuff until I ordered the right cage. on Monday I want to make sure that I have all my questions lined up and ready to go so that I can ask them all at the same time instead of calling over and over. these are my questions so far:

- Leaf was said to be male, should I get a DNA test just to be 100%?
- Should I clean the cage before I set him up in it?
- Are certain dried fruits okay?
- He still has his leg band, should I get that removed? If so, is there anything that I can replace it with like a microchip or something?
- Should I keep him fully flighted (he’s been fully flighted his whole life, to my knowledge)? If I decide to clip him, can you teach me the right way to do it? I work full time and need to minimize trips as much as possible.
- If I choose to make some toys on my own, what should I avoid?
- Flight suits and bird leashes; good, bad, great, or should I just avoid? If good to have where can I get a good one and how do I go about getting him used to it?
- Socialization: is it possible, is it beneficial? If so, how do I go about doing that?
- How much do vet visits cost?
- Do Sun Conures sit with their beaks slightly open or is that an indication that he needs a beak trim?

are there any other questions that I should consider to ask? I know he's due for a vet visit as I'm 100% positive his previous home never took him so I just need to save up for that.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Actually, all of those questions other than the last two can be answered by members of this forum. Is your bird a Sun Conure and how old is he and how long have you had him? You don't need to irritate the poor receptionist to get the answers to your questions.

I'll answer one question for you and then allow the people who are more familiar with small birds answer the rest of your questions.
Don't clip his wings. A bird needs his wings to fly and that is what a bird was built to do. Wings are very important for his cardio/respiratory and mental health. Read this thread, then if you have additional questions, ask them. wing clipping | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
he's a Sun Conure and he's turning 8 tomorrow.

thank you! :) I don't want to be that "annoying bird owner" with all the questions. his doctor is Dr. Burkett out of Durham since I live in NC. I don't really want to clip his wings but I'm scared that if my roommate comes home and I'm either not paying attention or not aware that he'll fly out the door. I suppose I could ask my roommate to call when he's on his way home so I can cage him. I really like him being able to fly, to be completely honest. he can get more exercise with that.

his cage coming is a Kings Cage with these specs: 32"W x 23"D x 69"H with 5/8" bar spacing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I personally would just to ensure you don't have to keep an eye on things like egg binding behavior

I would to remove any type of manufacturing or shipping residue

Yes but remember that they are concentrated forms of the fruit. So they can eat a lot more in one sitting, but that way it has a lot more sugar than they'd otherwise consume. You should also look for ones that are unsulphered and unsweetened. Freeze dried usually are free of both.

- He still has his leg band, should I get that removed? If so, is there anything that I can replace it with like a microchip or something?

I did not remove it from either of my birds, but there is a degree of risk involved with that. They can get caught on stuff. A sun conure should be big enough to microchip.

- Should I keep him fully flighted (he’s been fully flighted his whole life, to my knowledge)? If I decide to clip him, can you teach me the right way to do it? I work full time and need to minimize trips as much as possible.

Don't clip! Especially if he's been flighted his whole life! Birds who can fly are healthier, more confident, and usually less noisy. They are built to fly so taking that away puts them at risk for heart disease, and not having a way to expend that energy means that they can get bored easily.

This is a good list:
Flock Call - List of Parrot Safe tees, plants, and herbs

- Flight suits and bird leashes; good, bad, great, or should I just avoid? If good to have where can I get a good one and how do I go about getting him used to it?

They can be great! Aviator is considered the "best" but you definitely have to work with them to take it. The Aviator actually has a training video to show you how to get them acclimated. Some birds will never take to them.

- Socialization: is it possible, is it beneficial? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Birds are social creatures. Start off slow by getting to know him first, and then you can try to expand his world. Figure out what his favorite treat is, and then withhold that for training and socialization purposes only.

I never get out for under $75. I have paid as much as $350 for checkup and bloodwork.

- Do Sun Conures sit with their beaks slightly open or is that an indication that he needs a beak trim?

Would need to see a photo probably to see, or your vet could tell you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Males can't lay eggs... so knowing that information could be extremely important in a life or death type situation.

Yes. Soap and hot water. Straight vinegar sprayed on. (doesn't have to be rinsed off) Either or both would be fine!

As treats, yes! Banana, mango, papaya, strawberry, etc.

As part of the diet? No.

Avian vets can microchip birds.

Charlie, my mitred conure, is 23 this year and still has his leg band. It was thanks to his band that I was able to learn about his parents. He's a first generation captive bred parrot, both parents having been wild caught imports. He wears a closed band.

Sylphie, the ARN on the other hand, I had her leg band removed. Due to her band information, as per my contacts, she is a wild caught import as of May 2013. Age unknown, since there's no information on how old she was when captured. (i.e. adult or baby) She had an open leg band and she bit at it enough that it was getting tight on her leg.

Clipping is no guarantee that birds wont take off and fly off outside....

Pictures - Wing trims and flying | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Maybe ask your roommate if they could knock before entering and wait for an "okay"? Or maybe see if you could put up some temporary barrier around the front door? Like floor to ceiling curtains?

Sometimes, toys from dogs, cats and small animals can make great toys for birds, too! Just be careful and avoid long strings or loops or hoops large enough that a bird could get a head or foot through but not their body. Avoid small bells with clappers if you can, or remove them.

As an example, a toy like this
Bell Lee Dancer Bird Toy

Could potentially be more dangerous than this
Bird Toys: Stainless Steel Bell: DrsFosterSmith.com

Or a toy like this... as long as it doesn't break or they can't get to the bell inside, I would recommend something like this
Small perforated plastic ball mouse cat toy ring-Petsoo.com

But I would not recommend this toy...
Leaps & Bounds Lattice Ball Cat Toys | Petco Store

There are many great DIY sites for ideas and many places to buy toy parts!!!! Don't forget to look into foraging toys, too!!!

Agreed that the Aviator Harness is "the best", although the Feather Tether is easier to put on... Aviator is more expensive, but as mentioned, it comes with a "training DVD". Also, a lot of information in the following thread can be used to help train a bird to wear a harness. :)

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Find people willing to work with your bird, even if it's just dropping a treat in his cage as they walk by. If possible, look for local bird clubs. Bird people are more willing to interact with strange birds than strangers are. Socialization can be as simple as allowing someone else to give your bird a treat! They don't even need to have the bird take the treat from them, simply placing the treat down near the bird is enough!

Doing a quick search, I found this place...

Home

This varies from vet to vet as well as location. It costs me at least $40-$60 just to walk in the door. Gram stain is about $30, bloodwork $90+. X-rays were about $100.

Full bloodwork could easily be $600-$800 though...

You'll have to define "open". (aka pictures would help!)

It can vary from species as well as between individual birds. In some birds, it's normal! In others, it's a sign of an overgrown beak.

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
I'll take a good picture when I can get him to sit still long enough. but this is a good example that I pulled off of google:

that's generally how open his mouth is. I'm going to google a bird DNA kit or just get that done when I get him a full work up by the vet (one thing I want to do before I take him out anywhere, in the first place along with getting him more used to me).

tomorrow I plan to give him Harrison's with the pellets he was on with the woman he was previously with along with some broccoli, green/red/yellow pepper, cauliflower, cucumber, and lettuce. I work 12-8 tomorrow so I have all morning (I typically get up around 6-730 every morning) with all of them (both him and the dogs which are kenneled when he's out) and I'll call the vet to see what the general cost is going to be and ask if they'd be willing to work with me. I definitely want to get him a full work up before anything else.

also thank you both for the advice! I was pretty worried about not cleaning the cage when it came in. I'll grab some vinegar next time I'm out. is there any soap that would be better than another brand to use? I have Dove and Softsoap in the pump bottles.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Dish soap. Dawn if you have if, if not, that's okay, too!

As for beak, hard to say for sure. It may or may not be normal for him.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
My first visit to the vet with Ernie was a total of $278. But that was a total work up since he had never been vetted with any of his previous owners. His repeat labs were another $158 a month later, but that included the beak trim. I think a lot has to do with what area you live in.

As for the leg band, as long as it is closed, it is a personal choice as long as you are careful. Rhema's was cut off because it slipped above her elbow joint and I was afraid it would cause big problems since I couldn't slide it back down.

Wing trims are again a personal choice, but a fully flighted bird is a happier healthier bird in my opinion.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I called the poor receptionist four times on Friday asking about cages and stuff until I ordered the right cage. on Monday I want to make sure that I have all my questions lined up and ready to go so that I can ask them all at the same time instead of calling over and over. these are my questions so far:

are there any other questions that I should consider to ask? I know he's due for a vet visit as I'm 100% positive his previous home never took him so I just need to save up for that.
1) A DNA test is just up to you. It's not that important to have done, it's nice to know, but unless you are breeding it doesn't matter all that much. But it is also an inexpensive test that only takes a drop of blood.
2) If it's his familiar cage from his old home, I would clean it a bit, but keep the perches and toys in about the same spots for how, he will have enough changes to deal with.
3) Dried fruit is OK but should be considered a treat-only food. Unsulphured fruits are best.
4) The leg band usually isn't a problem. You can leave it and ask the vet. Rarely, a band can become caught on a toy or get a bit of grit stuck under it which rubs the skin raw, so some people prefer to remove them. Microchipping is possible.
5) I would lean towards keeping him flighted. If he is tame but flighty or panicky, then a slight clip can sometimes help to keep him safer until he learns where windows are ect. But if he is already used to flying around in a house, he should have a pretty good concept of windows. I would go through and mark any large windows for him (anything more than 18" square without panes or screens to make it more visible). You can use a line of masking tape or rub a bar of soap on the outside of the window to make it more visible to him, temporarily.
6) There are lots of great toys you can make. Among the things you should avoid are anything with long fibers that could get wrapped around his leg or toe (cotton rope is OK for toys, but exposed rope should be trimmed short; paper rope or veggie tanned leather is safer), galvanized metal parts/clips (you can buy stainless steel or nickle clips, bells, ect. from most places selling bird toy parts), and any toy parts with loops or rings that are about the size of his head that he could get caught in. Also jingle-type bells (the ones with little holes in them) can sometimes trap toes, so you are better off using bells with clappers - check to be sure the clapper is sturdy and cant be removed by a bird.
7) Not all birds will tolerate flight suits/harnesses. It's like harnessing a cat - some will tolerate it, especially if introduced to it young, and some will effectively become paralyzed when harnessed. I would start by taking a short piece of yarn or ribbon and playing with him with it - petting him with it, ect. Then I would try pinching it into a loop with your fingers and putting it over his head for a few seconds and then praising him. If he's fine with this, that's a good sign that he might tolerate a harness with training. The Aviator is a good harness. Flight suits cover more of the body and seem more uncomfortable, but they are easier to put on (using velcro instead of buckles) so some birds may accept them better.
8) Socialization is always a good thing! Usually it refers more to baby birds - socializing them by exposing them to lots of different people and situations while they are still too young to be scared. Adult birds can be socialized too, of course, you just need to be a little more patient with them. And I would give him a bit of time to settle in before taking him places.
9) Vet visits depend on the vet and where you live. For my GCC, a vet visit runs about $100 plus another $125 every other year for bloodwork. Now that she's 18, the cost is a little higher since she gets bloodwork done every year.
10) The beak slightly open doesn't really sound normal. It could be from an overgrown beak, or because he's breathing hard (either from stress/fear or a respiratory problem).

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
The vet in Durham is very thorough with new patients, I'm sure he'll happily go over your questions in detail as well as proper techniques for things to do at your home if you choose to do so instead of taking your bird to vet (nail trims or wing trims if deemed necessary). If the bird is already flighted I would keep it that way if possible. Even if the information is good info on this forum, please heed the advice of your exotic vet as well. Talk to them about what price range you can afford and they'll help you determine what's best for your bird.

Last edited:

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
I love, love, love Dr. Burkett. he's brilliant! I'll be calling today to get an appointment as soon as possible. that way I can talk with him about different things and such like that. they're very good with their patients. we've been going to him for years now, if I lived closer I would love to work with him at the store.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Should I get him DNA tested?
It depends. It's not really needed, but helpful to know because females need more calcium for egg laying.

Are dried fruits ok?
Yes. As long as you avoid dried fruit with added sweeteners or preservatives. Also, avoid fruit pits and seeds.

Should I clean the cage before I put him in it?
Depends. Is it new? If it's new then no you don't need to clean it. If it's used then yes I would advise cleaning it. I normally hose the cage down and then wipe it down with some towels. If it's in need of a better cleaning then use a water vinegar solution.

Flight suits/bird leashes
Flight suits in my opinion are more restrictive then bird harnesses. Since sun conures have powerful beaks in their respect, you would have to carefully inspect your harness before each use to make sure the harness isn't frayed. Sometimes they will break if they lost their integrity due to chewing. Be warned that sometimes it can be a great challenge to get your bird used to a harness/bird suit.

Should I keep him fully flighted?
This depends. I would recommend keeping him fully flighted, but in some cases it's better to have them temporarily clipped then them flying away. If your roommate is opening doors tell them that it would be safer to knock before coming in/out.

Should I remove the leg band?
I've never had a bird with a leg band. Sometimes they can cause problems. I would remove it if it starts causing problems but as of now it's an unnecessary expense (assuming you would take your bird to the vet for removal).

Good luck with your conure! :sun:

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
thank you, all!!

I called this morning and set up an appointment for a physical and DNA test on 3/10. I'll be discussing the other tests with the doctor when I get there and finding a way we can work with my budget. we'll be going over all the questions that I have so far and I'm glad to be getting that all squared away!