• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

questions about lovebird eggs

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
so my female and male just laid their first egg today and I have some questions on how to proceed

When can I start candling?
She decided to lay her eggs outside the nesting box. Is it because the box and the hole were too small?
I want her to have some good nesting material so the egg doesn't roll around on the pee pad. What are suitable nesting materials? Can I give her Timothy hay until I can get better nesting material?
How can I make the egg laying as comfortable as possible?
I give all my lovies cuttlebone and multivitamins as calcium. Is it enough now that she is laying eggs, or should i give her more? If so, how much calcium should the product have?
and any other tips on the egg-laying process and raising lovebirds would be nice

ps: i would've asked all these questions to the breeder i work with but he was in an accident and won't be available in a while so i had to ask here so plz don't send me any hate ❤

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
You can start candling the eggs after she’s been sitting on them for at least a few days. I don’t recall if lovebirds incubate with the first egg or wait until the whole clutch is laid to start incubating.

Sawdust is a good substrate but Timothy hay could be ok. Isn’t there a little hollow carved into the nest box?

Is she eating pellets? Pellets and cuttlebone would be a good amount of calcium . I would worry about a seed diet though.

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
You can start candling the eggs after she’s been sitting on them for at least a few days. I don’t recall if lovebirds incubate with the first egg or wait until the whole clutch is laid to start incubating.

Sawdust is a good substrate but Timothy hay could be ok. Isn’t there a little hollow carved into the nest box?

Is she eating pellets? Pellets and cuttlebone would be a good amount of calcium . I would worry about a seed diet though.

yes there's a hole in the nesting box but I think its to small bc she laid the eggs outside, she has been sleeping inside the box tho

they eat a mix of both pellets and seeds with mostly pellets and they eat veggies with my rabbits

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You can candle +/- day 8 for an accurate result. If you candle too soon, you may see "non-fertile" when that may not be the case, they need time to incubate.

What are suitable nesting materials?
Aspen shavings. If this is not available to you, then coarse pine. Do not use fine pine as can be accidentally inhaled or ingested, scratch eyes etc. Never use cedar (it is toxic).

Can I give her Timothy hay until I can get better nesting material?
Yes, and switch once you bring home the shavings.

cuttlebone
Don't waste your money with cuttlefish bones. They have little usable nutrition for our lovebirds. They're ok for a grooming tool to rub beaks on but that's about all they're good for.
The vitamin supplement is what you should use - only if needed. Given that your birds are on a heavy pellet diet, they should be ok theoretically. Just double check that your pellets do contain vitamin D3 (and obviously calcium, but I think most do). If they don't have vitamin D3, you will need to supplement that.
Great they're eating veggies, be sure to offer some calcium rich foods, but be careful with spinach and kale, I stay away from those foods during breeding as they can impede calcium absorbtion if too much is consumed, so be sure to give in moderation if you feed those.
Eating some seed is fine :)

Is it because the box and the hole were too small?
Do you have the measurements?
Also, where is the box placed? A picture could be helpful.
Is it internal or external?

any other tips on the egg-laying process and raising lovebirds would be nice
Research and learn about breeding. I know you say you have a breeder friend, which is great, but it is important to try absorb as much information as you possibly can on your own.

Some tips off the top of my head,
1. Be sure to have a brooder, formula and all the other neccessary equipment needed for the whole process, including to cater to what-if scenarios
2. Monitor the chicks after hatching, frequently, but without perstering. The adults won't feed the chicks straight away after hatching - the yolk sac is absorbed first.
3. Monitor the health of your parents, again try not to be to present if your birds are not "tame", or are spooked by humans. But it is good to keep an eye on the parents to be sure they are ok.

Lastly, while the hen is laying, be sure to keep an eye on her. She will lay one egg per 24-48 hours until her clutch is complete.
Bookmark this for reference, but be sure to have a read first;

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don’t recall if lovebirds incubate with the first egg or wait until the whole clutch is laid to start incubating
They will be near their eggs, but incubation starts usually after a day or two.
I have found that my first two eggs hatch on the same day. Except my latest clutch.

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
You can candle +/- day 8 for an accurate result. If you candle too soon, you may see "non-fertile" when that may not be the case, they need time to incubate.

Aspen shavings. If this is not available to you, then coarse pine. Do not use fine pine as can be accidentally inhaled or ingested, scratch eyes etc. Never use cedar (it is toxic).

Don't waste your money with cuttlefish bones. They have little usable nutrition for our lovebirds. They're ok for a grooming tool to rub beaks on but that's about all they're good for.
The vitamin supplement is what you should use - only if needed. Given that your birds are on a heavy pellet diet, they should be ok theoretically. Just double check that your pellets do contain vitamin D3 (and obviously calcium, but I think most do). If they don't have vitamin D3, you will need to supplement that.
Great they're eating veggies, be sure to offer some calcium rich foods, but be careful with spinach and kale, I stay away from those foods during breeding as they can impede calcium absorbtion if too much is consumed, so be sure to give in moderation if you feed those.

Research and learn about breeding. I know you say you have a breeder friend, which is great, but it is important to try absorb as much information as you possibly can on your own.

1. Be sure to have a brooder, formula and all the other neccessary equipment needed for the whole process, including to cater to what-if scenarios
2. Monitor the chicks after hatching, frequently, but without perstering. The adults won't feed the chicks straight away after hatching - the yolk sac is absorbed first.
3. Monitor the health of your parents, again try not to be to present if your birds are not "tame", or are spooked by humans. But it is good to keep an eye on the parents to be sure they are ok.

Lastly, while the hen is laying, be sure to keep an eye on her. She will lay one egg per 24-48 hours until her clutch is complete.
i use the Harrison’s pellets I’ve heard it’s good but if it’s not I’ll switch, but are there specific brand of vitaminssupplements I can use right now I use what my local pets store provides

the measurements of the box is about 21 × 13 × 12 cm. Holes diameter is 3,8 cm I can give a picture in the Morning when the birds have outside time the box is on the inside of the cage

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur

how to I make a brooder? is it ok to get a big container like those plastic storage bins and hang up a heating lamp that's 150W?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
how to I make a brooder? is it ok to get a big container like those plastic storage bins and hang up a heating lamp that's 150W?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The box size is ok... but the hole size is very small. I bet she struggles to get in, if she can get in at all. I would look for another box, of if you have to tools to cut the hole bigger, add at least another cm, or two.

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
The box size is ok... but the hole size is very small. I bet she struggles to get in, if she can get in at all. I would look for another box, of if you have to tools to cut the hole bigger, add at least another cm, or two.
yes I have gotten a new box I just have to wait for it to come but one last question should I be worried if she hasn't laid the next egg within 48 hours This is her first-ever clutch so I'm a little extra worried. She laid the first egg at 5:30 AM on the 14th and it's been exactly 48 hours. she poops normally, she just has to push a little harder because of the egg and she's been sleeping on the first egg she doesn't eat on her own (the male feeds her) there are no signs of egg binding as far as I can tell

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The clutch size may vary for first clutches. One of my girls laid two eggs, the other I think it was one, but I can't remember now. Neither laid a "full" clutch for the first time. My third hen wasn't raised by me so I don't know if she laid prior to living with us, but her first clutch here I think, was also 2 eggs.
I have never bred using a birds firsts eggs before. Given this is her first time, hopefully she will be successful, but don't dispair if they are non viable or if something goes wrong. Birds need practice to learn.
Yes, males feed the females. Though she should be encouraged to get up and not sit 24/7. Try coaxing her away from her nest with some millet spray a few times a day, you can feed it through the cage bars if she is happier accepting it that way. You may find she pulls it through and tries to take the stems too to add to her nest.
If she is going to lay another egg, it should be visible after 48 hours if not laid already. If you don't see an egg, perhaps she will only lay one.
Monitor closely.

Hasrat1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hasrat Kaur
The clutch size may vary for first clutches. One of my girls laid two eggs, the other I think it was one, but I can't remember now. Neither laid a "full" clutch for the first time. My third hen wasn't raised by me so I don't know if she laid prior to living with us, but her first clutch here I think, was also 2 eggs.
I have never bred using a birds firsts eggs before. Given this is her first time, hopefully she will be successful, but don't dispair if they are non viable or if something goes wrong. Birds need practice to learn.
Yes, males feed the females. Though she should be encouraged to get up and not sit 24/7. Try coaxing her away from her nest with some millet spray a few times a day, you can feed it through the cage bars if she is happier accepting it that way. You may find she pulls it through and tries to take the stems too to add to her nest.
If she is going to lay another egg, it should be visible after 48 hours if not laid already. If you don't see an egg, perhaps she will only lay one.
Monitor closely.
She laid her second egg a few hours after I posted the question so it’s all good! She doesn’t lay on her eggs 24/7 she’s very happy getting a break from sitting on the egg’s especially since my male won’t stop feeding and loving her while she sits on the eggs

Thank you so much for your answers/advice

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Great update! Happy to hear she is doing ok :)