• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about cockatiel mating and what to explect

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Hello. I own two cockatiels. A female that is at least 7 months old and a male that is at least 1 year old. They both live in the same cage.

Today I saw them mating for the first time. I have a few questions. I do not want babies. But I also don't want to separate them in different cages.

1) How often will a bonded pair lay eggs? For example they lay one clutch, I get rid of them when they lose interest. And then what? Will she try directly for another clutch or it happens only in spring/summer?

I did a little research by myself and this is the gist I got. please tell me if I got it right, or wrong.
- the hen will possibly lay her first egg after 2-3 weeks after the first mating. I have to wait until 4-5 eggs are laid, and then replace them with dummy eggs.

2) How do I know when they lose interest in the fake eggs and I can remove them?

- I have to curb their hormones by making them sleep 15 hours and not provide any material or nesting box.

3) Now that they mated for the first time, should I expect a change in their behaviour or not?

4) Is the calcium provided in Roundybush meintenence pellets enough for the female? If not, what should I provide?

5) If one day we decide to keep 1 egg to grow into a baby chick, how do we do it? Wait untill the clutch is laid (expect all of them to be fertile), switch all eggs but one with fakes, and provide nesting box? And the parrots will know what to do, right? If we ever decide to keep a baby, we don't want to interviene, because we know nothing of breeding (but we would love to add a 3rd cockatiel eventually to the flock, so why not their kid) , so can I count on the pair to raise the baby parrot?

- I also read that I should weight the hen to predict when the egg will come? How much will she gain in weight aprox? If someone knows?

- I also read that just because they are fricking, it doesn't mean the female will produce an egg. Most sites I checked told me that if I put them under drastic hormone hindering routine, even after they mated they might not produce the egg. Is it true? Unfortunatly I am going on vacation for one week and my birbs will have alll the time in the world to enjoy themselves while the pet sitter only comes once a day to feed and change their bedding. So I can not really apply the hormon control right now, but it is really valuable information for the future.

Thank you for reading and thank you for helping!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Unless you have a very experienced breeder to be your mentor I highly suggest not breeding them. There is a chance the parents will not be able to fully take care of the chicks or there may be complications.

For Calcium veggies like kale and eggs with shells are very good for them.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Unless you have a very experienced breeder to be your mentor I highly suggest not breeding them. There is a chance the parents will not be able to fully take care of the chicks or there may be complications.

For Calcium veggies like kale and eggs with shells are very good for them.
I got it. thanks for help. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
1) How often will a bonded pair lay eggs? For example they lay one clutch, I get rid of them when they lose interest. And then what? Will she try directly for another clutch or it happens only in spring/summer?
More than 3 clutches a year from a ´Tiel will class them as a chronic layer and is something you should talk to your vet about. Keep a diary (or mark on a calendar) of when eggs are laid.

I have to wait until 4-5 eggs are laid, and then replace them with dummy eggs.
No. Replace each egg as you find it with a dummy.
I think you are getting confused with the fact that the hen will start to incubate after laying a few eggs maybe?
I like to remove an egg the moment I see it, I do the switcheroo in a way that the birds don´t see me doing it. Each new egg will stand out against the dummys so you will know which to remove. If you get confused, shine a little light and the real egg will glow yellow.

2) How do I know when they lose interest in the fake eggs and I can remove them?
The birds will stop tending to the eggs, so they won´t sit on them or will leave them for long periods of time. A brooding hen won´t leave the eggs for more than approx. 15 mins.

I have to curb their hormones by making them sleep 15 hours and not provide any material or nesting box.
I go for 13 hours sleep and up it should I need to. Correct RE nesting box and material. Also, no nooks and hidey spaces. Incl. out of cage nooks and crannies.

3) Now that they mated for the first time, should I expect a change in their behaviour or not?
Not really. You may find they have less interest in you, but it shouldn´t be a huge change. Eggs may make the hen go into protective mode.

4) Is the calcium provided in Roundybush meintenence pellets enough for the female? If not, what should I provide?
I´m not sure about Roudybush pellets.
I like to feed my hens Kale, broccoli, dill, sprouted lentils, any other dark green veggies I find fresh in the supermarket. I also put the birds out in the sun for 10 mins 3 times a week. The sunshine provides vit D which is needed to actually absorb all the calcium we feed them. Check your pellets for infor on vit D and calcium.
Here´s a good write up on vit D Vitamin D3 for Our Birds

5) If one day we decide to keep 1 egg to grow into a baby chick, how do we do it? Wait untill the clutch is laid (expect all of them to be fertile), switch all eggs but one with fakes, and provide nesting box? And the parrots will know what to do, right? If we ever decide to keep a baby, we don't want to interviene, because we know nothing of breeding (but we would love to add a 3rd cockatiel eventually to the flock, so why not their kid) , so can I count on the pair to raise the baby parrot?
Not all birds make great parents unfortunately.
That is how you would end up with potentially one chick (the method you stated - keeping the first or second egg laid), but it´s never a guarantee that the egg you choose will be fertile, and also that the parents will care for the bird.
Find a breeder who can mentor you, show you how to hand feed and let you see how the babies are taken care of.
Research thoroughly before attempting to breed because when things go wrong, they go wrong quick and there won´t be time to research on the go.

edit; remember, your birds are not sexually mature so you wouldn´t want to be allowing them to breed for at least another year or so. You can use that time to research. Meet breeders, ask local rescues if they have any chicks that you can observe being fed etc.

I also read that just because they are fricking, it doesn't mean the female will produce an egg
Correct, they may be too young just yet. But it´s great you are being prepared :)

? Unfortunatly I am going on vacation for one week and my birbs will have alll the time in the world to enjoy themselves while the pet sitter only comes once a day to feed and change their bedding
Inform the petsitter to be on the lookout and to search for eggs so she can do the switcheroo the same day/day after laying.

Your birds are very beautiful! :loveshower:

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They are quite young to be raising a clutch. A female that is at least 7 months old and a male that is at least 1 year old.

7 months of age for a female is not mature enough. Please do not let them have babies. You can render any eggs infertile or use dummy eggs. Please take a walk through a bird rescue or read about the homeless birds on line. How much experience to you have as a breeder?

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
They are quite young to be raising a clutch. A female that is at least 7 months old and a male that is at least 1 year old.

7 months of age for a female is not mature enough. Please do not let them have babies. You can render any eggs infertile or use dummy eggs. Please take a walk through a bird rescue or read about the homeless birds on line. How much experience to you have as a breeder?
I am not planning on letting them have babies. But since they live in the same cage, they already mated at least once. I only own one cage so im not going to separate them. I came here for advice on how to proceed. From what I gathered, im going to switch the eggs if Candy lays.

Reactions: tka

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
While others have offered great advice I will add my own since I was tagged. In all honesty, your female is way too young to be bred. Laying eggs in her young life could lead to a host of serious health issues. She could become egg bound which will lead to supportive veterinary care and if none is provided could lead to death. She could become a chronic egg layer which is common in cockatiels. Another health concern for an over productive egg layer is Prolapse Cloaca... read this article to better understand it and the causes. My best suggestion will require you purchasing another cage and separating your two. Prevention is the best route to avoid problems for your female and will save you future vet visits. I know this may not be the advise you were looking for but it's up to you to provide a safe and healthy life for both of your birds. There are many female cockatiels that become chronic egg layers without the presence of a male but adding the factor of your two mating this increases the chances of this happening. If you still decide to keep the two together I would suggest providing the largest cage possible and at the very least a flight cage. Exercise is vital for health and condition. Seven month, yes, too young. When I raised conures I waited until my hens were at least two years old before allowing them to breed and started regiments of fortification in diet to ensure a healthy pair in the breeding process. Egg laying is a physical strain on a hens health as is taking care of chicks.

What Is A Prolapsed Cloaca? – Phoenix Landing Blog

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cockatiels living as a pair can be difficult. Eggs may become a fact of life. If she lays eggs, swap them for fake eggs and let her incubate. I'm sure someone else here can provide a link to fake cockatiel eggs. Once she gets tired of the clutch, you can take them away. This may be after only a few days or a couple of months. Once you take the eggs away, or she has abandoned the nest, the cycle may continue with another round of eggs laid and incubation. This may happen several times a year including winter depending on how determined your female is. There really isn't any telling how long it will take after mating to lay eggs. Its not like pregnancy in humans. Sometimes birds have sex on and off for years and never lay eggs. The trigger for egg laying is less the sex act and more the environment that makes a female feel nesty. You may or may not be able to prevent egg laying by not providing a nest box, keeping the grate in at the bottom of the cage, not providing any dark nesty areas or hidey huts. Many female cockatiels are determined enough to lay no matter what you do.

You know when they lose interest because they will stop incubating as much and pretend like they eggs don't exist. Or, they may just start another clutch of real eggs along side the fake ones. It depends on the hen. Female cockatiels can be determined nesters.

Restricting photoperiod and lack of nesting places can help even though it doesn't always work to prevent egg laying.

Change in behavior, depends on the pair. Many males will become cage territorial and just crabby. Females will often remain friendly except maybe when she's not feeling great right around egg laying time. That has been my experience, but that doesn't mean that is what your birds will do.

For calcium, provide a cuddle bone or mineral block. You'll know when she needs extra calcium because she'll go from completely ignoring the cuddle bone to devouring it. When she is actively laying, sometimes I'll supplement with a half dose every other day of a vitamin supplement that contains calcium and vitamin D3. If they are on pellets, you want to go light on the supplements and when in doubt, don't, unless you have reason to believe(active egg laying) that her body is going through crazy amounts of calcium. If she turns out to be a repeat back to back nester, then you might want to consult your avian vet about calcium and vitamin supplements.

I'd discourage you from keeping one egg to raise just because people that go half way into breeding tend to just result in loss of life from babies dying. You'd have to buy some equipment and be ready to hand-raise from day one because first time parents don't always get it right. First time breeders (humans breeding birds) rarely get it right either. If you aren't ready and you are just really, really, really hoping a whole lot that the parents will figure it out, you might end up with dead babies. Since birds often lay an infertile egg or two in every clutch, you'd probably just let her incubate the whole clutch in which case you could end up with one baby or several. You could end up with a whole clutch of dead in shell chicks that never hatch because the parents are so conditioned to be pets, and the owners are so much in their space that the parents don't incubate properly. Again with the loss of life thing. Many first time parents don't know how to feed chicks, or they don't feed enough, or they get distracted from the coming and going of their human friends that they don't keep the baby warm enough. Pet owners just do not have a good track record with baby survival and I'd really encourage you not to do it. I know the temptation is high, but if you want another cockatiel, go to craigslist and buy one that needs a new home. Cockatiels really are one species that is just over bred with a lot of poor quality birds out there from people breeding for color instead of health, or people trying to hand feed when they don't know what they are doing and resulting in a stunted chick, or parent birds that are pets and not good parents half way feeding babies, owners trying some combination to pick up the slack around a work schedule and the chick barely survives but is stunted. If you really want to become a breeder, believe that you have a superior couple of birds that are not related, they are a few years old and maintain good health, are a good average size and weight for cockatiels, body proportions and feather quality are good and you think you might want a starting point to branch out to other species, then a cockatiel would be a good first choice for a breeding pair. If you just want one baby, I'd recommend not doing that.

I don't know about weight gain and loss. I had my cockatiels breeding 30 years ago before we knew to weigh birds. The way I've seen it go with my amazons is that they might gain a modest amount of weight and then loose a scary amount right after laying an egg. I do remember my cockatiels feeling physically lighter after laying.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
thank you guys for the awesome information! I will follow your advice. :)

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Good news friends! I followed the advice with the 14 hours nights and my cockatiel has not laid eggs! They mated a lot 1 month ago and now they are no longer hormonal and no mating. And NO EGGS. yaay!

on the sad part, my male cockatiel only signs when in the mood to mate, so no more singing until the next hormonal period. :(

thanks all for help!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They mated a lot 1 month ago and now they are no longer hormonal and no mating. And NO EGGS. yaay!
It could simply be that the hen was too young :)
My lovie pair started mating at about 6 months old and because of her age, no eggs.

Hopefully these tips prove useful in the future to reduce eggs, but eggs are inevitable for a hen, just remember we are trying to reduce not stop :)

I´m glad all is well ❤