• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

question

Absol1991

Checking out the neighborhood
First off, apologies if this is the wrong section, I'm a tad new here. Secondly, I have a few questions. Back in January I purchased two budgies from Petco, which I'm not sure if that was the right call. I do love them, however I'm not sure if I should have got them from the store. Aside from that, they don't appear to be adapting to me at all. I've got them up to the point where if I leave the cage door open they'll sometimes stand under it and look around, but usually whenever I move around the room a bit they will retreat towards the corner of the cage and perch on the ladder that's over there (which is slanted so they can hop onto a beam). I have not been bitten by any of them except when I first got them (which is understandable), however I'm a bit stuck. I try to spend as much possible time with them as I can, especially since school takes up a lot of that time. I've attempted research but whatever I do doesn't seem to do much. If I put seed in my hand and place it in they'll generally eat from it, and Thoth (my blue-white one) will perch on my finger but will not exit the cage, and Ra will not perch at all currently. They both eat and drink pretty regularly, which I've witnessed countless times (as I have the cage positioned in my room, somewhat near my bed) and show no signs of being ill. I very much do wish to keep them (and will) however any advice or tips on what else I could do to help improve my bond between myself and the two would be very much appreciated. Again, apologies if this is the wrong section, as well as for rambling a bit!

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
As a new, first time bird "caregiver/companion/slave" all I can tell you is that all that really works is.. . patience, patience, patience. I am with my TD, a rescued baby cockatiel pretty much 24/7 as my fiancee and I are full time retired Rv'er's. I've had TD since he/she was only 21 days old. You would think that I could do just about anything with TD, having saved him, handfed him, weaned him, taught him numerous phrases, whistles, songs, etc. But, birds are absolutely nothing like dogs, cats, horses, etc. There's no time frame. No set rules. Trust will be given to you only when they decide it's right to trust you.

I've learned so much from the people here on the Avenue. And have so much more to learn. You'd think that they would be tired of my endless questions and crazy concerns...but these are the best folks you could hope to have connected with. I'm sure the budgie folks will be along shortly.

Welcome to the Avenue! Post some pics of your little flock when you get a chance.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
When Pilo first arrived (to bless us with his presence) we were both so eager for him to bond with us, so much so that we took on all sorts of information and suggestions to achieve that result... Ultimately, as @Alien J suggested is that, no matter what you learn or try... they will bond with you only if they want to and on their terms... so patience is indeed the key and making sure that you are always in their good books! As the saying goes... it won't happen overnight, but it will happen (hopefully, eventually)!

Oh... and when it does... its such a wonderful feeling! So much worth the effort! :cheekkiss: