• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Are Pionus sensitive to dust from other species...e.g. tiels and 'toos? Even with air filters running, it's a constant battle here with dust...

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I responded to your other thread that I THINK they are but others with more direct experience with that should respond as I've always only had one Maxi at a time and loved all of them, even the grumpy ones, as they eventually cave in and decide you aren't out to eat them and are a trustworthy flock mate even if it takes them a while to get there.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
With as many pionus that seem to get asper or other respiratory problems, I would say yes, they have sensitive respiratory systems.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
They are an NEW (oops) world bird and therefore may have more sensitivity to dust. This is waht Beauty of birds has to say.

Pionus:
Pionus Parrots are relatively healthy, though they are more susceptible to aspergillosis infections than other species. The main symptom is heavy, belabored breathing. The pionus is also susceptible to the following diseases:

• Bacterial and fungal infections
  • Feather-picking
  • Mate aggression
  • Psittacosis (Parrot Fever)
  • Pox virus infection (Primary disease of imported birds)
  • Toe necrosis
  • Toxicity, ingestion of metals
  • Vitamin A deficiency / Poor eating habits - Vitamin A occurs in orange-colored produce, such as apricots, cantaloupes, carrots, red peppers, pumpkins and sweet potatoes. To resolve Vitamin A deficiency, try adding foods like sweet potatoes (either cooked or steamed until soft), mashed up with other fruits will be both loved by your pet bird, as much as it is good for her or him. Many birds also enjoy fresh carrot juice - or try offering shredded carrots. Natural sources are preferable over synthetically produced nutrients, which may not be absorbable and could easily be overdosed).
  • Wheezing / Snorting: When excited or frightened, birds of this genus may make a characteristic wheezing or snorting sound that is sometimes mistaken for a sign of distress.

Last edited:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Are you looking to adopt one?

I really do not know the answer, sorry, as I have 2 pi.

@zoo mom @Chantilly Lace you have a pi and a too don't you?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Are you looking to adopt one?
Just gathering info right now...I'd like to bring another bird into the flock in the future, and I do have a flock of dusty birds now. I would certainly not adopt a species that is sensitive to the dust of another species, even with the air purifiers we have.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Your family.is so generous to have such a large well cared for flock.

I used to have tiels. The pionus dust level is just a tad less in my opinion.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
By the way from the list above, I have mainly experienced wheezing which is harmless nervousness and hormonal aggression between 2 male pi (requires uber vigilance ). I ensure lots of vitamin A and haven't had any signs of aspers in either Max whom I have had as a baby or Charlie whom I got when 8. They readily eat squash, broccoli, blueberries, pomegranate, red bell peppers, etc. Our vet visits are wellness and hormonal injury (small cuts). They are pretty healthy and absolutely love being near you. They may not want to be touched at times but they want to be near you. They can be fairly active, not many signs of perch potatoes.

I am not sure how well they would do with smaller birds though. I will not get another tiel while I have Maximus as I believe he has the capacity to harm a smaller bird....easily... Each pionus is different but these are my observations.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Why don't you get an AG? I've always wanted one, no can do with macaws. You can have one for me. Besides Milton needs some competition in smartness.
Hey, it's a always a possibility! All alternatives are on the table that won't compromise a bird's health...:)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I have heard they are but no experience with it here (yet) but I do have a theory as to why. Their nares are tiny proportionally (and their eyes huge). Tiki weighs more than twice Itsy and Tiki's nares are smaller. It doesn't take much to plug them up - dust, feather bits, paper. Every time I get Tiki out I check her nares and often have to wipe them with a wet finger to drag bits of feathers, etc out. Showers help too which pi's usually love. So I'm just supposing that maybe the nares getting so easily plugged could lead to issues.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch used to always get tiny floofies in his nose I was always trying to clear out for him without getting bit. Nerd was always uber skinny and originally had bad feather color like yellowish feathers and was missing several flights on one wing that never seemed to come in properly. I gave him some oily parrot feather vitamin that actually seemed to help. Eventually all the discolored feathers molted out and except for the bad flights he had normal feathers for the rest of his life. Asper was never mentioned the times he went to the vet and they found several issues that concerned them that never changed when checked again so they decided he was just a very skinny version of a Maxi. His blood work always seemed good and he was a happy stubborn runt of a Maxi who just happened to love me and think I was his world.
Lurch was HUGE by comparison weighing about 260 vs Nerds average of 214. I NEVER heard him weeze and he was fearless and not afraid to go after anything that he felt needed it. He was scared to death and quick to bite when I got him and after a mere 5 years decided I was trustworthy and his chosen one. He'd still bite when offended or triggered but he didn't try has hard and started warning me first. I sure miss his grumpy self as we were still making little breakthroughs when he escaped :crycry: Dobby is the most confident, outgoing, socialized, gentle Maxi I have ever had. He weezes when upset but his are very quiet and fast. He has chosen my sister but likes me as well, but she us the one he chases like a puppy, Lurch did that to me, Nerd would just walk to my room to find me making traveling music as he walked.
Lurch talked a lot and sometimes in context, Dobby talks a little unless really excited but loves to whistle and make sounds, Nerd never talked, he spoke wild Pionus and we understood each other perfectly. He also knew his name and had a name for me, babeep, I guess his version of Terry or something. Nerd also loved to finger fight and play certain games, like try to catch me and I'll dive down the back of the cage before you do. I spoke Pionus back to him plus all his nicknames and like that.
Each bird was his own soul with similarities, and their own quirks.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Lurch used to always get tiny floofies in his nose I was always trying to clear out for him without getting bit. Nerd was always uber skinny and originally had bad feather color like yellowish feathers and was missing several flights on one wing that never seemed to come in properly. I gave him some oily parrot feather vitamin that actually seemed to help. Eventually all the discolored feathers molted out and except for the bad flights he had normal feathers for the rest of his life. Asper was never mentioned the times he went to the vet and they found several issues that concerned them that never changed when checked again so they decided he was just a very skinny version of a Maxi. His blood work always seemed good and he was a happy stubborn runt of a Maxi who just happened to love me and think I was his world.
Lurch was HUGE by comparison weighing about 260 vs Nerds average of 214. I NEVER heard him weeze and he was fearless and not afraid to go after anything that he felt needed it. He was scared to death and quick to bite when I got him and after a mere 5 years decided I was trustworthy and his chosen one. He'd still bite when offended or triggered but he didn't try has hard and started warning me first. I sure miss his grumpy self as we were still making little breakthroughs when he escaped :crycry: Dobby is the most confident, outgoing, socialized, gentle Maxi I have ever had. He weezes when upset but his are very quiet and fast. He has chosen my sister but likes me as well, but she us the one he chases like a puppy, Lurch did that to me, Nerd would just walk to my room to find me making traveling music as he walked.
Lurch talked a lot and sometimes in context, Dobby talks a little unless really excited but loves to whistle and make sounds, Nerd never talked, he spoke wild Pionus and we understood each other perfectly. He also knew his name and had a name for me, babeep, I guess his version of Terry or something. Nerd also loved to finger fight and play certain games, like try to catch me and I'll dive down the back of the cage before you do. I spoke Pionus back to him plus all his nicknames and like that.
Each bird was his own soul with similarities, and their own quirks.
:hug8::hug8::hug8: